Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:23 AM

134 posts, read 131,567 times

Advertisements

Do they still plan to reconstruct 45?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 09:09 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,439,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
People in Texas resent paying taxes. If you want the roads cleaned up, call your state rep. TxDot is making a political statement. You want the roadways clean, give us the money to do it.
I rarely ever hear Texans say they resent taxes for roads. Where are you hearing this?

Old 04-21-2014, 02:19 PM

18,041 posts, read 25,061,271 times
People love the feeder roads when they are full of nice looking business
What happens when those nice businesses go away and government doesn't invest in that area to keep it from turning into a ghetto? = I-45 North

Old 04-21-2014, 02:43 PM

960 posts, read 2,736,821 times
Texas has poor freeway designers who failed art classes in their youth. Feeder roads should be gone and buffered with tall green trees along the freeway. I won't miss the economic blights.

A good freeway design is I-295 from Baltimore to Washington DC or George Washington Parkway. The next best thing we have is the forgotten Memorial Parkway.

Last edited by Bike4Life; 04-21-2014 at 03:01 PM..

Old 04-21-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
Texas has poor freeway designers who failed art classes in their youth. Feeder roads should be gone and buffered with tall green trees along the freeway. I won't miss the economic blights.
Freeways are designed for transit of motor vehicles not art.

Feeder roads allow people easy access to business.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:02 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,537,646 times
45 the Gulf Freeway was the first freeway in Texas and pioneered that look of service roads filled with stores. Business interests will never agree to adding huge trees to cover their ugly businesses and Houston is a business city.

That being said, Houston freeways are useful! If I am driving through and need gas or a place to stop, I can see what kind of area I'm in. Here in LA and much of the country, you have beautiful trees alongside the freeway even if you're in a super shady area. I've gotten off, did a uturn and got right back on a few times.

So pretty has a price....

Old 04-21-2014, 03:10 PM

960 posts, read 2,736,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Freeways are designed for transit of motor vehicles not art.

Feeder roads allow people easy access to business.
That's fine, you just stay in the cookie cutter neighborhoods with big box stores to satisfy your shopaholic appetite. Some of us have luxury taste and live beyond materialistic things.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:30 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,854,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
45 the Gulf Freeway was the first freeway in Texas and pioneered that look of service roads filled with stores. Business interests will never agree to adding huge trees to cover their ugly businesses and Houston is a business city.

That being said, Houston freeways are useful! If I am driving through and need gas or a place to stop, I can see what kind of area I'm in. Here in LA and much of the country, you have beautiful trees alongside the freeway even if you're in a super shady area. I've gotten off, did a uturn and got right back on a few times.

So pretty has a price....
Maybe not the businesses themselves, but the city & county have planted 1,000's of trees along side all of Houston's major freeways just over the past 10-12 years. I-45 north of downtown all the way up to Spring is looking pretty good.

Maybe you should give credit where credit is due.

http://www.treesforhouston.org/

Old 04-21-2014, 03:36 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,537,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Maybe not the businesses themselves, but the city & county have planted 1,000's of trees along side all of Houston's major freeways just over the past 10-12 years. I-45 north of downtown all the way up to Spring is looking pretty good.
45 north inside the beltway? I know outside the beltway it looks great with lots of trees especially in Montgomery County.

Houston was doing corridors like adding palm trees down the Gulf freeway since it heads to the water and Eucalyptus trees they planted along 59 Southwest freeway close to the beltway. That idea should have gone farther up the freeways. Seems like they did it around the intersections with the beltway and then gave up within a few miles.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
Some of us have luxury taste and live beyond materialistic things.
I don't mind the poor as long as they wear designer clothing, drive nice cars and live in fantastic houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston