Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 11:45 AM

247 posts, read 1,137,997 times

Advertisements

Looks like we're being transferred to Baytown in the next few months, DH is with Exxonmobil and will be at the refinery in Baytown. He will most likely work there for several years (4-5) and then be transferred up the the new buiding in Spring. It would be great if we didn't have to move twice, so we are hoping to buy something in the NE Houston area that would hopefully provide an OK commute to both towns. Kids are 5, 3, and 1, so good schools are a priority. We are looking to spend around $500K, although less is always good, and want his commute to be no more than 45 mins. I imagine he'll work roughly 7am-6pm most days. I've been looking at houses in Fall Creek, Summerwood and Eagle Springs, all in the humble school district. Are there any better options that I'm missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 11:48 AM

785 posts, read 1,228,019 times
Kingwood.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:55 AM

Kingwood looks great for the Spring location, but what about Baytown? I crossed it off my list b/c it looked like it would take closer to an hour to get down to Baytown. No?

Old 08-20-2013, 12:08 PM

It's true, the commute to Baytown would be around 45-50 minutes from Kingwood. But your options are limited if you want to stay in between both Spring and Baytown, as your only choices imo are Humble, Kingwood, and Atascocita, with Kingwood being the best of the three.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:40 PM

Best how? I've never been to any of these places, so it's really hard to pick a place to live w/o really having a feel for the area. I get the impression that kingwood is more developed, probably nicer overall? That commute is a tough sell though - we've been blessed with an amazingly short commute out here in VA, so much better than what we had when we lived in Baton Rouge.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:55 PM

125 posts, read 197,143 times
Summer Lake Ranch in the Summerwood area.
Maybe Huffman on the east side of the lake for a more rural setting..
It's going to be at least 25 minutes or more even if you were to take a line from Spring to Baytown and bisect it and build a house at that point. It's just a long distance between the two of them.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:11 PM

So maybe trying to find an inbetween point is a bad idea? I was thinking we'd probably live at least 30 mins outside of Baytown anyway, so why not have it be in the northwesterly direction of Baytown, kwim? If we were just moving directly to Spring I think we'd probably end up in the woodlands. But if we were just going to Baytown I don't know where we'd look. It's just that the prospect of living in the same house for 10 years or more sounds really appealing, especially with school age kids. But if there is no where in between that we'd want to stay for 10 years than we might have to just plan on moving after the time in Baytown is up.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibaba1579 View Post
Best how? I've never been to any of these places, so it's really hard to pick a place to live w/o really having a feel for the area. I get the impression that kingwood is more developed, probably nicer overall? That commute is a tough sell though - we've been blessed with an amazingly short commute out here in VA, so much better than what we had when we lived in Baton Rouge.
Yes, it's more developed with better amenities and better schools. The problem in trying to find a place between Spring (North) and Baytown (East) is that Northeast Houston is pretty undeveloped, mostly due to floodplain and other issues. A lot of commuters who work in Baytown end up living in Deer Park or maybe Channelview, but again that's very far away from Spring.

Are you planning to visit sometime before the move? That might be a good idea in your case so you can scope out the areas. I know moving sucks, but you might need to consider renting while he's working in Baytown then making the move near Spring afterwards.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:25 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,669,166 times
For halfway between look at Oak Forest. Your budget may be too low though with 3 kids as that gets you a smaller house there.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:34 PM

225 posts, read 516,405 times
Your best bet is Summerwood area. You're right on the Beltway 8 which is a pretty fast commute on that side of the Houston area. BW8 will take to you 45 which goes to Spring and the other way takes you to I-10 which takes you right to Baytown.

A little farther north up West Lake Houston Pkwy (Summerwood is the area where West Lake Houston PKWY and Beltway 8 meet) you can find Waters Edge which has some nice looking houses and part of it is gated. You can find what you are looking for for around $300k. A little farther north on W Lake Houston Pkwy are some more neighborhoods with upper-middle class $300K+ homes but the crime is picking up. I would avoid..

There isn't much shopping and restaurants in that area yet. They are slowly building up the area though. They have a brand new HEB grocery store which is really nice. For your shopping, you would drive around 10-15 minutes north up Lake Houston Pkwy and do your business in the Atascocita Area. They have everything you could need except for a mall or movie theater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston