Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 06:54 PM

568 posts, read 1,129,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
Also, any information on using the train to go to Greenspoint. What are your thoughts on it?
What train to Greenspoint??? There is none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 06:57 PM

58 posts, read 95,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejamiller View Post
What train to Greenspoint??? There is none.
Ok, wasn't quite sure. I saw a map with a lot of different routes and didn't know where they all went.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:10 AM

914 posts, read 1,832,919 times
Houston has very limited rapid rail transit. There are several lines on the drawing board, but they are the subject of a political battle. Currently there is only one line that runs from downtown south to Reliant Park. There is a north rail line under construction, but it will take years before it ever gets as far north as Greenspoint. You will have to commute by car to Gunspoint/Greenspoint.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:12 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,962 times
45N all the way. You ain't getting from The Woodlands to Gunspoint in 20 men during rush hour. The reverse commute will be easier. Plus you will have The Hardy. Why would you banish yourself to the Woodlands anyway?

Old 08-20-2013, 07:40 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,537 times
I would expand your look into Montrose too. Places like The Standard and City Vista off W. Dallas will be 400 less a month yet 2 minutes to Midtown. I have lots of friends that live around there. I don't have a lot that actually live in Midtown due to the crazy rent. Around Greenway it is much cheaper too, but a few minutes from midtown on 59.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
I would expand your look into Montrose too. Places like The Standard and City Vista off W. Dallas will be 400 less a month yet 2 minutes to Midtown. I have lots of friends that live around there. I don't have a lot that actually live in Midtown due to the crazy rent. Around Greenway it is much cheaper too, but a few minutes from midtown on 59.
Those two places were about the same price if not higher. I was kind of shocked. Just thought I would let you know. Thanks.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:34 AM

235 posts, read 360,320 times
Check out the Calais.
I used to live at MetroMidtown which was alright. Stay with the back area off Bagby though.

Another option is Camden Midtown although you are closer to the sketchy area of Midtown.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_of_Bristol View Post
Check out the Calais.
I used to live at MetroMidtown which was alright. Stay with the back area off Bagby though.

Another option is Camden Midtown although you are closer to the sketchy area of Midtown.
Would you mind drawing on the map provided of 'Midtown' and places to stay away from?
Attached Thumbnails
Midtown to Greenspoint-houston-midown.png  

Old 08-20-2013, 12:57 PM

235 posts, read 360,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
Would you mind drawing on the map provided of 'Midtown' and places to stay away from?
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...23861&t=m&z=16

Here's a link to the area.

I think officially Midtown runs roughly between I-45 to the North, 288 to the East, 59 to the South and ehhh...maybe Taft to the West.

As I general rule, most of the rentals are West of Main.

Bagby and Grey is a big intersection. That is Post Midtown Square. They have rentals (I lived there for a summer).

Running south along Bagby starting at around Hadley is MetroMidtown. There is another new rental construction at Bagby and McGowen. There are some additional rentals back behind MetroMidtown to the west in among townhomes. You may be able to find a rental townhome as well back in there.

Another option is 2222 Smith which is located on Hadley between Smith and Brazos. Farther down Hadley between Louisiana and Milam is Camden. It is across from the Randalls grocer which is the main market in Midtown.

At Main and Grey there is a Greyhound bus station. This area in and around the station has a lot of homeless and other people begging for lose change. There are also several abandoned buildings in and around that area. As a general rule the closer you are to the station, the cheaper the rent. Thus, Camden (which is only a couple of blocks away), is cheaper.

The Calais is farther south along Elgin. There is a break in Midtown between around McGowen and Elgin where there isn't as much development. There are some older homes, a car wash place and some townhomes but not many rentals. Along Elgin there is more development including a gym (24 Hour Fitness), a couple of bars (including one of my favorite places The Maple Leaf which is run by Canadian expats) and a couple of restaurants. There is a great pizza place called Piola right below the 24 Hour and just across the street from the Calais.

Use Google street view on the map and you can get a good idea what the area is like. You will notice that it is still spotty and not like urban neighborhoods in older, more developed cities. But, it's about the most urban and dense area Houston has.

Good luck.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:21 PM

You all have been very helpful. I did find a nice website that defined each neighborhood. I know a lot of people come here to find info about relocation and I have been playing around with this all afternoon.

Houston Apartments and Rentals on Walk Score
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston