Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:36 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,595,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Are you presuming to instruct me on what are the duties and/or responsibilities of a dispatcher? What are your credentials?

Now, as it concerns the original question? I guess I am guess'n you come from a part of the country of which the majority of the population has a problem with standing ones ground when their home space is invaded...? Am I right?

It has NOTHNG to do with personal bravery or courage. It is really more of a strange sort of wonder, WHY, anyone would think different than that the laws ought to not protect those of of us who will blow out the back door anyone who barges into OUR homes?

This is why Texas is Texas. You really don't need to explain or make him understand. I say he needs to read under the new Castle Law.

If at anytime I feel threaten by anyone and if I am carrying I will shoot. Love Texas!!! It's all about protection and looking out for each other.

In this case. I feel the man did what he had to do. He was protection and taking out the trash.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:50 AM

3,017 posts, read 5,192,433 times
Quote:
Are you presuming to instruct me on what are the duties and/or responsibilities of a dispatcher? What are your credentials?
Are you presuming to disagree with my assertion regarding the dispatcher's responsibility? If so, why?

Quote:
Now, as it concerns the original question? I guess I am guess'n you come from a part of the country of which the majority of the population has a problem with standing ones ground when their home space is invaded...? Am I right?
Now as it concerns your presumptuousness, you are wrong.

Quote:
It has NOTHNG to do with personal bravery or courage. It is really more of a strange sort of wonder, WHY, anyone would think different than that the laws ought to not protect those of of us who will blow out the back door anyone who barges into OUR homes?
Nobody barged into the shooter's house. Guessing you're not too familiar with the story.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:58 AM

8,851 posts, read 11,641,249 times
There are now two less thugs doing business in Pasadena. I am all for that. Having said that, I wouldn't have done what he did. I would only use deadly force when either my life or the life of another person is in danger. I don't think that was the case here.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:04 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,509,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
There's nothing to be specific about. Citizens are not authorized to engage in deadly vigilante justice, especially in such an unwarranted case as this one.

This is why we have trained law enforcement professionals.

And for the record, I grew up in Houston.
As was said, this is not about the merits of the case per se, but the ethics and morality and legalities. You grew up in Houston? But where are you FROM? Oh well...

As a Texan, I would be a little bit embarrased to make a case which revolves around such silliness as "deadly vigilante justice". Oh hail yes....a person protecting their own property is "guilty" of engaging in "vigilante" justice...?

Yep *yawns*....we have police officers to carry guns and protect us. Which one is going to be assigned to protect me, personally? No thanks, I will carry my own .45 and protect my own.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
This is why Texas is Texas. You really don't need to explain or make him understand. I say he needs to read under the new Castle Law.

The Castle Law prohibits the actor from provoking the individuals against whom the deadly force is used, which the shooter did.

Moreover, The shooter was in no immediate danger, as his house wasn't the one being broken into.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
As was said, this is not about the merits of the case per se, but the ethics and morality and legalities.
I'm just going off the facts. And looking at the facts I am not inclined to conclude that the shooter acted lawfully. Was it morally justafiable? Obviously he thought so at the moment. Others don't. Doesn't matter, as his actions were still beyond the pale of protection from the Castle Law.

Quote:
As a Texan, I would be a little bit embarrased to make a case which revolves around such silliness as "deadly vigilante justice". Oh hail yes....a person protecting their own property is "guilty" of engaging in "vigilante" justice...?
It wasn't his property...for the umpteenth time.

Quote:
Yep *yawns*....we have police officers to carry guns and protect us. Which one is going to be assigned to protect me, personally? No thanks, I will carry my own .45 and protect my own.
And you obviously have every right to. But the minute you use that .45 to intimidate and inflict deadly force upon an individual breaking into your neighbor's property (for which you never had any express permission to guard in the first place), you are obviously well outside your rights.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:22 AM

Quote:
The Castle Law prohibits the actor from provoking the individuals against whom the deadly force is used, which the shooter did.

Moreover, The shooter was in no immediate danger, as his house wasn't the one being broken into.
My lordamercy, MisterSykes. We ALL agree that in THIS particular instance, the shooting was VERY iffy, at best. Agreed?

Now then (and really, in another hour, I want to just pop in some fried okra), ...the issue seems to be that you seem intent on, at essence, objecting to the "Castle Doctrine" law itsel.

If so, then just be upfront and SAY so

Old 11-17-2007, 01:28 AM

Quote:
My lordamercy, MisterSykes. We ALL agree that in THIS particular instance, the shooting was VERY iffy, at best. Agreed?

Now then (and really, in another hour, I want to just pop in some fried okra), ...the issue seems to be that you seem intent on, at essence, objecting to the "Castle Doctrine" law itsel.

If so, then just be upfront and SAY so
I don't object to the Castle Doctrine itself, just the assertion that the shooter was protected by its provisions in this case.

Love me some fried okra. Been years.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:34 AM

Quote:
I don't object to the Castle Doctrine itself, just the assertion that the shooter was protected by its provisions in this case.

Love me some fried okra. Been years.
We agree on that, then.

Only thing better than fried okra is black-eyed peas with it!

Old 11-17-2007, 03:06 AM

327 posts, read 752,384 times
They deserved what they got. It's just two less scumbags on the street we have to worry about now.

The old man's a hero in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston