U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Status: "Semi-retired. working some, taking off some." (set 4 days ago)

9,801 posts, read 10,985,896 times
I didn't see the television reports showing the waving of the Confederate flags. Anyway, speaking as one who reveres my Southern and Confederate heritage, the banner has no place in this particular controversy.

So far as what else has come to light, as I said/agreed in an earlier post, if the burglers were shot in the back, it isn't going to help Mr. Horn's case any. At the same time though, there is nothing to indicate or support his being a racist or that the shooting was racially motivated. And I still support Texas's laws which provide for the use of deadly force to protect life and property, including that of a third party. If Mr. Horn overstepped the boundaries laid out, the fact doesn't indict the merits of the law itself.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:29 PM

7 posts, read 21,796 times
That 911 tape is what is going to bury Horn. You can shoot someone coming into your house or at you. Horn was inside his home, under no direct danger. If he had stayed inside like he was instructed to do, he wouldn't be in this problem. The burglars were leaving as in retreating. He put himself in danger. Even law enforcement can't shoot at someone running away unless there is a danger to others. I know in the movies you see cops shooting at fleeing suspects, but in real life that's a no-no.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:44 PM

10,427 posts, read 29,173,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
That 911 tape is what is going to bury Horn. You can shoot someone coming into your house or at you. Horn was inside his home, under no direct danger. If he had stayed inside like he was instructed to do, he wouldn't be in this problem. The burglars were leaving as in retreating. He put himself in danger. Even law enforcement can't shoot at someone running away unless there is a danger to others. I know in the movies you see cops shooting at fleeing suspects, but in real life that's a no-no.
Sorry man but you are wrong. Horn is an American Hero. And yes cops can shoot you in the back with little to no consequence. Go ahead and google these key words. "police shoot handcuffed man in back". You will get not one but many many thousands of hits with true stories. Not only can cops shoot you in the back but they can do it when the suspect is handcuffed.

Horn put himself in danger huh? Thats funny, the way we all see it is he is in no danger of bodily harm as opposed to the criminals. And if the law prevails the way it it was intended when it was written then Horn will also be in no danger of his freedoms.

Oh yea and the neighbor is very very gratefull that he got all his valubles back and the Pawn Shop never got to sell them. Wouldn't you?

Old 01-04-2008, 01:51 PM

241 posts, read 860,040 times
Check out the death threat someone left on the DA's voicemail

Recording traces killing of...

Old 01-04-2008, 03:26 PM

10,427 posts, read 29,173,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick4Life View Post
Check out the death threat someone left on the DA's voicemail

Recording traces killing of...

First time I listened to that. That caller was obviously a fine peice of the American education system.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:33 PM

24 posts, read 47,909 times
Default Good to see

It's good to see that someone will take a stand and say enough.

I live in a country where if I did what the old guy did I would go to jail and the crims would still be on the streets, assuming they weren't dead of course. it seems here that they play the racist simpathy card far to often and get off while their victim is punished for defending their property or lives.

Racism is a big issue here, it is mostly being created by non whites toward whites. and when you make a stand againest something illegal that they have done they scream rascist. they complain because they have a much higher representation in our prisons. answer to that is, don't break the law and you wont go to jail. simple really. but no. it's because we are rascist and want to lock them all up.

Over New years at a small coastal village here 5 people got stabbed in separate incidents by a group of non white gang members. No arrests and no charges were layed. the cops didn't want to know.

problem I see is that crims are more inclined to use weapons than good folks.
So good folks harden up and make a stand. show you won't be to scared to go out.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:12 AM

16 posts, read 18,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
you really need to get off the "like he was instructed to" lunacy. a 911 dispatcher does not, and can not, give you orders that you are required to follow. they can advise you, but the dispatcher telling horn to stay inside is totally irrelevant to anything at all.
the trash was in horn's yard, and he has every right, morally and legally, to kill them in his yard.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:14 AM

16 posts, read 18,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Article on Houston news, entertainment, search and shopping | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle - someone called DA's office and threatened Horn's life. And you can listen to the audio and it is definitely racist whereas I don't believe Horn killed out of racism. The public made it a racial thing, not Horn.

DA: Caller threatened Joe Horn's life (w/audio) | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (broken link)
when you have trash like quanelle x running his mouth, that is how it will always end up.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:44 PM

I know most people who are responding to this are coming from an emotional place rather than what the law says. Emotionally, I have no sympathy for the men who were killed. Crime always has the risk of getting one killed. With that said, it doesn't change the fact that Horn was in no immediate danger if he had stayed in his home. Sure, there have been many incidents where LE has shot a suspect in the back or who was retreating, that doesn't make it legal. Also, LE that have done that are still charged with murder untill a grand jury decides not to indict. A good place to check what the law says is the Texas Penal Code. He probably shouldn't be indicted for murder or whatever charges they are thinking about bringing. He'll probably end up with some misdemeanor charge.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:55 PM

Just because someone is in your yard, doesn't give you the right to shoot them. Even in a tresspassing situation, a person can't be charge with trespassing unless they have been previously warned not to trespass on that property. It's funny sometimes what people think is legal. I'm a private investigator, and I've had people tell me I can't sit in my vehicle, on the street in front of their house. The street in front of their house is public property, not owned by the homeowner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston