Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 12:55 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,915,755 times

Advertisements

That is to say - I am not blinded by a sense of home-town loyalty to talk the town up bigger than it is; just someone who grew up nearby and is familiar with the area and the changes it has embraced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 04:09 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I'm guessing, but it possibly could have something to do with "new blood" and fresh ideas. The long standing mayor of Richmond passed away last year after having been mayor since 1949 (yes, really!). Perhaps Richmond leaders are smart (put it to voters and it won) and realize it would be better to follow a model like Sugar Land or The Woodlands as opposed to something like, say, the FM 1960 area (or Cypresswood Blvd or whatever it's called now), the Hwy 6 W area of Houston, or any area that's a big ugly mish-mash and/or has been ruined by overbuilding of apartments. I'm sure places like Cypress, South Katy, etc. wish they could do something similar, but are unable to in Houston ETJ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Exactly

A little political...
Spoiler
but too many people here don't want "Big government to tell us how to do things"
Here's the problem, when that theory is applied to city planning, you end up with a city that looks like a third World city.

Where I grew up in Venezuela there was zero planning
Today, they can't even expand the sidewalks because businesses were built 3 feet from the street.

Yeah, all you have to do is look at a road like Highway 6. Such terrible planning. No sidewalks, too many entrances/exits for each little shopping center, etc. If there was planning, maybe Highway 6 could have been designed like some of the suburban los Angeles major roads and have feeders along them for some of the businesses to take traffic off of the main street. Or be like dfw area cities and add in more raised medians and dedicated turn lanes so cars aren't acting stupid trying to get across the road. Other simple things like right turn yields would help tremendously. si The bad planning is so apparent in the older unincorporated areas. It seems like the newer ones are taking a better approach to planning.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:56 PM

Update on the Comprehensive Master Plan Committee:
They are now opening the process up for public input. Not gonna lie, I'm pretty intrigued by all this and have voiced my opinion accordingly. Feel free to do the same if the city of Richmond and its future are of interest to you:

Richmond's Online Discussion Forum by MindMixer

Old 01-16-2014, 07:33 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
That's because Katy cannot expand. Most of the "Katy area" is unzoned Houston ETJ and some has already been annexed by the city of Houston as a limited-purpose annexation.
Bingo. That's what is funny about all the "Katy" hype - most of those people that say they live in Katy actually live in Houston ETJ. Katy proper is very small.

Richmond, Rosenberg and Fulshear all understand that they are the next stops on the growth train. Each city is going to need to plan for the growth in order to accommodate it because it will come whether the cities are ready or not. Richmond arguably has the furthest to go in terms of modernizing since the city was run by the Moore political machine since the Truman administration and (until recently) has retarded growth in order to maintain a small group of like-minded voters that decided the elections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Is it me or the SW suburbs such as Stafford, Mo. City, Richmond, Rosenberg lack that small town feel?

You don't run into a local family with the same last name as much...the schools feel like suburban schools where tradition is meaningless, etc.
There are really two communities in Richmond and Rosenberg. There are the Hispanic communities and the white communities. You do see a lot of the same names in both towns - primarily Hispanic and Czech names.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Bingo. That's what is funny about all the "Katy" hype - most of those people that say they live in Katy actually live in Houston ETJ. Katy proper is very small.

Richmond, Rosenberg and Fulshear all understand that they are the next stops on the growth train. Each city is going to need to plan for the growth in order to accommodate it because it will come whether the cities are ready or not. Richmond arguably has the furthest to go in terms of modernizing since the city was run by the Moore political machine since the Truman administration and (until recently) has retarded growth in order to maintain a small group of like-minded voters that decided the elections.

There are really two communities in Richmond and Rosenberg. There are the Hispanic communities and the white communities. You do see a lot of the same names in both towns - primarily Hispanic and Czech names.
Great points. If my wife had a nickel for every time I mention to her the "Katy" is actually Houston ETJ point, she could retire from teaching.

Absolutely agree about Richmond being furthest behind, but I wasn't aware of the reasons why. This makes a lot more sense with the recent passing of the mayor and perhaps the situation presenting itself as an opportunity to re-direct the ship of the city's future.

I think Richmond could use a combination of revitalization of its historic areas, growth into its ETJ, possibly utilizing land east of the Brazos on 90-A as a commercial town center development, and (for the love of all that is holy) make it clear where Rosenberg ends and Richmond begins.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:36 AM

360 posts, read 665,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
Great points. ... and (for the love of all that is holy) make it clear where Rosenberg ends and Richmond begins.
Lol! I've been living in Richmond for a little over a year and it is quite unclear as to where these two towns end and begin. Sure, there's a sign or two on US-90 but they don't really help.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:43 AM

82 posts, read 177,707 times
Where in Richmond do you folks recommend for a budget of $350K. Commute to downtown for work is not a concern. Just want a nice area that is safe and sound.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovieN View Post
Where in Richmond do you folks recommend for a budget of $350K.
I would look at some of the neighborhoods along FM 723 by Foster HS, by FM 359, or off of FM 1093. We bought a house in Lakes of Bella Terra off of FM 1093 in April and are very pleased so far, though technically we are just outside of Richmond's ETJ.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by key2thecity View Post
Lol! I've been living in Richmond for a little over a year and it is quite unclear as to where these two towns end and begin. Sure, there's a sign or two on US-90 but they don't really help.
Been living in the area since I was 5 and some of the overlap still confuses me as to where I am. General rule of thumb though:

Richmond is east / northeast, Rosenberg is west / southwest. All the growth off of 59 is Rosenberg, whereas Richmond is more concentrated along FM 762 and 90-A.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:49 AM

82 posts, read 177,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
I would look at some of the neighborhoods along FM 723 by Foster HS, by FM 359, or off of FM 1093. We bought a house in Lakes of Bella Terra off of FM 1093 in April and are very pleased so far, though technically we are just outside of Richmond's ETJ.
Thank you for the suggestion. I am sorry but what is ETJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston