Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 07:48 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Diversity is a wonderful thing.

My husband works in the oil business and his company is very diverse too. If he was racist, he wouldn't last long.
Very true! My husband is too, and on his particular team, he is the only one even from the US. A blonde, blue eyed guy, and he is the minority. Go figure!

Thumbs up to diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 08:26 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Here are the things that are great about diversity:
1. It brings diverse food.
2. It brings diverse music.
3. It brings diverse art.
4. It brings diverse architecture.

As long as the diverse people want to melt into our society, adopt the founding principle of our country - freedom, work hard and obey our laws, I have no problem with diversity, because it enriches our lives.

But, that is just my opinion.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:29 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
There are rich, middle class, and poor all mixed up together too. Its amazing.
That's amazing? BTW your description of Houston didn't even reach 'amazing'. just FYI

Old 07-22-2013, 08:36 AM

561 posts, read 972,386 times
Nothing like a thread to boost our self-esteem!

I think its all about perspective, there are better cities in the country than Houston(yes, for many thats a shocker!) but Houstonians need that Mcmansion house, one or two cars per person in the family and don't want to pay for it, and therefore trash the others. Weather I think should even out (some places are cold but amazing summers where kids can go play outside and not be at home playing video games all day(too many school grade children these days IMO)).

Houston, is perfect for the 30+ folks, not saying that its horrible for the twenties crowd, but again there are cities that cater almost solely to young, single professionals, Houston isn't one of them. Saw somewhere on this thread about folks getting excited about gardening, WTF?!? who cares!

Houston is probably the best place to raise a family, and whoever is at that stage, it doesnt get better than Houston.

But to be honest, I am in and out of the Beaumont/Port Arthur area(for work) and I find myself really missing Houston! If someone came from a big, bustling, urban city than there would probably some serious drawbacks to coming to Houston.

Just my bipolar 2 cents.

All about perspective.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post

I think its all about perspective, there are better cities in the country than Houston(yes, for many thats a shocker!) but Houstonians need that Mcmansion house, one or two cars per person in the family and don't want to pay for it, and therefore trash the others. Weather I think should even out (some places are cold but amazing summers where kids can go play outside and not be at home playing video games all day(too many school grade children these days IMO)).

Houston, is perfect for the 30+ folks, not saying that its horrible for the twenties crowd, but again there are cities that cater almost solely to young, single professionals, Houston isn't one of them. Saw somewhere on this thread about folks getting excited about gardening, WTF?!? who cares!

Houston is probably the best place to raise a family, and whoever is at that stage, it doesnt get better than Houston.

But to be honest, I am in and out of the Beaumont/Port Arthur area(for work) and I find myself really missing Houston! If someone came from a big, bustling, urban city than there would probably some serious drawbacks to coming to Houston.

Just my bipolar 2 cents.

All about perspective.
I always get a laugh out of the people who just can't stand larger (but not unaffordable) houses.

One of the best things about Houston is that most people can afford a good size home with a yard in the burbs.

Your dream home may be a 1,500 sq ft home from the 20's in The Heights. If that is what you want, I hope you are there or obtain it. My dream home is much larger and on the lake. Thankfully, I have obtained it and enjoy the heck out of it. If it's not for you, NP.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:39 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,364,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I always get a laugh out of the people who just can't stand larger (but not unaffordable) houses.

One of the best things about Houston is that most people can afford a good size home with a yard in the burbs.

Your dream home may be a 1,500 sq ft home from the 20's in The Heights. If that is what you want, I hope you are there or obtain it. My dream home is much larger and on the lake. Thankfully, I have obtained it and enjoy the heck out of it. If it's not for you, NP.
I also never really understood the hate on 'large' home purchases (3000-4000sf?), or commonly referred as, McMansions. Our so called 'McMansions' can hardly pay for a decent sized apartment in some of the eastcoast cities. Wish some folks would gain some perspective.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:49 PM

61 posts, read 113,642 times
I think certain people don't like "McMansions" because they see them as cookie-cutter / lacking in character / Stepford Wife-ish.
I'm not necessarily saying I agree; I just think that's a certain perception.

Luckily, Houston basically has a home style for everyone.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Joey View Post
I think certain people don't like "McMansions" because they see them as cookie-cutter / lacking in character / Stepford Wife-ish.
I'm not necessarily saying I agree; I just think that's a certain perception.

Luckily, Houston basically has a home style for everyone.
My guess is the people who hate "McMansions" love "cookie cutter" brownstones in NYC.

And the Edwardian homes on Post Card Row in San Francisco:

Let me guess, "Yeah, but that kind of same is different."

Old 07-22-2013, 01:20 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post

Just my bipolar 2 cents.

All about perspective.
I was one of those gardening people. Guess I would rather have my three kids excited about gardening then video games all the time, huh?

Old 07-22-2013, 01:59 PM

682 posts, read 833,835 times
Food
Laid back lifestyle with all the available bells and whistles of our other great metro areas.
The gulf breeze
Hugh Live Oaks and lolly pines
Honeysuckle and Jasmine in the air
Tropical weather most of the time
Distance close to pine forest and the gulf
Many many beautiful lush neighborhoods
Live music
Diversity
International residence
Old architecture next to ultra modern
Overall reasonable cost of living
Lots of sun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston