Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 03:49 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,663,212 times

Advertisements

Dallas very much reminds me a Midwestern city. I said it the very first time I visited there. My husband thought so too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 04:36 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
I think someone at Forbes has a crush on us.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:44 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
LOL, no joke. Houston was the best kept secret until this rag blabbed about it.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:18 PM

31 posts, read 40,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I think someone at Forbes has a crush on us.
It's Joel Kotkin. He never passes up a chance to talk up Houston. I think he lives in Ft. Bend County.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:23 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
While I agree with Forbes for the most part, I get tired of these articles constantly pumping out pro-Houston stuff. At this point it's just getting ridiculous. They clearly promote the one aspect that Houston has going for itself which is namely a big business friendly environment. Other than that Houston lacks a lot of amenities to make it the "next global city" or for it to begin to compete with the likes of NYC and LA.
I mean relying on Forbes, Fortune, The Economist, Yahoo Finance or any other financial rag is to tell you where the next boom town is, is like relying on the same people who said that the New Economy was here just before the Dot.Com bubble, the Enron scandals and the housing market crash.
Houston has transportation problems, abysmal infrastructure, the crappiest public/social services of any major city, a pretty high crime rate and an uneven economic geographical development.
I mean I know Houstonians are very proud of all the press the city has been getting but remember that these are the same rags that praise cities in Brazil, China and Russia. Cities that have a huge gap between rich and poor, the bottom living in favelas, high crime and corruption problems. So clearly, when they say Houston is great they really mostly mean the opportunities to take advantage of the big boom that only benefit the few who get in on it.

The only publication I know that tackles the Houston myths is the Houston Chronicle which tell the other side of the story. If you read both Forbes and the Houston Chronicle articles, then you can get a complete picture.
Houston has a lot going for it. I certainly believe the infrastructure will come as the city continues to economically prosper. That being said, I think two major issues plauging the city are crime and public education. If we can work together to address those issues, then Houston can grow into one of the best if not arguably the best city in the country.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:32 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Houston has a lot going for it. I certainly believe the infrastructure will come as the city continues to economically prosper. That being said, I think two major issues plauging the city are crime and public education. If we can work together to address those issues, then Houston can grow into one of the best if not arguably the best city in the country.
Agreed. There has to be a solid bridge so that people at the lowest rung can get in on the boom.

Infrastructure will come eventually. Yes, Houston has the potential to leave LA and NYC in the dust.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:35 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Agreed. There has to be a solid bridge so that people at the lowest rung can get in on the boom.

Infrastructure will come eventually. Yes, Houston has the potential to leave LA and NYC in the dust.
I wish the people in charge felt the same way. If they did, and used their clout to make a difference, the quality of life in this metro would soar leaps and bounds.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:44 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
When did Dallas become a part of the great plains? When I think great plains I think Midwest and Dallas isn't a Midwestern city.
Actually, Dallas feels a lot more Midwestern than Southern to me. It doesn't feel Midwestern in the sense of Ohio or Michigan, but it certainly feels Midwestern in the sense of Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas, and Minnesota. Last week, I worked in Minneapolis and Fargo and since we had a three day weekend I drove from Fargo all the way to Kansas City and flew home. I'll be the very first to tell you that the topography is absolutely no different than it is in Dallas and the small towns I drove through in the Dakotas feel just like the small towns to the north and west of Dallas. The only big differences that I note are that Dallas is a lot more ethnically diverse and the accent is different, but even the former comes from being a big city.

Houston to me has always felt Southern. Likewise, it's far more diverse than Louisiana, Alabama, far northern Florida, and Mississippi, but it can relate to those areas the same way Dallas can to the plains states.

In a way it's like saying Dallas is big city Omaha and Houston is big city Jacksonville.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:01 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Some of the more interesting points of his map to me are, for one, Houston is the only city he designates as a "capital" city that is not a headquarter city of a Federal Reserve district. Also some of his boundaries are really eccentric. For instance Denver seems to be on a border of the region he says it (Denver) is the capital of, but he includes eastern Colorado as part of the Dallas district, how does that happen? Lastly I don't think any part of Western Louisiana is more closely linked economically to Atlanta, than to Texas.

I understand that these regions are by design ambiguous, but I don't think economic spheres are that eccentric. Distance to a economic hub seems to be more important than that.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:25 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Actually, Dallas feels a lot more Midwestern than Southern to me. It doesn't feel Midwestern in the sense of Ohio or Michigan, but it certainly feels Midwestern in the sense of Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas, and Minnesota. Last week, I worked in Minneapolis and Fargo and since we had a three day weekend I drove from Fargo all the way to Kansas City and flew home. I'll be the very first to tell you that the topography is absolutely no different than it is in Dallas and the small towns I drove through in the Dakotas feel just like the small towns to the north and west of Dallas. The only big differences that I note are that Dallas is a lot more ethnically diverse and the accent is different, but even the former comes from being a big city.

Houston to me has always felt Southern. Likewise, it's far more diverse than Louisiana, Alabama, far northern Florida, and Mississippi, but it can relate to those areas the same way Dallas can to the plains states.

In a way it's like saying Dallas is big city Omaha and Houston is big city Jacksonville.
Yeah I agree. I've said it several times on this board. There are two subregions of the Midwest. The Great Lakes and the Great Plains. These two are worlds different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston