Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 04:12 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times

Advertisements

Why is it that everyone who moves to Houston has gifted kids? We should be the top country in math/science/arts/technology/writing etc because our entire city is already filled with only gifted kids with thousands more moving here by the week.

While yes there are kids truly gifted, I don't believe there are so many gifted ones. I think except for a few exceptions, gifted is actually the new normal. Gifted keeps them out of the classes with the slower learners and the troubled ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 04:47 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,309 times
it's normal, before puberty

Old 10-08-2013, 05:41 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Lol. The normal classes must be empty, should have a great teacher/student ratio.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:19 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,309 times
Our definition of "gifted" has changed quite a bit since i was a kid. You almost had to be the next Albert Einstein to qualify back in the day.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:24 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
I disagree,
I bet most parents just think that their kid is gifted.

I have a gifted son that is 9 (4th grade), he learned how to read when he was 3 and was always 2 years ahead in reading in his class.
Guess what... It's not all great, because gifted kids, like my son, tend to be behind in social skills and sports.
In math, science, reading ... he can anybody's b... anyday
Every single day I have to work with him on his social skills and try to get him to go outside and play a game or sport, because he would rather stay inside reading books.

I was just told that this year's GT project for him is "research the black hole"
piece of cake for him, he's always talking about it.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:20 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
Our definition of "gifted" has changed quite a bit since i was a kid. You almost had to be the next Albert Einstein to qualify back in the day.
Yeah. All ours started reading at 3. One read Watership Down at 6 years old. He was just a normal A/B student in private school, but needed constantly entertainment and motion. My nephew is crazy smart, but got labelled hyperactive child because he was darn bored. He was dsylexic as well, aka dumb in public school... It was kind of a nightmare. He's at Stanford now.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:48 AM

64 posts, read 135,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
I agree with you. When I think of "gifted," I think of Einstein, Mozart, Hawking, etc. Today's version of gifted just seems to mean "very bright."

Old 10-09-2013, 10:10 AM

360 posts, read 665,316 times
The term "gifted" is a dime a dozen these days. My daughter is one of the "real" gifted ones... she began reading and talking early, her reading, math and language skills have consistently been three to five grades ahead since she entered school, etc. Her teacher (20 yr veteran) even confessed to me that the term "gifted" has run its course and that only a small percentage of people in general should ever receive the "gifted" label. She said that the qualifications for the term has changed over the years.

I feel that gifted kids should be engaged and pushed to do more, especially in STEM fields. But I also believe that labeling kids - positively or negatively - is a waste. People should focus more on cultivating a child's talents. Every kid isn't going to be book smart or the next Einstein. Some of them will be good at basic things and should be pushed to excel within their talent.

I'm proud my child is as smart as she is and I plan to nurture that, but I think people need to get over the labels already. Like the op said, we should be the smartest city in the nation with all the "gifted" kids we have moving here, lol.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:24 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,309 times
My son is gifted too. He jumps off outdoor play structures that is 6 foot high starting at 3yo. He finds slides are boring

Old 10-09-2013, 11:41 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,661,551 times
With our son, in second grade, the elem school pretty much ran out of appropriately leveled texts for him to read because he was so far ahead. He pretty much reads our adult books now at home. But, I agree that the gifted label can be a misnomer. Our daughter is not labeled gifted, but she is much better in math than our son and has other talents, such as art. Each child is different and special in their own way, and they should be treated as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston