Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 05:02 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,839 times

Advertisements

parts of alief are not "bad." i'd say mission bend is worse off. oh man that place is horrible. for $1200 a month you can rent somewhere "better" like sugarland and not have a bad commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 06:48 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
parts of alief are not "bad." i'd say mission bend is worse off. oh man that place is horrible. for $1200 a month you can rent somewhere "better" like sugarland and not have a bad commute.
Wheres the bad part in mission bend?. I only stopped by there once to get my US citizenship papers done

Old 09-11-2013, 07:22 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,237,060 times
If the OP likes that area, would renting in Woodbridge be better? Woodbridge doesn't appear bad, but I don't know it that well.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:23 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,237,060 times
I don't think you can rent a house in Sugar Land for $1200, but I may be mistaken. I recall them starting in the $1300-1400 range for smaller and older. $1200 might be doable for a 2 BR complex, but I'm not sure about 3 BR.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:56 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
Wheres the bad part in mission bend?. I only stopped by there once to get my US citizenship papers done
It's fine, there is absolutely no way it is worse than Alief or a whole slew of other areas I can think of. I think people might be mixing it up with places further east (such as Alief areas?) Mission Bend is not that large, and just very middle class. It's very diverse, but not high crime. Mission Bend on Google Maps

However, I agree with others -- if one can afford it, Sugar Land is the better option (and I don't mean Alief-lite with Sugar Land postal addresses as in Townewest; I mean Sugar Land as in everything south of West Airport Blvd.) But the Sugar Land market is tough, so it's not for everyone.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:29 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
There is no way Mission Bend is worse than Alief. A lot of nice neighborhoods in Mission Bend.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:46 AM

988 posts, read 1,203,202 times
Can anyone really say with a straight face that with a rent budget of $1,200 and a desire for good schools with special needs programs and low crime, that you would choose to live in "the nicer parts of Mission Bend or Alief" over Katy or Sugarland?

Even those of you that live in the "nicer parts of Mission Bend or Alief" and have your ego invested there and feel compelled to remind us all that "it's not that bad" in some parts?

No, you can't.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:13 AM

I just live here and reporting what I know actually living here. I had the same people tell me not to live here but I have always prioritize easier access to where I make my money. Everything else takes a back seat, especially my feminine-worrywart side if I had one. I make an average of $300k a year and drive 20mins to the Galleria and I'm sure this deal is nothing compared to those guys in Royal Oaks but I do believe I shouldnt have to wake up at 6am and get to sleep before 11pm at this level. I do not have to spend all morning in traffic at this level, not shave while in traffic either. I dont have to drive the winding road out of my subdivision or deal with street bumps. I would like to be able to take my better cars to work more often. I have earned a bit of 'luxury' (time is gold) IMO.
I'm also a first-gen american, I am not ready to live with the joneses and/or the other 'rednecks' WWF crowd type in the white burbs. I'm not so naive to think every school in Katy and Sugarland is great...pretty sure you dont have asians evenly distributed in those areas either. (guess whos got asians?) I will not let any stranger in my backyard so I will have to take care of the lawn myself but I'm not in a mood to keep up with the neighbors on this. I also have a thing with racecars (ok this is my #1) and I need to work on them from time to time and I would like to keep this freedom (to drive it out as well). I also like eating out and its quite nice to not look under/over dressed. We do have great neighborhood restaurants over here. Dont we have the best BBQ in town at some point lol
Anyway, there are other people out there, not just 100k millionaires of the exburbs. We're not afraid of 'people of color' or punk kids, I'm probably more afraid of pissing off a spoiled brat. I dont like paying for stuff because everyone in the exurbs is doing so, or spending time in traffic because everyone in the exurbs is doing so... none of that logic works for me. Being a lemming would not have gotten me success in my career. I am really taking a risk here? Sure, says the female-worry-warts, most probably just flyover that side of 59 where you have the bad parts. Parts where some of you used to live lol.
My wife and I are friendly people and most of our friends/family are in the exburbs. This kinda works out because we want to have some distance and just meet up on (real)occasions, BUT having the restaurants and being the central point from Katy, SG, Energy Corridor, Galleria (we get visitors from Tomball/TWL too) we still get a lot of visitors - too bad we dont really have really wide open kitchen/living places - but good thing theyre mostly japanese nyuk nyuk
It's not for everybody. Sorry if the OP is just like you guys
Well goodluck finding a place, sugarland or katy. try not to think about us here when your commute is slowed down by cars coming in and out of our neighborhood. Try not to worry too much if you decide to someday try out our restaurants. Dont compare HPD level of service to yours, or other Harris county services... just don't.

FREEDOM!!

Last edited by GTRdad; 09-12-2013 at 10:21 AM..

Old 09-12-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3781 View Post
Can anyone really say with a straight face that with a rent budget of $1,200 and a desire for good schools with special needs programs and low crime, that you would choose to live in "the nicer parts of Mission Bend or Alief" over Katy or Sugarland?
I can. you can too if youre smart enough to know that you dont need schools, you need 1 school, the one zoned to your apartment/house. sprinkle it with some extra geeks

Last edited by GTRdad; 09-12-2013 at 10:24 AM..

Old 09-12-2013, 10:55 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,661,551 times
Not all of us females are worry worts, but thanks for generalizing about us! I appreciate that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston