Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 03:27 PM

1,011 posts, read 976,883 times

Advertisements

Barcelonafan,

How's downtown la progressing? I hear they're doing some major renovations there and grand park is pretty impressive. Is it like Houston where progress takes a very long time (e.g. Katy fwy)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 03:41 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
With all the growth and expansion Houston is going through I really hope that Houston and other TX cities stay grounded and not give in to the outer culture. I don't mean remain religiously unabashedly conservative politically, but in terms of the culture and the arts, I do hope it stays....how do you say? Trill.

I've been to NYC, LA, Boston, San Fran and even Miami. No city seems to have it's own unique character and own set of rules than Houston...and to a small extent Austin. Heck the whole State, from country music, to film to rap to electronic. The way parties are thrown there I have to really look for stuff like that here in LA. The way the social life is so lively, friendly and unexpected. You reall have no idea where you're going to end up, I mean it's a mix of New Orleans, Vegas and Austin mixed together in H-Town.

NYC is a Disneyland yuppie fest, Boston is a conservative traditional hellhole that closes at 1am, and LA is a commercialized sanitized mess that is not the trendsetting city I thought it was going to be but instead an extremely trendy place straight out of a bad network TV show.

I know it sounds cliche but Houston really is a city that keeps it "real".
Radiolibre, you are a perplexing poster. You just posted what I thought was the most articulate critique of Houston I'd ever read. This was what, maybe a couple of weeks ago. Now you're back talking trash about other cities than Houston, and saying that Houston is unpretentious and filled with character. What gives? BTW, I think you are a way better writer when you critique Houston than when you embrace it.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:32 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Houston is amazing but it does lack a lot of the stuff I mentioned in that last thread.

But I did mention that what makes Houston great is the social and work life. It's a complex city

Old 08-17-2013, 07:51 PM

682 posts, read 834,367 times
Quote:
Wow such responses. Are the transplants really getting all riled up because I had the audacity to "diss" other cities? .
Once again more ignorance....TEXAN BRED AND BORN. The rest of your contribution....who cares...you are really hating on Houston.....you really need to start posting what you like/love about the city.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
Once again more ignorance....TEXAN BRED AND BORN. The rest of your contribution....who cares...you are really hating on Houston.....you really need to start posting what you like/love about the city.
Good lord what do you think I was doing but listing what I like about this city and cimparinh it to others.

How is that hating in Houston? Chicago stop enough is enough.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:59 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
This threads are getting old
stop whining about what you think other people think which most of the time is not even true.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:06 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Just finished a book, a couple of weeks ago, that was set, in part, in Houston.

The person was coming from New Orleans to their ratty apartment in a building with over ten floors, into the heavy hazy smog in the Inner Loop, in a climate with zero humidity - unlike the humid New Orleans they had just come from.

What?

This is typical - that author has never set foot in Houston. Tenement buildings with over ten floors? Are they thinking Good Times slums from New York? That building describes our high-rises, not our slums. I guarantee they are not ratty nor cheap.

Zero humidity? Sometimes, I wish. Maybe she was thinking Phoenix.

She had the audacity to place her book in Houston, without having the slightest idea about Houston. Can you blame the rest of the US for being misinformed?

Old 08-19-2013, 03:09 PM

15 posts, read 40,785 times
Quote:
With all the growth and expansion Houston is going through I really hope that Houston and other TX cities stay grounded and not give in to the outer culture. I don't mean remain religiously unabashedly conservative politically, but in terms of the culture and the arts, I do hope it stays....how do you say? Trill.

I've been to NYC, LA, Boston, San Fran and even Miami. No city seems to have it's own unique character and own set of rules than Houston...and to a small extent Austin. Heck the whole State, from country music, to film to rap to electronic. The way parties are thrown there I have to really look for stuff like that here in LA. The way the social life is so lively, friendly and unexpected. You reall have no idea where you're going to end up, I mean it's a mix of New Orleans, Vegas and Austin mixed together in H-Town.

NYC is a Disneyland yuppie fest, Boston is a conservative traditional hellhole that closes at 1am, and LA is a commercialized sanitized mess that is not the trendsetting city I thought it was going to be but instead an extremely trendy place straight out of a bad network TV show.

I know it sounds cliche but Houston really is a city that keeps it "real".
All those cities you listed have their own culture and trends especially San Francisco, LA, NYC and Miami.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:20 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
I've been to NYC, LA, Boston, San Fran and even Miami. No city seems to have it's own unique character and own set of rules than Houston...and to a small extent Austin.
Huh? I don't get this part. Are you saying that NYC or LA or Boston is not unique from each other? Because if so, that is 1000% wrong.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Huh? I don't get this part. Are you saying that NYC or LA or Boston is not unique from each other? Because if so, that is 1000% wrong.
I didn't mean so much the aesthetic qualities of each city, even though I did find Manhattan to be overly gentrified and West LA twice as much, or even the locals, but more so the same type of people that form its young professional base. The work culture, social life, the image driven status conscious, etc. I just didn't find these cities at all like I had imagined and surprisingly never thought I would prefer the environment in Houston as far as all that goes. It's much less down to Earth.

That's just my opinion though and I was harped on here for doing so. I mean I really do not know what other people assume those cities to be like but after living for some time in each and spending ample time in all I really became appreciative of Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston