U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-14-2007, 11:29 PM

67 posts, read 152,436 times

Advertisements

Good write up in the Times. I thought it might be of interest to some.

The Refuge - Houston Grand Opera - Music - New York Times

Not From Here: An Opera for Houstonís Immigrants

By RALPH BLUMENTHAL
Published: November 12, 2007

HOUSTON, Nov. 11 ó With brickbats flying over border issues, the Houston Grand Opera put immigration center stage this weekend in a dramatic outreach to the more than 1 million foreign-born residents here in the nationís fourth largest city.
Moderator cut: copyrights

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2007 at 06:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 07:52 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,497,255 times
Nice write-up! If you missed it you can catch it next spring at Miller Outdoor Theater and in the meantime watch a preview on the HGO website. Houston Grand Opera (http://www.houstongrandopera.org/otherdisplay.aspx?pageid=748 - broken link)

Old 11-15-2007, 09:18 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 5,740,300 times
does it cover anything professional/job related and not really looking to find refuge in houston?

Old 11-15-2007, 07:23 PM

looks like noone really cares about this kind of things. maybe just the pretentious artsy types who has no clue. who in the world wants to be labelled a refugee in the US where everyone is entitled to a new beginning
nice personal touch with 'diversity'

Old 11-15-2007, 11:59 PM

67 posts, read 152,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
looks like noone really cares about this kind of things. maybe just the pretentious artsy types who has no clue. who in the world wants to be labelled a refugee in the US where everyone is entitled to a new beginning
I presume this is a sophomoric attempt to take a jab at me?

No personal touch, with the word 'diversity'. Taken directly from the article. Work on the reading comprehension skills.

Aren't you the one complaining about the triteness and backwardness of Houston? Obviously, the ironies aren't apparent enough. Sad.

Go play in the street, obaka-chan.

Last edited by BrooklynTx; 11-16-2007 at 12:10 AM..

Old 11-16-2007, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Yes, just us "pretentious artsy typeS who has no clue" at it again. I must admit that 95% of the time I don't respond to your posts because your syntax leaves me confused as to what it is exactly that you're asking. But I love how you reveal who your friends are and the company you keep here in Houston with each and every post. Painting the picture with broad brush strokes, you are!

Old 11-16-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynTx View Post
I presume this is a sophomoric attempt to take a jab at me?

No personal touch, with the word 'diversity'. Taken directly from the article. Work on the reading comprehension skills.

Aren't you the one complaining about the triteness and backwardness of Houston? Obviously, the ironies aren't apparent enough. Sad.

Go play in the street, obaka-chan.
oh hello. can you then point out which aspect of diversity youre refering to? kindly show us your comprehension skills.
1million immigrants... refugees? celebrate with song and dance. what? i'm sure a huge percentage of those immigrants are just migrants because they can and there are jobs to fill in the US, and not running away from a war torn country. chances are these and other people who dont play the 'victim' card are the ones who makes houston a better city (and maybe celebrated if they want a money making racket)

btw did you post this to promote or to discuss? well heres a free bump, whatever your goal was

Old 11-16-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Yes, just us "pretentious artsy typeS who has no clue" at it again. I must admit that 95% of the time I don't respond to your posts because your syntax leaves me confused as to what it is exactly that you're asking. But I love how you reveal who your friends are and the company you keep here in Houston with each and every post. Painting the picture with broad brush strokes, you are!
now i'm curious. should i be worried? are your reponses really that important?
this is probably a good time to pull out the diversity card but the OP already did that - i wonder why would you focus on the grammar if you think you all that cool with diversity and the internet age? :\ just another way to show false supremacy.
tell me how far did your proficiency in english take you? if youre not making more money than any of these professionals that are struggling with their english and have jobs that need gloves then you probably should rethink your punch lines :P

btw i dont know what youre talking about with my 'revelations'. anyway, if you want one... that ghetto area north of the city (youre neck of the woods i believe) hires teachers (that are not very good) from asian countries because no one wants to teach there anymore. I know a few and they tell me the kids there are just criminally delinquent. that is sad, its like its not america

now lets go back to the topic if you dont mind

Old 11-16-2007, 12:25 PM

^^What is the topic? Do you know? Phrase a question in coherent English and maybe it'll get answered. What ghetto area north of the city? I live in Old Sixth Ward, thank you very much. I'm putting you on ignore so that I'm not tempted to engage with you anymore. Have fun out there in ALIEF, gangsta!

Old 11-16-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
^^What is the topic? Do you know? Phrase a question in coherent English and maybe it'll get answered. What ghetto area north of the city? I live in Old Sixth Ward, thank you very much. I'm putting you on ignore so that I'm not tempted to engage with you anymore. Have fun out there in ALIEF, gangsta!
LOL I think i've figured it out! youre refering to that discussion thread when you asked me where I lived but I didnt provide an answer. thats the last time you responded to my post. you thought I was denying you this information or that i'm ashamed or for whatever reason. after that you just focused on Houston vs Dallas/any city threads I believe. well I am not ashamed to say we live in Alief. never did in fact I said here many times I live in that 'china-town'. I do have hopes for this 'dump'.
now going back to your statements, I still do not understand your importance or your pathetic insults Yes people think Alief = Sharpstown = gangsta. thats their problem. a number of people thinks its the 'unknown' good spot. whatever. I also do not understand what revelation about my friends and company you are talking about. whats wrong with that? which part do you love? let see, I said I have a japanese wife, nigerian subordinates, I work for JPMC, i know some russians, vietnamese and indians in technology, a friend is being screwed by aquatex, I own a gutted minivan, wife is the travel biz and has airport guides, mom uses too much electricity, etc. are you loving it? i'd join you if i have an idea where the heck youre coming from
yay, someone called me a gangsta. I'm not even black. I wonder what/which is insulting
I think i exerted enough effort and do not have excuses in understanding your statements. of course it means nothing because you have problems reading imperfect english. goodluck with that. I suggest you just stick to newpapers and magazines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston