U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-13-2013, 09:19 AM

9 posts, read 6,576 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to the Copperfield/NW Houston area from Albuquerque. In Albuquerque, we had DirecTV for TV plus Comcast for internet. It was too expensive.

So, when we moved to Houston we opted for the Xfinity Triple Play for a cheaper rate.

Our experience with Xfinity has been underwhelming (installer was a jerk; took over a week to get second TV working; internet not geolocating correctly, and much more), and now we just discovered Comcast doesn't offer NFL Sunday Ticket. As a result, we are quickly re-thinking our decision in case we want to get out of Comcast during the 30-day grace period in our contract.

However, with so much rain in Houston I'm skeptical about the quality of the DirecTV signal. In Albuquerque, we lost our signal every time we had a thunderstorm (which, granted, was only 5-6 times a year, but we had a 100% outage rate during every storm). I don't want to switch to DirecTV only to discover we have no signal every time it rains.

Can anyone in northwest Houston area who has DirecTV share their experience? I have about a week to decide whether or not to stay with Comcast for TV, so I appreciate any input at all.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 11:27 AM

3,677 posts, read 3,168,048 times
We have had Direct TV at last 3 year in the Champions area. It rarely goes down. Maybe 2 times a year. It is better than when we had Comcast. During a black cloudy drizzly day, it might go off for 10 minutes.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:39 AM

615 posts, read 638,520 times
Make sure it is aligned properly so you have the strongest signal. The weaker the signal it picks up, the more often you will lose signal. I have Dish and when I first got it all it had to do was rain lightly and it would lose signal. Had them come back and realign it once I realized it only had signal strength of 30-40% depending on the satellite. Now have signal strength of 75-85%. Only lose it during heavy rain now.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:03 PM

9 posts, read 6,576 times
Thanks a lot for this info. I'm going to talk with my husband about switching back to DirecTV. I know it's more expensive over the long run, but we always had great service from DirecTV, as opposed to the crapola we get from Comcast.

Again, many thanks!

Old 10-13-2013, 11:57 PM

401 posts, read 365,849 times
We're south of Copperfield and have only been down twice this year for storms, you'll be fine. Contact Brent if you want a good deal on DTV, he installed ours and many other people on Texags.

http://mobile.texags.com/Forums/38/Topics/2025810

Old 10-14-2013, 12:36 AM

10,298 posts, read 9,956,576 times
You can also setup your TV with an antenna as a backup
My signal doesn't go out with antenna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston