U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-09-2007, 08:46 PM

14 posts, read 59,405 times
Default Ideas for spending Thanksgiving in Houston??

My family will be in the Houston area during the week of Thanksgiving to do house hunting. I have heard about the parade....are there any other Thanksgiving festivities anyone can suggest? We would especially appreciate a suggestion for somewhere to eat Thanksgiving dinner since we'll be staying in a hotel. Our two little ones (age 5 and 7 mos) don't want to miss out on any fun!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 07:56 AM
Status: "something tells me I won't win that $500" (set 9 days ago)

6,840 posts, read 12,094,540 times
Dewberry Farm does its annual corn maze each year--you can buy tickets online or at HEB grocery stores and save yourself time, because the lines can get long!

It's just west of Katy, in Brookshire. Definitely worth the 30 min drive from downtown.

Dewberry Farms

If you DO go to Dewberry Farms, you can eat at Clay's on the way to or from. Clay's is a WONDERFUL place to take kids. It's right off of Hwy 6 and Clay, near I-10.

Also, this is just my little opinion, the best Santa is at Memorial City Mall. The reindeer come out and walk the mall a few times a day--it is really neat! The kids that are in the reindeer uniforms (they're 7 feet tall, btw) are high school band members and they use photo ops as a way of fundraising.

You can't miss taking them to the Galleria (http://www.polaricegalleria.com/ - broken link) to ice skate!! It's awesome, kids AND adults love it. In the photo on the page, you see the ice rink on the bottom floor.

Have fun!

Old 11-11-2007, 02:51 PM

Thank you so much for the info! I checked out all your links and everything looks like a fantastic time! We don't have any farms in Boynton Beach, Florida so my son will absolutely love going to Dewberry and Clay's. Your other suggestions are wonderful, too. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. By chance can you recommend a restaurant with good food that will be open Thanksgiving day? I called Clay's and they are closed that day. Thanks again!

Old 11-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Status: "something tells me I won't win that $500" (set 9 days ago)

6,840 posts, read 12,094,540 times
Okay, this is going to sound odd, but one of the BEST places to get a true Texas Thanksgiving meal is at Luby's Cafeteria. It is AWESOME! There is one on S. Mason Rd right off of I-10. Just do a Google search for Luby's Thanksgiving, and you'll see what people have to say about it. People love Luby's on Thanksgiving. Good stuff.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:09 AM

3,701 posts, read 10,637,333 times
The Uptown Lighting streetfest is fun to attend. See more here: | Upcoming Events |

Old 11-13-2007, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the additional ideas! I'm not sure about going to Luby's....experience tells me standing in a long line with a baby and 5 yr old wouldn't make a very enjoyable Thanksgiving for me! After much research, I am happy to report our Thanksgiving plans in case there is anyone else out in the same situation: Thanks to the Uptown Lighting link, I discovered Maggiano's is open all day for Thanksgiving and they had plenty of open reservations! I know I won't have to worry about getting a tasty, plentiful meal there, although I might not be getting to experience a Texan Thanksgiving...so we'll be eating an early lunch there. Then we'll head to NASA, which is, strangely enough, open from 9am to 7pm Thanksgiving Day. If we're not exhausted, I was then going to head to either the Uptown Lighting Event (although I'm worried about too big of a crowd) or Prestonwood to look at Christmas Lights in the evening.....unless someone can suggest something more interesting. When does Prestonwood start their Christmas lights display???? Is Thanksgiving a bit too early to go????

Last edited by FLtoTX4; 11-13-2007 at 06:45 PM..

Old 11-13-2007, 08:50 PM

7,663 posts, read 17,107,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Okay, this is going to sound odd, but one of the BEST places to get a true Texas Thanksgiving meal is at Luby's Cafeteria. It is AWESOME! There is one on S. Mason Rd right off of I-10. Just do a Google search for Luby's Thanksgiving, and you'll see what people have to say about it. People love Luby's on Thanksgiving. Good stuff.

How long has it been since you went to Luby's? I've gone to 3 different ones in the SE side a couple months apart and it is absolutely not the same as it used to be. Some people seem to be saying the same thing:

B4-U-EAT - Luby's Cafeterias in Houston Texas Restaurant & Dining Guide

The same thing happened to Los Tios Mexican restaurants.

These local chains were corporate sellouts.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:23 PM

657 posts, read 1,573,023 times
If you're ready to get up at 5 in the morning you can enjoy Black Friday.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:15 PM

I could enjoy it...but I wouldn't be able to get all my purchases in my suitcase to get on the flight!

Old 11-15-2007, 02:45 AM

8 posts, read 22,809 times
Default Too much running around on Turkey Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoTX4 View Post
Thanks for the additional ideas! I'm not sure about going to Luby's....experience tells me standing in a long line with a baby and 5 yr old wouldn't make a very enjoyable Thanksgiving for me! After much research, I am happy to report our Thanksgiving plans in case there is anyone else out in the same situation: Thanks to the Uptown Lighting link, I discovered Maggiano's is open all day for Thanksgiving and they had plenty of open reservations! I know I won't have to worry about getting a tasty, plentiful meal there, although I might not be getting to experience a Texan Thanksgiving...so we'll be eating an early lunch there. Then we'll head to NASA, which is, strangely enough, open from 9am to 7pm Thanksgiving Day. If we're not exhausted, I was then going to head to either the Uptown Lighting Event (although I'm worried about too big of a crowd) or Prestonwood to look at Christmas Lights in the evening.....unless someone can suggest something more interesting. When does Prestonwood start their Christmas lights display???? Is Thanksgiving a bit too early to go????
Umm, you're being optimistic about the lack of traffic and distance from the Uptown Lighting Ceremony and NASA. I'd watch the lighting ceremony on tv because it's boring and parking and traffic are horrible around the Galleria - especially from Nov-Jan. Luby's is the best place to go for Thanksgiving lines go fast and food is better than Maggiano's who had plenty of reservations due to so so food. A "Texan" Thanksgiving isn't any different than where you are from. We don't wear cowboy hats everywhere, ride horses to work or all have oil wells in our yards. The stereotypes will be disappointing if that's what you're expecting. My friends from NYC were deflated to see we had paved freeways and our parents weren't related! I doubt if you will see any Christmas lights on Thanksgiving. Kids will be exhausted doing all that running around so will you and it will take over a tank of gas to do it.

Last edited by HRHL2; 11-15-2007 at 02:50 AM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston