Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 03:04 PM

332 posts, read 260,830 times

Advertisements

While there are a couple native species of sub-tropical palm in Texas, many of the palms that you see around the city are imported tropical variety - hence why quite a few died during last year's freeze. I prefer live oak and loblolly pine to add greenery, but they can be expensive to maintain for businesses/the city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2022, 11:09 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrawndagger View Post
Nearly a decade since this thread was started and 45 (N or S, doesn’t matter) is still clearly the ugliest highway in the city. Embarrassing is right
I-45 inside BW-8 is the ugliest portion. Once you leave BW-8, I-45 has been modernized. Everything is done on the north side to the Walker County line and there is progress on the Galveston County section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
All you have to do is look at the North Loop and I-45 interchange
you basically step into a time machine back to the 1950s when you drive there.
I bet nobody has done any work on that interchange in the last 30 years.
The North Loop has been modernized, but the '50s early interstate era left-hand turn split is the only bottleneck and it does cause the massive traffic jams! It would have been removed if not for the delay with the North Houston project to modernize I-45 North inside the Beltway.

The improvements between the Beltway and the Loop (including the interchange) should go ahead now, while the contentious Inner Loop section should be put on the backburner.

Old 03-28-2022, 05:56 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I drive on the freeways to get from Point A to B, not rubberneck towards the side of the road at "beautification". There's no time for that, and it would be a driving hazard.

There are other matters much more important than this. Come on...
So you don't see the billboards and blight around you whenever you get behind the wheel? All you see is the back of someone's car? Yeah ok.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:26 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
This thread brings an interesting point
Why is I-45 North so damn ugly?
Personally, I think that there's several reasons for it
1) Building feeder roaders where they are not needed and there's no demand for businesses
that results in a bunch of shty businesses lined up next to the highway
2) There's a complex issue related to property taxes, gentrification, etc.
A good example of this is how you find empty land in what seems like ideal location for businesses
such as the land next to this address 8010 N Fwy Service Rd, Houston, TX 77037
My theory is that that land sits like that to avoid paying taxes on it.

Any thoughts on all that crap I have in my brain?

Old 03-28-2022, 10:58 AM

11,088 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
So you don't see the billboards and blight around you whenever you get behind the wheel? All you see is the back of someone's car? Yeah ok.
I tune out the billboards, and have no idea what 'blight' you're referring to. I see other vehicles, lanes, freeway signs... the usual stuff you're supposed to be watching when you're on the freeways. If you hate Houston, just leave.

Old 03-28-2022, 07:11 PM

15,429 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
This thread brings an interesting point
Why is I-45 North so damn ugly?
Personally, I think that there's several reasons for it
1) Building feeder roaders where they are not needed and there's no demand for businesses
that results in a bunch of shty businesses lined up next to the highway
2) There's a complex issue related to property taxes, gentrification, etc.
A good example of this is how you find empty land in what seems like ideal location for businesses
such as the land next to this address 8010 N Fwy Service Rd, Houston, TX 77037
My theory is that that land sits like that to avoid paying taxes on it.

Any thoughts on all that crap I have in my brain?
That property is being built on to expand the UPS hub just to the East. The property North of that was owned by a guy in Dallas who ran strip clubs, and is also part of the UPS expansion.

Old 03-28-2022, 07:40 PM

1,725 posts, read 1,025,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Yeah I've always said people's first impressions are everything and Houston doesn't do itself any good once you leave the airport. That part of 45 N/ BW8/ 69 is an eye sore. 45 heading into downtown happens to be one of the ugliest stretches of freeway I've driven on in any major city in America. That's generally people's first impression of Houston.
I think this perception is overblown. Yeah we should beautify our freeways but I’ve travelled extensively throughout the world and surely the drives from the airports are not my enduring memories of those places.

People that criticize the drive from 45N to downtown (that I know) come from suburbia type sanitized places like Fort Collins, Colorado or Scottsdale, Arizona. I tell them “this is what a real city looks like - don’t be scared!”

In terms of nicest drives, the I-10 drive from Katy to downtown is now one of the nicest stretches with the Oleanders and Crape Myrtles lining the freeway. The revamped Hwy290 is not near as bad as it used to be.

Since the 2004 Super Bowl Houston has done a LOT to beautify public spaces. We just need to continue more of the same.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:32 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
I think this perception is overblown. Yeah we should beautify our freeways but I’ve travelled extensively throughout the world and surely the drives from the airports are not my enduring memories of those places.

People that criticize the drive from 45N to downtown (that I know) come from suburbia type sanitized places like Fort Collins, Colorado or Scottsdale, Arizona. I tell them “this is what a real city looks like - don’t be scared!”

In terms of nicest drives, the I-10 drive from Katy to downtown is now one of the nicest stretches with the Oleanders and Crape Myrtles lining the freeway. The revamped Hwy290 is not near as bad as it used to be.

Since the 2004 Super Bowl Houston has done a LOT to beautify public spaces. We just need to continue more of the same.
I think we're sensitive to it because Houston already suffers (and has for decades) an "image" deficit that contrasts to its relative economic success. It's always rankled people that clueless out of towners talked about the city the same way they would the worst Rust Belt loserville even though it was prospering.

Old 03-29-2022, 05:46 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I tune out the billboards, and have no idea what 'blight' you're referring to. I see other vehicles, lanes, freeway signs... the usual stuff you're supposed to be watching when you're on the freeways. If you hate Houston, just leave.
cognitive dissonance at it's finest. And just because I think Houston freeways cut through a lot of ugly looking parts of town doesn't mean I hate living in Houston. LOL relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post

From my experiences and being on this very forum most people who I've heard comment on that stretch of 45 are generally urban centric people. But honestly the drive from IAH or even Hobby into the city center is not a pleasant looking drive. It doesn't help that 45 is a nightmare to drive on during rush hour.

That drive from the airport to the hotel in any city is your first impression of a city. Let's just say if IAH or Hobby were located West of Houston and people had to use I-10E coming from the West of the metro than people might have a better first impression of Houston driving into downtown. When people say Houston is ugly a lot of times it's due to what they're seeing from some of our freeways.

Old 03-29-2022, 06:17 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I think we're sensitive to it because Houston already suffers (and has for decades) an "image" deficit that contrasts to its relative economic success. It's always rankled people that clueless out of towners talked about the city the same way they would the worst Rust Belt loserville even though it was prospering.
I think what Houston lacks is tourism
That's what encourages a city to make things prettier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston