Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 11:26 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times

Advertisements

KimK - the man didn't walk over to a party and shoot people for noise - yeah he should've waited until the police arrived - he didn't it - adreneline was flowing and he shot them - but they were committing a crime - there is a huge difference in the analogy you presented - the man walking over to a garage where there was a noisy party -- that is nothing like the scenario here.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:32 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimK View Post
Often these threads devolve into, "where are you from" or "you are not one of us" kind of thing. Why is that? I have news. It does not matter where I am from as I am merely giving my opinion..
Great post, Kim. And I DO respect your opinion!

But yes, it DOES matter some where (one) is from. To say that people from Boston and San Francisco think (because if nothing else, a social osmosis! ) the same as people from Jefferson, Texas, or Wesson, Mississippi, or Nashville, Tennessee, is to ignore natural diversity and reality.

I am not one of these politically correct people who pretends that something is the way it isn't. There IS a common denominator here in the realm of regional opinions. In the South, we tend to be a more individualistic, impulsive and almost fiery type people extremely prone to take care of our own and believe that criminals are the result of an individual wickedness and flaw in character, not the shortcomings of society. And our law encompasses such an admirable mindset. DON"T mess with Texas, by GAWD!

In the "north" and the "west coast", it seems that, regardless of how individuals may feel, the "law" is on the side of the scumbag.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:38 AM

385 posts, read 1,555,817 times
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear on the party thing. What I am trying to say is that these situations taken individually can become defensible on a individual basis. The line of what is okay and what is not in such circumstances can blur to the point that I bet I could come up with some rational reason why it would have been okay for the guy to blast the party folks or just an extenuating circumstance or two. You laugh but I know I can. Just like my point about whether or not he liked his neighbor. If he had a running battle with this burglary victim, dollars to donuts, he would have been clapping from living room window. Finally, thanks for the point about adrenalin flowing. You are so right and you make my point so well. Training can control adrenaline. He is very lucky it has been determined that they were indeed burglarizing this house.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:49 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,760,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Now then, please, once again, define "progressive"?

Ok to shoot burglers in the street? Oh, c'mon. This is ad absurdem. And? Please define "vigilantes"?

Finally, I hope you will not take my remarks as personally offensive. This is just a conversation.

You should probably invest in a dictionary, I hope you will not take my remark as personally offensive.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimK View Post
You are so right and you make my point so well. Training can control adrenaline. He is very lucky it has been determined that they were indeed burglarizing this house.
Hmmmmm...good observation. But I don't QUITE agree that "training" can control "adrenaline"....if by "adreneline" you mean the natural fear factor which comes in when one is going into a physical type confronation.

"Experience" may "control" the fear a bit, but "training" in and of itself? Not so.

But anyway, I am getting OT! Sorry.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
You should probably invest in a dictionary, I hope you will not take my remark as personally offensive.
Of course not (take it offensive, that is!). And I DO own a dictionary. In fact, I minored in journalism and have even published a few pieces of trash in magazines before.

Soooo, I ask again. What is YOUR definition of progressive as relates to your personal application to Texas?

AND, where are you originally from? What is so hard about that question to answer?

Old 11-18-2007, 12:07 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,606,496 times
ok lets say he gets charged and goes to trial do any of you honestly think any jury in the great state of texas will convict him maybe in new york but not texas

Old 11-18-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
ok lets say he gets charged and goes to trial do any of you honestly think any jury in the great state of texas will convict him maybe in new york but not texas

A chicken fried steak to you, my friend!

Old 11-18-2007, 12:22 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
Perhaps you didn't read the entire thread.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:54 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,760,314 times
texasreb, check your inbox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston