U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-07-2008, 02:57 PM

11,362 posts, read 17,216,022 times
Also, Mont Belvieu is just outside Baytown and is a lot closer to there than Beaumont or Port Arthur.

Some may say LA is a cultural black hole, but those people haven't been to Texas' *Golden Triangle.*
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 07:56 PM

768 posts, read 1,440,703 times
Aw geez, I'm sooooo glad I frequently DECLINE to visit my in-laws in Groves. Sure, it's better than Beaumont but it surely is the pits compared to my home "near bellaire", au revoir!

BTW, I remember reading a record commute from home to work. He would wake up at 4 AM in Katy and hit the road to work in Beaumont; got home at around 8 PM.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:16 PM

15,524 posts, read 15,189,277 times
Beaumont from Cali will be rough. There is a lot of construction that will be going on in the area for the next five years, so there will be decent job opportunities. The most liberal place in Texas is Austin and the triangle is a far cry. I lived there 8 years and met a lot of good people...and more than a few losers. Kelly is the school that most folks send their kids to. Westbrook or some of the more rural schools to the west are okay relatively speaking. Mid county is also good. For a few years it would be good money, but do someadvance home schooling.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,395 times
You'd have great luck with the Mont Belvieu area. It's the Barbers Hill School District. They have an outstanding athletics programs and the accelerated programs are also quite good. I lived in Baytown for 32 years & now live in Germany. When my family returns to Texas, we'll be in Mont Belvieu for sure. Also, the drive from Mont Belvieu to Beaumont is not bad - straight shot down I-10. Although you'll probably encounter some construction traffic on the Trinity River Bridge soon. Hope that helps. Happy Moving!

Old 08-16-2008, 12:43 AM

18 posts, read 39,356 times
There sure are some people giving the Beaumont area a bad rap. I don't particularly want to live in Beaumont due to the schools, but I do live in Lumberton just north of Beaumont. I would highly recommend Lumberton. I moved to Lumberton 4 1/2 years ago from Oklahoma due to a job in Beaumont. I love it here in Lumberton. The schools are very good and there is a lot of pride in the community. I have children entering 2nd and 3rd grade with a one year old following behind. They have had fabulous teachers so far and am encouraged at the upcoming school years.

Lumberton is growing at a pretty good pace with many new homes. My commute to work on the west side of Beaumont is about 20-215 minutes each way. Sometimes 30 minutes on my way home depending on when I leave work.

One drawback is that there is a fair amount of traffic due to the growth and road widening is in the near future plans. Also, the traffic is a little bit heavier than what can be attributed to the Lumberton population due to the fact that the only way north out of Beaumont in through Lumberton. Therefore, all of the commuters from the north must go through Lumberton unless you are going to Vidor or Orange, whereas, you can miss Lumberton and take other roads that will take you east of Beaumont.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:02 PM

34 posts, read 45,113 times
I know this is an older thread. Can anyone update this topic on life in the Golden Triangle? I am contemplating moving to this area. My husband currently works for Dupont in Richmond, VA and I am a legal secretary. I used to live in Copperas Cove, Texas in High School and I lived in Houston for a while too. The thought of handling the Houston traffic sends shivers down my spine, but I really want to get back to Texas. So I thought my husband could work at the Dupont plant in Orange and I could work in Beaumont, and we could live in the outskirts of Beaumont in a place called Fannin or I was even thinking about Port Neches. We are in our 50's. One son is in the Army and married. We like to go out, but not frequently, so driving to Houston for a night out and making a weekend out of it, is just fine for us. My son will be stationed in San Antonio, so that's not too far a drive to visit. I just would like some information regarding the friendliness of people in that area, law firms, DuPont, housing, weather (Hurricanes) and the Veteran's Hospital for my dad. I hope someone out there has something positive to say about life in the Golden Triangle.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:24 PM

15,524 posts, read 15,189,277 times
You mean Fannett, I know a couple folks who like living there. Triangle natives though. Hubby may try the Sabine River Works in Nederland as its closer.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:28 PM

2,244 posts, read 3,024,198 times
I am originally from Orange. A LOT of my family worked at DuPont, Orange. Orange is going downhill. Used to be a good place to live. People are overall friendly, but I would not want to live there now. I think you are referring to Fannett, which is very, very rural. Still it's a good place. There are good places to live in that area, but as a rule generally the principal cities are not that great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston