Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 05:37 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times

Advertisements

Enforce no trucks in left two lanes and enforce left lane for passing only. Those are my two dream laws. I also wish they would raise the speed limits on some of these freeways to 70 (like the Katy, or Southwest and Eastex). I read that the new portions of the GP will be 70. When i lived in dfw, their tollways were 70. Speed limits are too low.

City needs to continue on with the bayou improvements. Put in some more sidewalk ordinances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 05:47 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,041 times
Driving laws is hardly what I meant when starting this topic. Roads, parks, rail, bayou improvements etc...

Old 08-20-2013, 05:56 PM

235 posts, read 360,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
Driving laws is hardly what I meant when starting this topic. Roads, parks, rail, bayou improvements etc...
This is Houston.

People spend in exorbitant amount of time in their cars.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:42 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
I was reading in the Chronicle that, apparently, the city still expects property owners to build/maintain sidewalks. And then we have it being merely suggested that the city take that over. That should have been done a long time ago! We're depending on each property owner to cooperate for infrastructure here? Good luck with that. This is why we can't get a coherent rail system, for that matter. This is OK in any other small East Texas town, but Houston is the kind of a place that seems to be trying to posit itself as something world class. This is not world class.

Everyone - everyone - that means you too - at some point or another, is a pedestrian. Also, if you're "world class" you're drawing people from well beyond day-trip range. This means they may not be driving cars.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:13 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Fill in the freaking potholes all over town. It is the one thing I miss about Katy...nice roads that don't kill my vehicle.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:43 AM

988 posts, read 1,203,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I was reading in the Chronicle that, apparently, the city still expects property owners to build/maintain sidewalks. And then we have it being merely suggested that the city take that over. That should have been done a long time ago! We're depending on each property owner to cooperate for infrastructure here? Good luck with that. This is why we can't get a coherent rail system, for that matter. This is OK in any other small East Texas town, but Houston is the kind of a place that seems to be trying to posit itself as something world class. This is not world class.

Everyone - everyone - that means you too - at some point or another, is a pedestrian. Also, if you're "world class" you're drawing people from well beyond day-trip range. This means they may not be driving cars.
We don't need a rail system. We are world class already without it.

Last time I checked, pedestrian means someone who walks. Nothing in that word about cute little trolley-building government boondoggles so that hipster douchebags can pretend they're in San Francisco and that they are admired by the "international community".

We have an international airport, soon to be two, taxis, rental cars, buses, bicycles, feet, speedboats, skateboards, rollerblades, kayaks, and virtually every other mode of transportation other than a bloated money-pit train system.

I guess those non-day-tripping people visiting our wonderful world class city will have to adapt to the way we do business around here instead of seeking to impose some high-density western european subway model on our precious town before they will graciously bestow the "world class" moniker.

I scoff at anyone that suggests we are not world class unless we have a rail system. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:14 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
No we need the reliability and consistency of a large rail system. There is a reason why every world class major city has a world class transit and rail system. Life would be so much better if I could pack up my stuff, roll my luggage to a heavy rail or light rail station and take it to the airport. Or I could decide to not drive to work Monday thru Thursday and take the train. Etc. Buses don't give you that reliability that a rail system does. It's needed. The best thing would be to rip up the now congested HOV lanes, due to them being turned into ''HOT" lanes, and make them heavy rail.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:36 AM

235 posts, read 360,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
No we need the reliability and consistency of a large rail system. There is a reason why every world class major city has a world class transit and rail system. Life would be so much better if I could pack up my stuff, roll my luggage to a heavy rail or light rail station and take it to the airport. Or I could decide to not drive to work Monday thru Thursday and take the train. Etc. Buses don't give you that reliability that a rail system does. It's needed. The best thing would be to rip up the now congested HOV lanes, due to them being turned into ''HOT" lanes, and make them heavy rail.
We will be dead and buried before Houston wakes up to the fact that it needs a real, integrated transportation system. Eric's mindset rules in this city and thus cities the size of Pittsburgh have better infrastructure than Houston.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:26 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3781 View Post
No, let's NOT build the light rail projects. It is a money-pit boondoggle that Houstonians don't want, or need, and cannot afford. The only people clamoring for light rail are transplants from high-density east coast hellholes and local inner loop hipster douchebags that think riding trolleys is cool and green. We drive cars in Houston. If you don't want to drive, then ride a bike or take a bus. We are not San Francisco or NYC. Enough with the light rail crap already.
Typical Houstonian. Happy with mediocrity. And the reason this thread is moot because Houston/Harris County can't improve with people like him running the show.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:29 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3781 View Post
We don't need a rail system. We are world class already without it.

Last time I checked, pedestrian means someone who walks. Nothing in that word about cute little trolley-building government boondoggles so that hipster douchebags can pretend they're in San Francisco and that they are admired by the "international community".

We have an international airport, soon to be two, taxis, rental cars, buses, bicycles, feet, speedboats, skateboards, rollerblades, kayaks, and virtually every other mode of transportation other than a bloated money-pit train system.

I guess those non-day-tripping people visiting our wonderful world class city will have to adapt to the way we do business around here instead of seeking to impose some high-density western european subway model on our precious town before they will graciously bestow the "world class" moniker.

I scoff at anyone that suggests we are not world class unless we have a rail system. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Do you have any idea what a highway costs? It ain't cheap, and much more expensive than commuter rail for any given capacity. Sorry, but a bus on the HOV lane can't compare with a train either. It's subject to traffic slowdowns, to car wrecks creating gridlock, and costs more in the long run. Highways are horrible for commuting, and only stupid Houston Hobbits think otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: