Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 12:46 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,364,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desihorn View Post
We have a major mosquito problem as well being near the creeks and parks near the belt. I keep thinking about these but came upon these concerns listed here (Position on Misting Systems) and here (Outdoor residential misting systems (including mosquito misting systems) | Fact Sheets | About Pesticides | Pesticides | US EPA). The key points are -

1. It is unnecessary pesticide release into the environment. Nothing against pesticides but is it targeted and efficient ?
2. It kills the "good" bugs.
3. It increases the risk of unnecessary exposure for kids and pets.

As someone who is happy with this system, what is your point of view on these points ? Thank You.

BTW..one of the best options is a fan though having the coverage all over the lawn is not viable.

The pesticide (pyrethrum) is used in our system is a natural pesticide extracted from a flower (can't recall the name) and has been proven to not be harmful to humans and pets, but it does have a low toxicity and warns not to be outside standing underneath one of the sprays when misting. Our system allows you to remotely skip a misting if you plan to be outside.

As far as the bugs issue is concerned, we have a thriving mini-herb garden, potted plants and a couple potted fruit trees that are doing great and not affected by the insecticide. We used to have a couple birds living under our porch in a tall metal decorational planter that had a bowl shaped area at the top. They lived there for a few months until they hatched a few eggs and 'relocated'. They were always exposed to the misting system, but they did fine and went along their happy way once their hatchlings were able to fly. I'm not sure what bugs are the good ones besides spiders (which eat smaller pests), but if we are killing off other insects that help the ecosystem, I wouldn't know what they are. I just know that our outdoor living spaces look great, and we have no pests flying around, biting us or crawling up our legs. What I'm happy most with is that there are no more darn water bugs, and even more, wasps. I absolutely hate them. But, they can't survive as long as we have a misting system.

The mist kills a variety of pests, including most flying insects, lice, ticks, chiggers, spiders, roaches..I'm sure there are quite a few more.

The only reservation I have about the system is that it leaves a residue after several months on surfaces. It's white and only apparent if you don't wipe down your windows and patio furniture down after several months. It's a compromise that I'm happy to deal with though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 12:51 PM

70 posts, read 230,641 times
Thank You deckhanddavy

Old 07-16-2013, 04:25 PM

292 posts, read 547,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I had one of those for a while, and it seemed to cost me around $5 per mosquito. After a couple of years, I sold it. Right now, I spray cutter, but I plan to get a misting system.

Before buying a "magnet", do a lot of reading. Either myself and a whole lot of people don't know how to use those propane mosquito traps, or they aren't worth much at all.
That is strange, the magnets work great for us. I use to have to empty the trap almost every day, when we first used it.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:11 PM

175 posts, read 367,420 times
Thanks for all the great info, people!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:28 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,839 times
monarch butterflies are on the verge of collapse as well as bee populations. bees are responsible for 35-50% of our pollution for the foods we eat in this country. general pesticides DO harm these insects as well as lady bugs and other beneficial insects. you may be annoyed by mosquitos but your next door neighbor trying to maintain a butterfly garden for migrating populations is seeing their larva and visitors die.

the clip on mosquito repellant fan has worked well for me as well as common sense bug repellant sprayed on your person. if you spend a lot of time in your outdoor kitchen install a couple of ceiling fans. air circulation keeps them away. dont have bodies of stagnant water in your yard. your pond may be interesting but unless you keep it well stocked with mosquite larva eaters you are creating a cesspool of mosquitos

Old 07-16-2013, 08:36 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,364,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronstew View Post
Thanks for all the great info, people!
No problem! Good luck with the system u decide to go with. It should prove a really great investment if you enjoy spending time outside with your family or outside in general.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:44 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
On another note, if you spray continually, you *will* eventually get mosquitoes that are resistant to the pesticide, particularly if you are spraying only a single pesticide.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:23 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
monarch butterflies are on the verge of collapse as well as bee populations. bees are responsible for 35-50% of our pollution for the foods we eat in this country. general pesticides DO harm these insects as well as lady bugs and other beneficial insects. you may be annoyed by mosquitos but your next door neighbor trying to maintain a butterfly garden for migrating populations is seeing their larva and visitors die.

the clip on mosquito repellant fan has worked well for me as well as common sense bug repellant sprayed on your person. if you spend a lot of time in your outdoor kitchen install a couple of ceiling fans. air circulation keeps them away. dont have bodies of stagnant water in your yard. your pond may be interesting but unless you keep it well stocked with mosquite larva eaters you are creating a cesspool of mosquitos
Valid point. I will do some more research on the misting system and it's effect on other insects before purchasing.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:07 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,777,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post

All great advice. My issue is my neighbors pool has a leak, so he's pretty much abandoned it. We have bad mosquitos and I've had west nile before, I'm very concerned for my 22 month old, and our newborn, any time we walk out the back door to get to the garage. Forget about enjoying our large covered patio. A misting system might very well be in our near future.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:00 AM

70 posts, read 230,641 times
They just seem to like some people more than others. After the rains yesterday, I go out with my 18 month old and 4 year old to enjoy the lush/ green backyard. . We put natural bug spray on all of us. The little one and I come back indoors after an hour with maybe 1 or 2 bites. The 4 year old is eaten alive with bites too numerous to count in the same time ! The after-bite roll-on stick is what is keeping him sane..Temporary pain but it is god-send to prevent wounds from itching and going crazy itching all over. Of course it offers no protection against West Nile or anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston