Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 11:13 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,017 times

Advertisements

Baby boomers are getting old. It is why pharmacies have expanded so much too. Healthcare reform will also fuel more expansion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 11:21 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Some are staffed by nurses and PA's. They may have a physician who owns it but is not present. In the event of a true health emergency, you want a clinic who has a physician(s) actually present there in the building. You just have to ask.
That is not an ER. That is an urgent care.

Free standings exist bc they can turn away non-paying patients, upping the average reimbursement from ~$100 a visit to $300.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:06 AM

4 posts, read 6,447 times
I'll rather be seen by a PA than some ER docs I have encountered (just saying). But freestanding ERs all have board certified ER docs the only exception is an urgent care where anything goes.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:31 AM

264 posts, read 441,863 times
Take a close look at your health insurance plan and you will see why there are so many. Back in 2011 I noticed our plan had a $200 co-pay for first visit to a hospital ER, $250 for a second visit to a hospital ER. The co-pay for a free standing ER or urgent care was $50. These plans are obviously trying to eliminate frequent fliers and steer the minor emergencies to free standing centers. No coincidence when insurance plans started doing this that these places started popping up everywhere.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:35 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,759,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Wait until Obamacare kicks in full time, if you are in need of emergency services, you will be so happy that they are there! The hospital emergency rooms are filled with welfare patients, illegals and others who cannot afford a doctor, so they claim they have an emergency since by law, hospitals have to at least see them, regardless of ability to pay. Some don't even speak, or comprehend English which makes it take longer to see those while they wait for a translator. Those who have real emergencies, and insurance, have to wait for the others to be processed. It's a shame, but it is what it is.

I had to use one a couple of years ago. At first I hated it, thought it was a ripoff (which it is), but then when I thought that I'd be paying the same to a hospital, it did not make sense to be bothered by it. Thankfully I have a wonderful wife who made sure they were all in the network, and anyone they called upon, was in the network. You have to be diligent and make sure everyone in the chain is in the network, else "they got you"!
lol I clicked on this thread just to see how many posts will it take before someone mention Obamacare.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:15 AM

116 posts, read 196,289 times
I heard from a third party that these emergency clinics don't accept Medicare. Can anyone verify/dispel this rumor?

Old 01-10-2014, 08:22 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Before you use one, call them and disclose your insurance and see how much the visit will be. Some are considered "ER's" and billed that way while others are not and will make you pay a lot more out of pocket.

I like having these, because the ER's of regular hospitals are insane.

-----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
lol I clicked on this thread just to see how many posts will it take before someone mention Obamacare.
Why wouldn't the ACA, which effects almost everyone, come up in a conversation about healthcare?

Old 01-10-2014, 08:47 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,759,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Why wouldn't the ACA, which effects almost everyone, come up in a conversation about healthcare?
Hasn't effected me at all, do you really think all of these stand by ERs are a result of Obama Care? If not, why even bring it up?

Old 01-10-2014, 11:54 AM

682 posts, read 1,941,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketteroo View Post
I heard from a third party that these emergency clinics don't accept Medicare. Can anyone verify/dispel this rumor?
Most, if not all, do not accept Medicare, Medicaid or Tricare. And most will also verify your ability to pay before they help you. If it is a major emergency they will treat you as necessary but have you transferred to a regular hospital as soon as they can.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:13 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,018,863 times
These places will definitely NOT accept Medicare and Medicaid. Privately insured or cash patients are the only ones they will see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston