Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 08:57 AM

568 posts, read 1,121,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonForThis View Post
Rice military and another real close to Washington ave in those 3 story condo looking homes that actually don't share walls with others, or even look like a cohesive neighborhood. I get a lot of similies & metaphors that translate to the student population is four 5ths Hispanic, poor and severely lacking in English. So private school was really the only option they ever considered.

I have another friend who just had a baby and moved to Spring Branch because she grew up there in the 80s/90s and for the great reputation of the district. Only to find the school they are zoned to... Spring Branch Elem is almost 100% poor, Hispanic, lacking in English, horrible test scores, etc. So private school it will be. Like I said, grandpa will pay for it just like the remodeling job.
Must be nice. *sighs*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 10:10 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,536,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Most schools in HISD, all of the ex-NFISD schools, all elementary and middle schools in Alief, and most in Aldine already have uniforms. If a school adopts uniforms it may make it be perceived as "ghetto" anyway and kids will wear baggy clothes and find ways to get around it.
how did you get from ELEMENTARY school uniform to 'kids will wear baggy clothes'?

Old 09-11-2013, 12:16 PM

18,041 posts, read 25,061,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Shots fired at memorial for Spring High student - Houston Chronicle

Lol at all you people still saying Spring is still a good area.
Lol at the people that think this is credible information

Quote:
... Spring High School studentJoshua Broussard, killed on campus last week in a possible gang-related stabbing.

... as the fight continued and four to eight shots allegedly were fired.

Deric Muhammad from Ministry of Justice questioned reports that gangs or race motivated the fatal fight, as well as allegations that "blacks and browns" cannot get along.
"Some smart, deceptive, crooked spirit" is working to divide them, he said, which must be confronted with deliberate cultural exchanges in schools.

Stories like this why "white flight" happens
as soon as a crime is committed by a non-white kid the media runs wild saying "Gangs are taking over" = Minorities are taking over
And then we wonder why society is the way it is in this country.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:05 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,097,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Lol at the people that think this is credible information

Stories like this why "white flight" happens
as soon as a crime is committed by a non-white kid the media runs wild saying "Gangs are taking over" = Minorities are taking over
And then we wonder why society is the way it is in this country.
A memorial service getting shot up reported by reported by a mainstream newspaper is not credible? Just because people like you want to stick your head in the sand doens't make it not true. Deric Muhammd the race hustler? Really? Yeah I think I'm going to go with the police report as well as kids they interviewed who says it was gang related.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:55 PM

4,874 posts, read 10,009,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
how did you get from ELEMENTARY school uniform to 'kids will wear baggy clothes'?
Elementary uniform? School uniforms are applied at all levels. This topic is about a high school stabbing.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:56 PM

4,874 posts, read 10,009,179 times
The elementary school for Rice Military, Memorial Elementary, has been mostly poor and it doesn't have a good reputation. The middle school is Hogg in Woodland Heights, and also affluent parents are avoiding that school. The high school is Lamar, which still has groups of affluent white students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonForThis View Post
Rice military and another real close to Washington ave in those 3 story condo looking homes that actually don't share walls with others, or even look like a cohesive neighborhood. I get a lot of similies & metaphors that translate to the student population is four 5ths Hispanic, poor and severely lacking in English. So private school was really the only option they ever considered.

I have another friend who just had a baby and moved to Spring Branch because she grew up there in the 80s/90s and for the great reputation of the district. Only to find the school they are zoned to... Spring Branch Elem is almost 100% poor, Hispanic, lacking in English, horrible test scores, etc. So private school it will be. Like I said, grandpa will pay for it just like the remodeling job.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:41 PM

5,581 posts, read 4,838,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
The elementary school for Rice Military, Memorial Elementary, has been mostly poor and it doesn't have a good reputation. The middle school is Hogg in Woodland Heights, and also affluent parents are avoiding that school. The high school is Lamar, which still has groups of affluent white students.
I would imagine that Memorial Elementary will probably "flip" in the relatively near future, because there just won't be a large supply of poor students remaining since most of the area is being redeveloped. Or it may just close because townhome residents don't have many kids.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:54 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,647,255 times
Default Me, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
I'm amazed that this one kid managed to stab and kill 1 guy and then stab and injure 3 more.
Yeah, if someone would have just given him a gun with a couple of clips, there wouldn't be any wounded to clog up our shortage of healthcare facilities and most likely the perpetrator would be dead and the state would be saved the expense of a trial and incarceration. Win-win for all

When I was a kid we settled things with a fistfight. Now kids watch how adults settle things and emulate them. I just got to find that old AK47 I smuggled back from Nam!

Old 09-11-2013, 06:54 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,179,522 times
different breed of kids now...parents aren't the best either...

the government programs such as housing, welfare have contributed to laziness in society and a I don't care mentality.

Whites who are moving to HISD aren't truly integrating....they are there for location only...they add no value to some areas such as 3rd ward as they're not participating in 3rd ward cultural events

Old 09-11-2013, 07:22 PM

18,041 posts, read 25,061,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
different breed of kids now...parents aren't the best either...
the government programs such as housing, welfare have contributed to laziness in society and a I don't care mentality.
Everyday is more common for both parents to work leaving kids to raise themselves

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston