Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 10:10 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXbywayof View Post
Those Northgate Forest homes are incredibly beautiful! And what a price point! These homes easily rival Memorial. So what has happened to this stretch of FM 1960? I know it looks nothing like it did 30 years ago. Very run down...but why? I use a contractor who lives in Huntwick...another beautiful community. He is very depressed about what is going on around him and the devaluation of homes in the area. I guess it catches me off guard that these beautiful neighborhoods cannot keep the area afloat. Too many apartments? What IS the deal?
Huntwick on the north side of 1960 imo is still somewhat desirable. Klein and Cy-Creek HS are still ok from what I can tell. There are some stretch of houses in the champions area that is quite pricy. The Cutten road area on the north side also have some $300+ houses and they are zoned to cy-fair. I don't know if i want to live that close to 1960 though as you constantly see people walking to the bus stop. The daily metro bus stops really make the whole 1960 area look worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 10:53 AM

23,975 posts, read 15,078,314 times
The 1960 area always has been the whipping boy for some people. It started as far back as the 70's.

Ponderosa Forest is a good neighborhood. The problem is the high school it is zoned to, as well as parts of the area north of 1960 zoned to Klein Forest. It's a hard sell. If you have no need for public schools, go for it. Since there is a perceived decline, you'd be better off, money wise, in Huntwick

We tried to sell our house in Woods Of Wimbledon 2, between Huntwick and the creek and hardly anyone would look. Since last spring they are going for $80-100 a foot. It is some of the best property bargains in Houston.

Many people here put down the area. I'll never understand why. Must be because we have a bus down 1960 now.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:19 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
It is amazing how many people blame METRO for decline? Really, people? Just because people who don't want to or can't afford personal car transportation now are able to live in your school zone or get to jobs and services nearby, that destroys your neighborhood?

And again, with the criticism of starter homes. Are kids living in a $110,000 KB home going to ruin your schools?

In general, there's nothing instrinsically bad about apartments - all areas with commercial development should have them - it's just when their tenant standards become too loose you start getting negative impacts.

From my perspective, the devaluation of homes in the area has come from: (1) the perception of the schools (specifically Westfield HS and Klein Forest HS) - and suburban home values are still overwhelmingly driven by school desirability (2) Some of the design and construction features on the early 1970s homes that are considered undesirable today, compared to newer homes (3) The poor design of both FM 1960 as a street (high traffic volume, no landscaping until Green Medians arrived, no sidewalks) and the commercial developments alongside (poorly designed stores and strip malls that haven't aged well, awful signage clutter), which creates an unwelcoming gateway to the neighborhoods, especially compared to commercial streets in places like The Woodlands, Sugar Land etc. where landscaping and signage is more controlled and maintained.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:25 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
The area reminds me of west Memorial before it became popular in recent years. If enough people see the value there and move in, the perception of the schools improving will follow. But it takes a few pioneers. I am always curious what the inflection point is, either on the way up and down.

I would pay a premium to be near public transit, but that is unusual in Houston apparently.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
It is amazing how many people blame METRO for decline? Really, people? Just because people who don't want to or can't afford personal car transportation now are able to live in your school zone or get to jobs and services nearby, that destroys your neighborhood?
I blame the people that Metro bring in to the area. Am I being racial? Kind of, but fact remains crime go up with certain ethnic groups. There is a reason Sugarland is the least dangerous area in Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
And again, with the criticism of starter homes. Are kids living in a $110,000 KB home going to ruin your schools?
Kind of also. Unfortunately lower income houses in ethic majority neighborhood tend to have parents whom don't value education as much. Am i stereotyping? Kind of, but is also back with facts.

I live in this area half my life. It is a shame what happens to 1960.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:59 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,760,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
I blame the people that Metro bring in to the area. Am I being racial?
Kind of also. Unfortunately lower income houses in ethic majority neighborhood tend to have parents whom don't value education as much. Am i stereotyping?
To answer your question, Yes and Yes.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
To answer your question, Yes and Yes.
I didn't ask a question. I was stating my opinion on what the area has become. Most people that used to live in the neighborhood obviously felt the same way somewhat as you can see how the neighborhood change. There are people in this discussion wondering why it is so cheap, I am giving them my opinion on why. I am not going to beat around the bush and be politically correct.

Do you live in katy? If i may ask, why you move so far out there?

Old 01-16-2014, 01:26 PM

23,975 posts, read 15,078,314 times
I guess all those thugs stealing TV's and robbing jewelry stores get away by bus.

We all want clerks at the drugstore and busboys at restaurants but NIMBY.

The bus runs through River Oaks.

The perception of lawlessness comes straight out of Commissioner's Court habitually underfunding the HCSO and the Constables. They, in turn, make money off of "private police" from HOA's. Time was when the crime was by the employees of builders and various LEO's trying to get contracts from HOA's.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:17 AM

222 posts, read 450,489 times
Thanks for the info guys. based on HAR pricing it looks like the area is getting more expensive at a pretty quick rate. I will be looking at more houses saturday and I am hoping to buy a house this year.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:36 AM

27 posts, read 47,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
The area reminds me of west Memorial before it became popular in recent years. If enough people see the value there and move in, the perception of the schools improving will follow. But it takes a few pioneers. I am always curious what the inflection point is, either on the way up and down.

I would pay a premium to be near public transit, but that is unusual in Houston apparently.
Thats why i bought in Huntwick north of 1960 (literally 2 mins walking). I don't have hobos walking in my neighborhood like many have implied. I see opportunity. With Exxon coming to the area and Noble energy building off 249 I just don't see a decline. I hope im right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston