U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-12-2007, 01:11 PM

3 posts, read 6,001 times
Default Moving to Houston

Hi. My husband and I are considering a move from Salt Lake City to Houston in spring of 2008. We will be locating for his job and I'll be looking for a job in the Marketing/Advertising field.
We are currently living in a planned community in SLC with quaint older-style homes. It's a walking community with big front porches so that feel appeals to us.

I'm currently interested in the following neighborhoods.

Old Wooded Areas:
-West University
-The Heights
-Bellaire
-Meyerland
-South Main
-Third Ward
-MacGregor-Riverside
-Acres Homes
-Denver Harbor
-Idylwood

I like the above areas because of the charming houses there. We currently live in an arts and crafts bungalow and love it.

Additional areas to consider:
-The woodlands
-Sugar Land
-Pearland
-Katy
-Kingwood
-Clearlake
-Jersey Village
-Friendswood

I know this is a lot to be interested in, but maybe there are some you can steer me away from immediately. Our budget can go as high as $450k. We are planning to go there the first weekend in December and I'd love to have some neighborhoods selected to visit.
Any suggestions are welcome.
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 03:43 PM

3,700 posts, read 11,105,169 times
First of all, Houston is huge. If you can say what area you will be working in, it would be easier to guide you. I can knock a few off your list right away specifically Denver Harbor and Acres Homes. Those areas have very high crime rates and are pretty run down right now.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:59 PM

I'm not exactly sure what area I'll be working in since I haven't begun to look for work. My husband goes on business calls to Baker Hughes and BP (both oil and gas) but I have absolutely no idea where they are located.

Thanks for helping me narrow the list. I appreciate local recommendations because there are some details you just don't get on the internet.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:02 PM

26 posts, read 84,476 times
Poltrackker is right. I would strongly advise you to consider the location of the house relative to the job. You have listed locations all over the city. I lived in Clear Lake for a few years. It is a nice area, but it is on the far south-east side of Houston.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:45 PM

3,700 posts, read 11,105,169 times
Baker Hughes and BP have several locations throughout the city depending on whether it is production facility, plant, or corporate. Not much help there. Maybe a central location? If that is the case, somewhere like the Heights, Garden Oaks, Timbergrove (near north and northwest side of downtown) or Meyerland, West University, Bellaire (near SW side). Riverside has some lovely homes and so does Idylwood (both on near SE side) but are surrounded by transitional neighborhoods.

The bad part is that if you move somewhere like Kingwood or Clear Lake and end up working on the energy corridor near Katy, it is a 40+ mile commute and would take forever (well over an hour in rush hour) so work location is an absolute consideration when choosing a neighborhood. All the communities in your additional list are nice areas but the development is more modern. Homes in the Idylwood, Riverside, Heights, and Garden Oaks (and a few in West U) tend to be older and have more unique architecture. Another neighborhood with similar architecture is Glenbrook on the south side. Timber Grove and Meyerland homes are the older late 1950's through early 1970's custom homes and are roomy and nice as well.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:15 PM

50 posts, read 4,361 times
I love the ward areas - but you really would need sweat equity to get a house in that area up to "good?" standards.....

Heights is great- won't lose value- but lots are getting teeny.

Another area is Oak Forest or Garden Oaks. It is close to town and very neighborhoody. You know your neighbors- but not too much. Oak Forest is a very safe neighborhood - and they are building very nice, large craftsman homes(brand new) - Here is a link -I don't know if that is what you are looking for....I don't know if this link will work...

http://http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cfm?mlnum=2825974&class=1&leadid=6&sTYP E=0&backButton=Y (broken link)

But you can search HAR.com by subdivision - Garden Oaks or OAk Forest
Sounds fun - you have picked some cool areas. (Bellaire is my 3rd choice!)

Old 11-13-2007, 01:23 PM

Thank you for all the advice. It sounds like I need to either find a home and look for work nearby or find a job and look for a home nearby. Any additional advice is very appreciated.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:32 PM

4 posts, read 27,315 times
Default movin to houston also

Hi

I graduated last this year with my nursing degree and my husband with his accounting degree. We are moving to Houston in April 2008. We dont have any children. We are in our mid 20's and still like to go out and enjoy the nite life. We dont plan to start a family until about 2 to 3 years from now so we deifinitly would like a apartment. I looked at a few online. Can any one tell me about these?

The marquis on eldrige 4848 pin oak park drive 77081
RENAISSANCE VILLAGE 12951 BRIAR FOREST 77077
BRIAR MEADOWS 1414 S DAIRY ASHFORD 77077
PARK LAKES 9955 BUFFALO SPEEDWAY 77054
ARCH STONE 8181 FANNIN ST 77054

ARE THESE GOOD NEIGHBOR HOODS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston