Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 03:42 PM

16 posts, read 85,676 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if y'all could give me your opinions, and knowledge here:

Hubby and I ( no children--so schools are only an issue for re-sale ) have been living in the Woodlands for the last six years---with my hubby's job in downtown Houston---and many of my interests being located more in the Houston area---the time has come for us to move closer in.....

I know the area(s) that we like---and having spent quite a bit of time downtown/closer into Houston over the years, we are some what familiar with the areas in question

But, let's face it---there is nothing like the opinions and knowledge of people living there right now.....so

A) Royal Oaks Country Club--we looked into buying there 6 yrs back---but the builders at the time were "nickel and diming" you to death---so we passed on it then--"might revisit it now"
1) How bad is the crime there?---the stats are "bad" ( Katrina "issues"?)---but so are some other areas of Houston that we have had friends living in for years---they haven't had any problems (using common sense would be the reason for this---as well as the fact that they were from the burbs of Detriot originally---so they may have always been "commonsensical" about crime-LOL!) is the crime issue more of a problem at night--or also during the daytime?--What I am asking is: Would you feel like a "prisioner" living in Royal Oaks CC?

2) I have heard that there have been some foundation problems there--any knowledge of that? If so, do you know which builders to avoid?
Also, What has anyone heard about the stucco used there ( Yes, I know Houston and stucco are a bad mix due to the humidity--that's why I'm asking---as some builders are better at it than others....) once again..any builders who are better at it "in there" then others??

I've also "heard" that the actual neighborhood (RRCC) it'self is greatly changing--any truth to that?--if so--what's "going on"?? as they say.....

Also, What do you think about "Kickerillo"---areas like "Parkway Villages", and "Lakes on Parkway"?? ( what I want to know---how well are the homes built---how do you feel about Kickerillo's workmanship---does he stand behind his home(s)---and is the area generally safe??)

Last but not least--Windsor Park Lakes is really nice, but very far out of town ( traffic is shear H*LL)--is the builder good?/ Heard of any problems or "issues" within that area?? ( Like I know crime is really creeping up on the highway 6 area---would this area be affected much??)

Other areas in the loop of interest Could only afford townhomes in the areas listed below)

Rice Military
Camp Logan
Area just east of Shepard between Gray and Westheimer---some of the townhomes in the area are newer, and have a little bit of back yard

My question once again: Safety ( of course), and issues with some of the builders in those areas (I know about Lovett and any other name that they build under--as well as Perry---but other names of "poor builders" would be greatly appreciated!!!)

Can't really afford Bellaire, or West U, or the environs ( they all look pretty nice,though...)---nor can I "do" a older fixer-upper home ( like in Briargrove---for example) due to an immune deficiency problem ( mold and me don't mix very well---something that doesn't bother others folks will send my WBC count into the basement----"High Drama", surely--I know---but it's my "reality" so I just have to live with it!!!) and most of the older homes that I have been thru in those areas contain some mold ( I can tell---don't ask me how....) so why bother??

I don't like Meyerland, or Braeswood---those areas--so that's out---as well as most areas right around the Galleria ( except West Haven)

Can't afford new(er) builds in Memorial--although the whole area seem quite nice ( except by those apartments..LOL!)

I really appreciate any and all info you can share with me!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 04:25 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,792,589 times
I don't know if it would work for you or not, but if you are interested in new construction, there is a small pocket adjacent to Candlelight/Oak Forest off of T.C. Jester. There is also one inside the loop between Timbergrove Manor and Old Hempstead. I think it may be Perry tho....

Old 11-09-2007, 10:01 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,416,042 times
Kickerillo is basically a huge building company now with all the work done by supers. Its almost like a luxury tract home company now that builds million dollar homes. That being said, they build a nice home.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:29 AM

Thanks, Guys for all your Help!!

Modster: I will have to drive by that "area" and see what's going on

Mac: Don't mind tract housing--as long as it's fairly well built--I won't be in Kickerillo's "million dollar" home range anyway---but most folks that I know who live in some of his older homes (Twin Lakes-and the like) haven't had any--or at least--too many problems--so that is good

I would be in the "cheap seat" section(s) of the subs I inquired about, anyway--so I'm being extra careful--as sometimes the builders who do a good/great job building homes in the "higher price brackets" can really s*ck at building the homes in the lower price brackets

Any other thoughts, and suggestions will be greatly appreciated from y'all

Old 11-09-2007, 12:22 PM

657 posts, read 2,534,469 times
Royal Oaks Country Club is pretty swank. I wouldn't see crime being a problem. It's gated in and most of the area on Westheimer, Richmond, and Westpark, east of Dairy Ashford is pretty nice. As you get west of D.A there's a lot of dumpy apartments. The main problem is that you would be in Alief school district, which isn't supposed to be too good. I figure the rich people that live there must be sending there kids to private schools.

As for the Parkway ones, those are north of Westheimer near Briar Forest. Lakes of Parkway is fancy and gated. There's also one called Meadow Briar around there. There's another fancy neighborhood called Enclave Lake close by as well. Look at this mansion someone's advertising on Youtube (lol) -
YouTube - 934 Enclave Lake, Luxury Home For Sale In Houston Texas

There's another neighborhood I like out there called Reflections. It's just north of Westheimer, in between Eldridge and Dairy Ashford.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:48 PM

197 posts, read 259,410 times
Kickerillo-Lakes of Parkway is amazing! I went to Westside High School which is next door! I had a friend that lived there and here house was beautiful. I loved the gated community's landscaping and there's a shopping center near by...I have passed Royal Oaks which is pretty nice nice too, but Premont is right. It's on the Alief side of Westheimer, which makes it kind of weird to have such a nice place near some dumpy apartments, still a nice place, but thats Houston.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:41 PM

Thanks Premont, and Houguy for your imput

I think I received one of the answers today to a few questions that I had asked in the intial posting with regards to Royal Oaks Country Club homes

I talked with a realtor today---and they admited that there were a few homes by a certain builder that had some foundation problems---supposed to be corrected now

Also---the same builder had a few homes with some stucco issues ( a few had leaked---and you know what that can do to a home in Houston) supposed to be corrected at this point--Obviously--I have no way of knowing if that's the truth until I dig a bit deeper ( and that will that some time)

Crime?? LOL!! This realtor has been involved in a "car jacking" along Westhiemer a few years back right in the area of RRCC---and in the middle of the day ( pre Katrina "crap") held up at gunpoint for her "upscale ride"

They downplayed this fact ( Take it from someone orginally from Detriot: You don't downplay that "stuff" to me--) saying it happens everyway ( very true) but the fact is: We need to know about it, so you don't kid yourself into believing that you don't need to take precautions with your personal safety.....just because there is some expensive sub right in the area......

Old 11-12-2007, 07:13 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,564,242 times
I checked the zip code this country club is in -- 77082 -- then threw it into a yahoo map. The rest of this area is not necssarily exclusive and I grew up a few minutes south of here. As for the crime, it lies in the west/southwest side of town. That should clue in any local. If you don't think it'll happen here and with good frequency, your head is either in the sand, or you haven't left the country club! However I will say the crime will probably be no worse than any other average place in town.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:46 PM

657 posts, read 2,534,469 times
Except for a few stints out of city, I've lived in west Houston most of my life. I can't say I've ever been mugged or car jacked. Of course it helps that I drive an 8 year old truck with a dent in the side.

The thing is the area is booming. There's all kinds of development where there used to be land. I remember when Richmond ended at Kirkwood and you used to have to take that little road to get out to Alief. Now there's so many people it feels almost like living inside the loop. More and more on the west side of town it's getting to be a suburban/urban blend.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:50 PM

2 posts, read 18,168 times
The area around Royal Oaks has been improving. If you've been looking there, then your budget must be $500K and up. My family lives a few blocks away, and they live in a gated community and haven't had any problems with crime. The Westpark tollway is right there and can take you to Galleria or to 59 easily (but gets busy @715am weekdays).

I bought a brand new patio home plus yard in Rice Military, a few blocks from Camp Logan for $350K. I love it. My commute is great, my house is new, and I have enough yard and patio. You can get bigger and very nice custom homes by Reuther or Tricon for $450K with the yard you desire. For $500k+, Croix and other custom builders.

Camp Logan is a really nice area, but be prepared to spend $450K on an old home, and much more for a new one (most are 1mill+).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston