Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you plan to vote on the Harris County Dome initiative in November 2013
For 22 43.14%
against 21 41.18%
undecided 8 15.69%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 05:57 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,772,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Think of it this way. One, the plan preserves the Dome as a unique space. It may not be exactly what you wanted, but the Commissioners Court studied this option for a long time, and this is what that "elected" body settled on. Secondly it limits our tax damage to 1/2 cent of additional assessed value. That is a deal that is on the table now. If this is defeated, at the very least, it will re-ignite this debate, and will possibly lead to options that are far more expensive than this in the future, or the removal of the Dome as an option, forever. Passing this bond will end the debate, and any uncertainty of what future options will entail.

I agree. I don't want to see the Dome come down. This gives it a chance. And like I said earlier I t can always be turned into something else. ...IF........IF its still standing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 05:59 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,667,651 times
We just passed 7 cents of additional taxes last year for useful things like education.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:31 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,179,522 times
The County is the closet thing to the mafia we have out there....they listen to your ideas, make you think they really care and then still stick their plans up your butt...

ain't no conventions going to to leave their destination cities for a new dome outside of typical oil and gas stuff...Essence Festival bombed in Houston.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:52 PM

6,262 posts, read 7,410,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
The County is the closet thing to the mafia we have out there....they listen to your ideas, make you think they really care and then still stick their plans up your butt...

ain't no conventions going to to leave their destination cities for a new dome outside of typical oil and gas stuff...Essence Festival bombed in Houston.
I don't think this Court is corrupt, it seems pretty open and fair to me. It seems that everybody who had a vision or idea for the Dome is disappointed that the court didn't choose their plans. At some point you have to make a decision, and it makes sense that they went with the plan that a professional sports and convention consulting firm developed for them.

The Essence Festival (I think this is what you were talking about) is a New Orleans based event that was moved to Houston only one year because of Katrina. Who knew it was even there ? To use that as a example of what Houston is capable of is unfair and misleading. Why would you bring that up?

Old 08-19-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
We just passed 7 cents of additional taxes last year for useful things like education.
So are you going to guarantee that if the Dome is torn down, nobody will hit up Harris County tax payers for any additional tax increases for anything having to do with convention, sports and visitor arenas for the next decade or two?

Will you stand up and post that "you your own bad self" , would never support any additional tax revenues for anything pertaining to Sports, conventions or visitors in Harris County for the next decade or two as well?

I probably wont believe you if you do, but the point is as soon as the option for the Dome is gone. Harris County taxpayers will be more vulnerable to bigger tax increases in the future for more grandiose projects that somebody will insist we need or else suffer horrible consequences, such as loss of some perceived status.

Leave the option of the Dome open. 1/2 cent is a bargain.....

Old 08-19-2013, 11:00 PM

1,011 posts, read 967,162 times
Leaving the option of the Dome open means 10 more years of it sitting there sucking up tax payer's money.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:10 AM

Jack...I take it your not black but the Essence Festival is major tourism for the city of New Orleans...major....

people knew it was moved to Houston but first thing they said it was too spread out....same when the Bayou Classic came to Houston...

All-Star weekend for the NBA does well because everything takes place Downtown spills to the Galleria....

The "new dome" again isn't going to attract anything we're not getting now...its just a way to keep people employed on the payroll who may not have a gig if its blown up.

Like the light rail opponents....that takes off on a grand scale and actually serves majority of the city/county...the oil/gas prices drop overnight as people will move towards rail...

you keep that option grounded...you force people to keep driving

Old 08-20-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Jack...I take it your not black but the Essence Festival is major tourism for the city of New Orleans...major....

people knew it was moved to Houston but first thing they said it was too spread out....same when the Bayou Classic came to Houston...

All-Star weekend for the NBA does well because everything takes place Downtown spills to the Galleria....

The "new dome" again isn't going to attract anything we're not getting now...its just a way to keep people employed on the payroll who may not have a gig if its blown up.

Like the light rail opponents....that takes off on a grand scale and actually serves majority of the city/county...the oil/gas prices drop overnight as people will move towards rail...

you keep that option grounded...you force people to keep driving
No, I am not black.

What effect would the "New Dome" have had on similar events, either good or bad? The fact is the New Dome very well could have easily accommodated an event like the Essence Fest. The New Dome could be configured to accommodate concerts of all kinds. I don't think you have looked at the plan.

http://reliantpark.com/sites/reliant...mmendation.pdf

Besides conventions, the New Dome will be able to host swim meets, Tennis Matches, High School football games, they are even talking about a Grand Prix Race around the building !

I don't think you have taken the time to avail yourself of all the options the "new Dome" will offer.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:57 AM

Essence was fine for Reliant...they did not like the city layout

We don't need another concert hall...we have Toyota Center, Arena, Cynthia Woods, the new amphitheatre in Sugar Land, etc....

Reliant just invested millions into astroturf for high school games....and we had a grand prix race years ago..you on the payroll?

Old 08-20-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Essence was fine for Reliant...they did not like the city layout

We don't need another concert hall...we have Toyota Center, Arena, Cynthia Woods, the new amphitheatre in Sugar Land, etc....

Reliant just invested millions into astroturf for high school games....and we had a grand prix race years ago..you on the payroll?
Do you work for the Rodeo ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston