Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 12:05 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,354,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
I have no clue as to what the going rate of a HS stadium is, but that's a pretty subjective statement.
But youre looking at 68 million to give a bunch of kids and their town a huge ego vs pumping millions more into education. I know from living in small town America that Sports > Education in every aspect. Cut funding for the arts and education before you cut funding to sports.

Groing up in Ireland we won all kinds of national championships in my school but all moneys went to education and not sports. Sports are great, but education is generally better. All huge sports programs at high school level is produce egos imho, i mean in reality whats the % of kids in the high school that went on to play NFL ? I am pretty sure its a small %.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 12:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,518 times
ISDs fund capital projects with proceeds from selling general obligation bonds (usually). I doubt that Katy ISD has $68 million in the bank that it is considering to use for this football stadium. It would issue debt and pay it off over the next 25-30 years. Principal and interest payments on this debt would be paid from a portion of the property taxes levied during the maturity of those bonds. The tax rate is composed of two portions, the M&O (maintenance and operating) and I&S (interest and sinking). The property tax revenue generated from the I&S rate would pay off the bonds and cannot be used for any other purpose. The thing about governmental finance that needs to be understood is that many times revenue streams can only be spent on certain activities. M&O property tax revenue, in addition to state and federal funds, can be used for instruction related expenditures.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:38 AM

243 posts, read 796,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonlibrarian View Post
Where do you suggest that they play?
I am sure they will make quite a bit of revenue from the stadium through the years.
i know for sure katy sells most of tickets to season ticket holders. i am one. most of the upper section with the exception of maybe 25 seats are sold before the season. then you add in concessions. then they have sponsors. its quite a show. the big tv in the endzone makes rhodes special. we get to see instant replays right away. fans really love it.

also, cinco ranch and seven lakes sell alot of season tickets. they probably sell 80% of the upper section annually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
I don't know. My high school had bleachers. Hell my college had bleachers! 68 million dollars for football? It makes me wonder what values we teach our kids. 68 million could do so much more towards an actual education. It will generate some minor revenue. It might pay itself off in 1000 years. 68 million is a ton of money. This is just absurd!
they do way more than play football there. they play soccer and other field games in the spring. our youth football teams play their "super bowl" there. they also have a program in katy isd that allows students to learn media (cameras, video, etc). its a very productive and active group in katy isd.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4ivaylo View Post
What a waste of money. When I graduated from Taylor in 2011, they were laying off teachers left and right. Now they're building a new stadium for football?

Sounds like the school district has its priorities straight.

they are not the only district doing alot of spending. my bro works for fort bend isd. they got a 2% pay raise across the board, purchased many vehicles, etc. they had something on the news a few weeks ago saying that their new budget increase a great margin.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:44 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,355,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
But youre looking at 68 million to give a bunch of kids and their town a huge ego vs pumping millions more into education. I know from living in small town America that Sports > Education in every aspect. Cut funding for the arts and education before you cut funding to sports.

Groing up in Ireland we won all kinds of national championships in my school but all moneys went to education and not sports. Sports are great, but education is generally better. All huge sports programs at high school level is produce egos imho, i mean in reality whats the % of kids in the high school that went on to play NFL ? I am pretty sure its a small %.
This is a true story.

A friend of mine at my work place spends much of his time coaching basketball. During our Monday morning meeting he sometimes shares his personal stories about the kids he coaches. He's a volunteer coach and mentor for under privileged kids at schools that cannot fund some such salaries within their school system. He spends much of his personal time away from his family for those high school kids either in Houston or traveling for games. Some of those kids do not have Fathers, and have looked up to my friend as that type of figure, off and on the court. This year, 4 of those kids he has been mentoring over the years have been given full basketball scholarships to various colleges. The school was able to get provide funding for travel expenses so that they could make it to the championship game they played recently. These kids had nothing growing up...and let me tell you, when you see a grown man crying at a company Thanksgiving dinner telling us how proud he is of having played a mentor and father figure as a coach for these underprivileged kids, I'm not so sure you would come to those conclusions that athletic funding is all about ego, be it football, basketball , track, etc. I'm sure it exists, but it shouldn't act as a blanket statement for every athletic student who's dreams of being something ride on their ability to play a sport.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdwannabee View Post
And they are putting it RIGHT NEXT TO THE CURRENT STADIUM! No traffic issues there with 2 stadiums relying on the same 2 lane road for entrance and exit. Wow!
katyland is currently being widened. the other side was widened last year and is 4 lanes now.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:57 AM

340 posts, read 799,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
High schools don't need 60+ million dollar stadiums.
Stadium will be nicer than many college stadiums around the USA.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:05 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,707,130 times
Katy conservatives are a different breed lol, they love to blow school tax money as long as it benefits them and their football. Instead of over building high schools in the district, they could have just back filled and balance the schools out.

I've always wondered why KISD didn't do what Plano, Allen and North Shore did....build ninth/tenth grade campus for your existing HS in order to save money? The District could have done this for the six remaining schools and avoided having to build a new stadium

Unfortunately Katy ISD is is now catering to the south side, special interest groups, and developers, that ship has set sail along time ago I would be pissed if I was a resident on the north side and keep getting stuck with a tax bill created by the wants of the south side residents and developers.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:20 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,873,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Katy conservatives are a different breed lol, they love to blow school tax money as long as it benefits them and their football. Instead of over building high schools in the district, they could have just back filled and balance the schools out.

I've always wondered why KISD didn't do what Plano, Allen and North Shore did....build ninth/tenth grade campus for your existing HS in order to save money? The District could have done this for the six remaining schools and avoided having to build a new stadium

Unfortunately Katy ISD is is now catering to the south side, special interest groups, and developers, that ship has set sail along time ago I would be pissed if I was a resident on the north side and keep getting stuck with a tax bill created by the wants of the south side residents and developers.
Plano and Allen have their own problems with overcrowding. There are ninth grade centers in all of the Katy high schools. The Katy area has 300,000 people. Seven high schools does not seem like a lot. Morton Ranch and Katy High are the next schools that are going to need some relief.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:36 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,707,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Plano and Allen have their own problems with overcrowding. There are ninth grade centers in all of the Katy high schools. The Katy area has 300,000 people. Seven high schools does not seem like a lot. Morton Ranch and Katy High are the next schools that are going to need some relief.
I'm curious to know about some of Plano and Allen's problems. I know they didn't have to lay off any teachers during the budget fiasco and I also know that they were in better financial standings than KISD

BTW Plano built their schools with 9/10 at one campus and 11/12 at another, not the same as Katy. It's cheaper to build 9/10 centers to elevate over crowding rather than building Taj Mahal with T-buildings. seems kind of short sighted imho when you know your area is still growing.

Plano uses six 9/10 campus to feed three 11/12 campus. Secondary Schools : Plano ISD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston