Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 06:16 PM

175 posts, read 367,420 times

Advertisements

I live in 77077. We feel very safe. We live in Briarhills, which is at the corner of Eldridge and Briar Forest. Very few homes for sale here though I have seen some for rent. In fact there is one up for rent just down my street. Average price for a home on my street is probably somewhere around $400K, but I think there are some other areas in Briarhills that might be a bit cheaper. There are many Indians on our street, and I think one Pakistani family. We are zoned to Barbara Bush Elementary, which is exemplary, but the middle and high schools are not good. I don't know your price range, but for the schools, I would look at Katy or Sugar Land. Your commute from Sugar Land, however, will not be very pleasant. You'll have to take Hwy 6, which is so slow and full of stop lights. I wouldn't be surprised if you were to have a 45 min commuter or longer. Maybe someone else might have better info on that. Maybe if you took 59 to the Beltway it would be better? The disadvantage of commuting from one mostly residential area to another is that there are no commuter buses.

Without an idea about your price range, it's difficult to make a recommendation. But for your school situation, I would either pick Katy or Sugar Land or live around here and go private. Our kids are 4 and 2. We don't need to worry about middle school right now.

I think you would enjoy Sugar Land, but it's not exactly cheap. We looked around there before buying here and had trouble finding anything decent for under $350K, but we were looking at houses zoned to Commonwealth Elementary. The better the school, particularly the elementary school, the higher real estate and rents.

I would look for houses in Sugar Land zoned to Clements High School, which is the highest ranked high school in that area. That is 77479. You can look at the elementary schools for each house listed. You can look at the demographics for each school, which will give you an idea about the demographics of that community. I saw some nice rental houses zoned to Clements going for about $2500/month. For less than that, you'll probably have to go out to Greatwood and that is mostly white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 04:20 AM

77 posts, read 117,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
77077 is a big zip code...I am currently renting in that area now and its about as quiet as anywhere else I have ever lived. The apartments do have a bit of crime around them, but if you get off of Briarforest and go 2-3 streets inside the neighborhoods, its perfectly safe.

Seriously, your coming from Pakistan...ALL of Houston is safe compared to Pakistan.
hi thanks for feedback, I am originally from Pakistan but living in GCC country in Middle East which is very safe, this is why bit concerned about moving to safety in Houston

Old 08-22-2013, 04:22 AM

77 posts, read 117,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronstew View Post
I live in 77077.

I would look for houses in Sugar Land zoned to Clements High School, which is the highest ranked high school in that area. That is 77479. You can look at the elementary schools for each house listed. You can look at the demographics for each school, which will give you an idea about the demographics of that community. I saw some nice rental houses zoned to Clements going for about $2500/month. For less than that, you'll probably have to go out to Greatwood and that is mostly white.
Thank you for the detailed reply

Old 08-22-2013, 03:46 PM

22 posts, read 59,443 times
Most of Sugar Land and Richmond will have large populations of Pakistani Muslims and are generally very safe. I have Pakistani Muslim friends and they live in Telfair, New Territory, River Park and River Park West. Many also live in Grand Mission, Katy, and along the new developments by Hwy 99.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:55 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,932,339 times
I strongly suggest you look in 77077, in the developments west of Enclave Pkwy and near or north of Briar Forest. Most of the newer single family is within gated subdivisions (Parkway Villages, Lakes of Parkway). It will all be above $300,000. If you want less expensive, look in Bronstew's Briarhills neighborhood, though it's been going up there too. This is a very safe area. Bush Elementary is a major draw and you can live close enough to walk to school. Many many south Asians living around here.

I wasn't aware that Westbriar Middle and Westside High were considered "bad." I know they're not as desirable as Sugar Land or South Katy schools, but are they weak enough that you need to move away if you like the area? Same goes for the Katy ISD schools in the west part of 77079 (where the OP should also look). Are they really that undesirable?

Old 08-23-2013, 01:40 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,017,815 times
From what I've read of Westbriar Middle and Westside High, they are pretty decent schools. Some of the 77077 elementaries are not that great though.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:49 PM

235 posts, read 360,203 times
What about Cinco Ranch? It would be really close to the office.

Can't say anything about the diversity or the prices but it seems like a popular place for families and it looks nice on Google streetview.

Good luck on the move!

Old 08-23-2013, 05:31 PM

22 posts, read 43,133 times
Houston is a very big and diverse city with Pakastanis everywhere through out. 77077 is also big zipcode with okay areas and some not okay areas if you decide to live in the suburbs Katy and Sugarland will be your best choice. Sugarland has a high Pakastani population. also if you can afford it bellaire might be a great option has well.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:14 PM

175 posts, read 367,420 times
There are many Pakistani Muslims living in Briarhills, that is true. Barbara Bush Elementary is an exemplary school. I have no direct experience with the middle or high schools but I have not heard good things. I have looked at the avg SAT and ACT scores for Westside High and wasn't very impressed. My kids are still small, so there is no telling what will happen in 7 years time, but my if oldest has graduated from elementary and we are still here, we will either go private or buy a house in Fleetwood, which is located off of Memorial but zoned to Taylor High School in Katy. There are strategies around it. However, if the OP already has kids that are middle school-aged, I wouldn't recommend starting out here, unless private school is already in the cards. For exemplary schools all the way through to high school, definitely Sugar Land. As far as home prices in this area go, for under $300K it will probably be a pretty small house (around 2000sf) with very little back yard and possibly in need of updates. If you don't believe me just check HAR. It's been going nuts around here.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:03 PM

59 posts, read 110,579 times
Also recommend the Sugar Land/First Colony area if you're looking to mingle with your fellow countrymen in a beautiful safe, area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston