U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-18-2007, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,756 times

Advertisements

If you recently moved to Houston from Southern California , then how do you like it ?

My family planing to move to Texas .

Many Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 09:19 PM

572 posts, read 1,086,041 times
I am from Southern Calif originally, but I have lived in Houston for about the past 8 years. Once you try Tex-Mex, you will never care for California Mexican food again. The bbq is great too. Texans can cook better than anybody in this country, in my opinion. You won't be too crazy about driving here, unless you're used to driving in Los Angeles.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:18 AM

3,005 posts, read 5,742,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
I am from Southern Calif originally, but I have lived in Houston for about the past 8 years. Once you try Tex-Mex, you will never care for California Mexican food again. The bbq is great too. Texans can cook better than anybody in this country, in my opinion. You won't be too crazy about driving here, unless you're used to driving in Los Angeles.
Louisianans are the best cooks then followed by Texas

Old 11-19-2007, 02:47 PM

872 posts, read 2,147,353 times
We lived in Orange County, CA and moved here last October. We really like it. I think we had really LOW expectations, so it was a pleasant surprise to find that not only is it okay, it's really great. I have already made more friends and have a lot more going on here than I did in my five years in the OC. Housing here is so affordable. The heat and humidity are not as bad as I imagined, or as bad as people here said it would be. We spent lots of time at the pool and had a blast. With the help of this forum, we were able to find a great neighborhood. I give our move two thumbs up! ~K~

Old 11-20-2007, 09:56 AM

82 posts, read 196,724 times
Kandy, Do you mind telling me what area you live in? I am moving in January with my kids and fiance.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:49 PM

872 posts, read 2,147,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shermomof3 View Post
Kandy, Do you mind telling me what area you live in? I am moving in January with my kids and fiance.
Sure; We live in Fall Creek, it's North of town, just inside the beltway and near hwy 59. (15 miles to downtown) Master Planned Community

Lots of families here! You can check for homes on Houston Real Estate - Houston Homes, Houston Home Value and Houston Relocation and put zip code 77396. Or, if you are looking for new construction, try Fall Creek - New Homes Houston

We love it here. Good schools, including a new elementary that will open for the fall of 08 school year.

~Kandy

Old 11-20-2007, 01:14 PM

7,752 posts, read 18,532,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy View Post
I think we had really LOW expectations, so it was a pleasant surprise to find that not only is it okay, it's really great.

It always amazes me how many people from CA have that initial attitude until they calm down. Yet they still move here in droves and don't look back... then whine, complain, **** & moan, and downright aggravate every native Texan regarding how everything that is different from CA sucks. Yet they'll tell you CA is everything they wanted to get away from in the first place. It also has me wondering what kind of people would flock to such a cesspool just because it's cheaper?

But anyway: welcome home, and I'm glad you are liking it here so far. Visiting parts of OC, I really felt like I was home. Then I observed some ''behaviors'' and quickly realized I wasn't!

Old 11-20-2007, 02:13 PM

500 posts, read 1,334,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
It always amazes me how many people from CA have that initial attitude until they calm down. Yet they still move here in droves and don't look back... then whine, complain, **** & moan, and downright aggravate every native Texan regarding how everything that is different from CA sucks. Yet they'll tell you CA is everything they wanted to get away from in the first place. It also has me wondering what kind of people would flock to such a cesspool just because it's cheaper?

But anyway: welcome home, and I'm glad you are liking it here so far. Visiting parts of OC, I really felt like I was home. Then I observed some ''behaviors'' and quickly realized I wasn't!
Some people just complain no matter what. I think the ones who complain loudest are the ones who were least clear on why they wanted to move in the first place. Moving for a cheaper house is not really a great reason to move. It can be one of the reasons, but should not be *the* reason.
I think a lot of people in the USA feel entitlement to a home. We think that everyone should own a home, it's as though it's a right.

But in California, and many places, people earning the average household income can't afford a home, not by a long shot. People earning *double* the avg. annual household can't afford homes in many places. I'm not exaggerating, it's fact. You need a good 6-7k net income a month to afford a home here and still eat, keep clothed and drive a car.

We chose Houston initially for cheaper housing. But we sure wouldn't be moving there if it were just that. We next looked at schools, then talked with headhunters, we checked on what utilities, groceries, insurances and so on would cost.
We did our homework, made mental lists of good and bad, and then picked.
We know it will be humid, we know it will have bugs, but the good outweighs the bad, the bad points mostly being things that aren't Houston's fault anyway, i.e. distance from family.

I think a lot of these Californians that can't afford homes are almost desperate and come to Texas to fulfill that need. I think many of them did not think it through.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:00 PM

572 posts, read 1,086,041 times
Well, if any of them want to buy my house, they're welcome to it. My husband transferred to Orlando 2 months ago, and I need to sell it so that we can be together again. I am going to miss the food here BIG TIME!! They can't cook out there.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:22 AM

617 posts, read 1,415,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivax View Post
Some people just complain no matter what. I think the ones who complain loudest are the ones who were least clear on why they wanted to move in the first place. Moving for a cheaper house is not really a great reason to move. It can be one of the reasons, but should not be *the* reason.
I think a lot of people in the USA feel entitlement to a home. We think that everyone should own a home, it's as though it's a right.

But in California, and many places, people earning the average household income can't afford a home, not by a long shot. People earning *double* the avg. annual household can't afford homes in many places. I'm not exaggerating, it's fact. You need a good 6-7k net income a month to afford a home here and still eat, keep clothed and drive a car.

We chose Houston initially for cheaper housing. But we sure wouldn't be moving there if it were just that. We next looked at schools, then talked with headhunters, we checked on what utilities, groceries, insurances and so on would cost.
We did our homework, made mental lists of good and bad, and then picked.
We know it will be humid, we know it will have bugs, but the good outweighs the bad, the bad points mostly being things that aren't Houston's fault anyway, i.e. distance from family.

I think a lot of these Californians that can't afford homes are almost desperate and come to Texas to fulfill that need. I think many of them did not think it through.
Well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston