Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 04:18 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times

Advertisements

By the way Ethanw, I suggest you never go into advertising.

Head of agency, "With Mountain Dew's expansion of its Live Wire energy soda brand, we should look at buying ad space on ESPN during the X Games. This will give us more saturation into the 15 to 25-year-old male market."

Ethanw, while air quoting, "Just because 'statistics' and 'market research' says that young males are most likely to purchase Live Wire and because 'demographic studies' say they watch the X Games, I won't buy into such stereotyping. I believe we should divide the ad budget among ESPN, OWN, The Biography Channel, Bravo and Fine Living. I also heard that we can get a good deal with print ads in the AARP magazine."

Head of agency, "Get out!!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 07:17 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times
^^^ Speak for yourself^^^

BTW I find that most Californians are pretty ignorant about Texas and many other things for that matter...including their own state

Old 08-23-2013, 07:19 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times
That's the best you can do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And what if unicorn kisses cure cancer?

Sure you can pretend as though cultural differences don't exist, but they do. Even unicorn kisses won't change that.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:21 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I didnt think the freeways in the Long Beach area were to clean either. I think its a national problem. Too many contractors complained that prisoners were doing work they 'could' do for a 'fair market' price. We see how that has worked.
You can hardly ever believe a Californian when they are waving the pomp pomps about their state.

Yes it is indeed a National problem...even here in land of fruits and nuts!

Old 08-23-2013, 07:22 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times
Ae you a high school kid? That's the only explanation I have

Quote:
By the way Ethanw, I suggest you never go into advertising.

Head of agency, "With Mountain Dew's expansion of its Live Wire energy soda brand, we should look at buying ad space on ESPN during the X Games. This will give us more saturation into the 15 to 25-year-old male market."

Ethanw, while air quoting, "Just because 'statistics' and 'market research' says that young males are most likely to purchase Live Wire and because 'demographic studies' say they watch the X Games, I won't buy into such stereotyping. I believe we should divide the ad budget among ESPN, OWN, The Biography Channel, Bravo and Fine Living. I also heard that we can get a good deal with print ads in the AARP magazine."

Head of agency, "Get out!!!"

Old 08-24-2013, 09:27 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Actually, some behaviors can be associated with greater participation by certain races.

According to the CDC, the majority of meth users are white. - CDC - Methamphetamine Use - Risk - HIV/AIDS

The majority of crack users are black. - Cocaine Use: 2002 and 2003

Country music will have a greater following among white people while hip-hop will have a greater following among black people.

The majority of suicide bombers will be young Muslims.

The NBA is made up mostly of black players - 78%.
Thank YOU

I'm not denying the majority of Meth users are White. Its like White mans Crack, however I've known MANY people in the Rave culture besides Whites who have used Speed, mainly Asians.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:33 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
If you're white, sir, then YOU are the minority in Texas.

Regarding trashiness, since you're from East Texas, you would know all about all the trashy rednecks in that region. And the pervasive bigotry.

Based on what I've seen in your posts here and in other forums, you represent why Texas is so hated by the rest of the nation.
I'm not White, I'm Caucasian. Or I could call myself an Italian/Norwegian/Scottish American.

Nope...not yet anyways. Hispanics make up 37.6%...that's not even half. I make up the other 44.8% of Texas.

East Texas is one of the wealthiest areas of the state, Tyler specifically. We're like the Dallas of East Texas in that regard. There's more money in this town than they know what to do with.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:36 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,883,538 times
The local and national media have been talking about Texas being a minority-majority state. Did your statistics include all minorities? What year do they represent? Maybe the media is saying that Texas is "becoming" a minority-majority state. But I've been seeing stories saying it's already that way.

In any case, you could have avoided problems with your post by making the shopping cart issue a "people" problem, which it is. By tying it to ethnic groups, you open yourself up to the fact that in East Texas, for example, the pervasive trashiness can be tied mainly to whites. So overall, the whole thing is a people problem, and to be fair, it would have been better to not bring ethnicity into it. You obviously caused some problems with your post, which came across as racist.

Last edited by Weatherguy; 08-25-2013 at 11:06 AM..

Old 08-26-2013, 08:22 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Ae you a high school kid? That's the only explanation I have
I presented links that back up my case. What have you done to present your case? That would be nothing.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:41 AM

561 posts, read 972,292 times
Holy crap! I read the first page and then skipped to the last two pages... it turned from a "who's job is it to pick up trash?" and "why/how did the highways here get so trashed and dirty?" to a full out race war

Haha this forum is an endless source of entertainment.

Lets just all get together and agree its all Obama's fault and move on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston