Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 11:22 AM

222 posts, read 417,962 times

Advertisements

I moved from Minnesota 'Nice' to Houston last year. I got a driving shock right away. I think some of it is due to all the transplants from other places/countries (including me) moving here, navigating the crowded and often complex road system here. However, many do lack the welcome driving etiquette. It is extremely common to see cars turning without indicating, even at 4 way stop signs. I have become far more aware of my surroundings because of driving here.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:50 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Now that we are talking about this...
Where the h... are the cops? I rarely see one.

Never mind, I just remember the few cops I've seen driving on the highway doing the speed limit while cruising on the left lane

Old 07-24-2013, 12:17 PM

107 posts, read 161,480 times
In San Antonio and SE Houston you gotta put your Mexican hat on before driving.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:27 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
I grew up in CA and always thought CA had the worst drivers in the country, but having spent significant time in Houston, I now recant my beliefs. You guys take the cake.

I've never seen so many clueless fools blocking the passing lane, including semis. I've never been cut off so many times, or nearly run off the road. I've never seen so many drivers try to cut in front of a line of waiting cars and subsequently block all the other lanes (one of many examples: 610 @ 59 junction). I've never seen so many accidents -- sometimes there'd be 2 accidents within 1 mile.

I generally only honk my horn when confronted with the most egregious infractions. I'm a very calm driver. In a typical year of driving in CA, I may do it 3 times. In 10 days of Houston driving, I did it 4 times.

Houston drivers are just atrociously bad and rude... and coming from a CA driver that's saying A LOT.
It didn't use to be this way 20 years ago.

I think the problem is from so many people with so many styles of driving coming from so many different places not being able to interact on the roads.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:43 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,513,740 times
Clearly nobody's ever been to Chicago. I was shocked at how polite drivers here are in comparison. And amazed at how many people actually stick pretty close to the speed limit.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:52 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
It isn't a Houston driver thing. It's everyone moving here from everywhere else bringing their own regional bad driving habits with them. So now you have an existing regional style of driving mixed with 49 other states and no telling how many other countries driving habits all mixed in. It isn't Houston drivers per se.

Nobody thinks they are personally a bad driver, they always think its only everyone around them. Sometimes you just have to look in the mirror.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:33 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Let's get something straight.... people do crazy things because they can get away with doing it

Here is just like in Venezuela (where I grew up) anybody does whatever the h... they want.
Today I was driving to work and I noticed a sob in a contractor van driving about 45mph on the left lane of highway 45.
First chance I had, I cut in front of him so close that I bet he c..... his pants.
Yes it's rude, but is even more rude to be the person that creates a traffic jam on the highway and make a bunch of people be late for work because you like driving slow on the left lane.
So the old saying two wrongs don't make a right would apply here. You contributed to bad drivers by joining in with them and potentially causing an accident and tying up a lot of traffic had that happened. Instead of going around the slow driver and getting about your way, you focused a bit of rage and wasted energy into looking for "the first chance I had" to cut in too close.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:36 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,968 times
I moved form Chicago. Driving there is crazy too. I don't mind it too much, I just learn to work with it. Not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
Clearly nobody's ever been to Chicago. I was shocked at how polite drivers here are in comparison. And amazed at how many people actually stick pretty close to the speed limit.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:30 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
Just about any big city with long commute times will have bad drivers. All of that road rage seems to multiply. Houston seems particularly bad because of all of the congestion on the hways/streets combined with people moving here from all over the globe. Many countries do not have similar driving rules.

I remember riding in the car with a very nice Egyptian lady, whose husband worked with mine. She was driving in the middle of a 2 lane road. She didn't stop at the sign and later ran a red light. I was scared to death! The next time we went to lunch, I drove.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:50 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,753 times
Terrible drivers here..and getting worse. It's called a ****ing blinker -- use it because the rest of us aren't psychic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston