U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 01:27 PM

792 posts, read 3,825,048 times

Advertisements

I want to buy crape myrtle tree for my backyard. I live in Houston. I am looking for online options since I do not have a large car to hold the 5-6 feet tree.

I found the website fast growing trees and was wondering of other options.

Search Results | Fast Growing Trees Nursery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 01:40 PM

2,053 posts, read 3,095,660 times
I chopped down a Crape Myrtle last October but didn't grind the stump. The new shoots/branches are now 12' tall - that puts it into the weed catagory in my books!

Be aware the flowers are a royal pain for most of the year, do not plant near your house, cars or patios.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:13 PM

240 posts, read 682,278 times
Most reputable nurseries will deliver or at least give you a person's name to contact if you are purchasing a large tree. Not sure what part of town the OP is located but I know that Houston Garden World (not Houston Garden Center) in Katy has helped me out in the past. Also Cornelius of course. There is also a great nursery in Richmond/Rosenberg called ....Enchanted Garden if my memory serves me correctly.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:46 PM

@Toyyot

>> Be aware the flowers are a royal pain for most of the year, do not plant near your house, cars >>or patios.

What do you mean? Can you emphasize a bit more!

Old 07-30-2013, 03:06 PM

14,695 posts, read 18,758,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thila View Post
Most reputable nurseries will deliver or at least give you a person's name to contact if you are purchasing a large tree. Not sure what part of town the OP is located but I know that Houston Garden World (not Houston Garden Center) in Katy has helped me out in the past. Also Cornelius of course. There is also a great nursery in Richmond/Rosenberg called ....Enchanted Garden if my memory serves me correctly.

There are actually 2 ENCHANTED-related nurseries in Richmond: ENCHANTED FOREST (10611 FM 2759, Richmond, TX 281-937-9449) and ENCHANTED GARDENS (6420 FM 359, Richmond, TX 281-341-1206).

My Enchanted Gardens - You will be inspired to bring a bit of the Enchanted into your life.

I havent had any experience with Enchanted Gardens but, when I was looking for a tree, I called many nurseries. None had what I wanted and Enchanted Forest was the ONLY one that offered to find it and order it for me. They got me a lovely tree, the same size and fullness that I requested -- and they didnt charge an arm and a leg either. I'm going out there again for my next tree.

As someone else suggested, any local nursery should be able to give you the names of people who will pick the tree up and deliver it to you.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:14 PM

9,782 posts, read 7,647,539 times
Crepe Myrtles are always dropping something. Now, it's spent flowers. They stain concrete. When the seed pods are dry, they will fall. The seeds will grow, plus the plant sends up growth from the roots, too. it's alway something. If you love them and want them in your yard, just don't put it by your patio. Or pool, like i did. Put them out in the flower beds.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:16 PM

2,053 posts, read 3,095,660 times
Sure, the flowers really are pretty and it does flower for most of the year but they rain down constantly which means anything underneath will be permanently dirty, def. not a car friendly shade tree. It's especially bad with morning dew or a rain shower as the patio etc will have a grunge all over it which then gets tracked everywhere. I had one over the patio and one over the cars when I moved in, I don't know how the previous folks could stand them, drove me nuts.

That said, they are easy to manage (i.e. you can't kill them). The one over the cars is the one I left the stump in (not planned or anything) and I maintain it, bi-weekly I'd say, to keep it away from the cars and this way I do get a bit of shade in the afternoon without the mess right over the cars. So far so good but the jury is still out.

This fall I'll cut it back to about 4', it'll stay dormant over the winter and no doubt grow to full glory again in the spring.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:20 PM

1,728 posts, read 2,920,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
I chopped down a Crape Myrtle last October but didn't grind the stump. The new shoots/branches are now 12' tall - that puts it into the weed catagory in my books!

Be aware the flowers are a royal pain for most of the year, do not plant near your house, cars or patios.
yup the flowers leaves nasty stains on concrete. i have to powerwash the walkway every year. i have to powerwash the crape myrtle too because of the black aphids

Old 07-30-2013, 03:23 PM

Thanks!

Mine will be in the backyard. It is 10-12 feet away from my backyard patio. Currently I have an ornamental pear tree which gives white flowers in winter. I will remove that tree and plant crape myrtle. The crape M will be in the same bed with lantanas, sego palms etc.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:26 PM

2,618 posts, read 2,535,804 times
Just be sure to prune properly. Crepe myrtles should have an elegant graceful look when pruned properly. i.e. do not lop off the top every year. Google "crepe murder" to see what the tree shouldn't look like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston