Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 03:23 PM

13 posts, read 38,791 times

Advertisements

Well he has my vote! People need to get off their butts and work. I wasa single parent, and my son had cancer...this made me work even harder. I never asked for anything from the goverment. Makes me sick, when I see people using the system to their advantage...using their food stamps card, while holding the latest cell phone! Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:08 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times
Pearland doesn't have many apartments. You may have to look north to the southern Houston Sunnyside area.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:14 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,261 times
Unfortunately, as another poster stated Section 8 is EVERYWHERE. Any owner of a property can accept it and right now I think most investors who've purchased properties with the intention of renting it out or flipping have opted for guaranteed rental income (i.e. section 8)

Now in defense of some Section 8 voucher receipients - not all are bad apples however the bad seem to get the most attention. I've known a few people who were on section 8 at one time or another however it was due to an unexpected "hardship" but they were able to get back on their feet.

Also, homeowners in the community need to be vigilant. If there is a rental home in your neighborhood that is not being kept up to decent standards or if "undesirable" activity is taking place, then TAKE ACTION. If you have an HOA, demand that they cite the owner for deed restriction violations. Call the police every chance you get - have the home put on a watch list for possible illegal activity. Let the owner of the property know what's going on in the home (via an anonymous letter). Don't allow "scumbags" to ruin your community, section 8 or not!

Bottom line - Section 8 is everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by moira1963 View Post
Makes me sick, when I see people using the system to their advantage...using their food stamps card, while holding the latest cell phone! Just my 2 cents.
Oh I soooo agree. hate to go off topic, but i'm in the grocery stores this weekend, after having sat at my computer comparing the best sale prices, clipping coupons from the newspaper, only to go into the store and see women with grocery carts filled - some even with two carts, designer handbags, bluetooth and jewelry - but get to register and pay with foodstamp card..............Talk about P*SSED, I was livid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ayannaaaliyah; 11-19-2007 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: added comment

Old 11-20-2007, 08:16 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,478,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Pearland doesn't have many apartments. You may have to look north to the southern Houston Sunnyside area.
I'm glad Pearland doesn't have many apts. Hopefully it stays that way.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:24 PM

358 posts, read 1,916,337 times
With regards to the crime concern... people on housing subsidies cannot commit crimes, or they get kicked off the subsidy. Even if it's just a visitor on their property committing a crime, they will get kicked off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
Work harder so you can pay half of your income out in state/local/federal fees & taxes, enabling those who do not work to live at around the same level (debt free).
All Section 8 is is a housing subsidy. People who have it still have to pay rent. They still have to pay for everything else they want, just like you. You're being delusional if you think poor people 'live at around the same level' as the middle class. If you're so bothered by it, why do you work so hard? The middle class in the USA is far more wealthier than ever, yet no happier than they were decades ago. Because you are all way too obsessed with money (as seen in posts like yours). Obsessive materialism isn't healthy (according to scientists).

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston View Post
Yes, the harder I work the more I seem to pay out to someone not working to live just as well as I'm living. It seems so unfair. It pisses me off to know that some of these people are totally scamming the system. I can see this happening right in Pearland.
If you know someone is scamming the system, then why don't you report them? If you just sit here and complain, you're enabling it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moira1963 View Post
Well he has my vote! People need to get off their butts and work. I wasa single parent, and my son had cancer...this made me work even harder. I never asked for anything from the goverment. Makes me sick, when I see people using the system to their advantage...using their food stamps card, while holding the latest cell phone! Just my 2 cents.
You think disabled and elderly people (majority of the households on section 8) should 'get off their butts and work'? Here's another example of the work obsessed, money obsessed American culture that doesn't care at all about the disadvantaged.
Cell phones aren't just for rich people anymore. In some cases they're cheaper than a home phone. Personally I'm poor, on Section 8, and have a cell phone.... because I can't afford a home phone! But I'm sure if you saw me with my cell, while paying with food stamps, you would assume I was a *******. How dumb and judgmental some people can be... wow.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:51 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
The section 8 homes are anywhere there is a rental house or apartment owned by a landlord willing to take section 8 payments. It doesn't matter if the places are HUD complexes like you see on OST & Scott St., or middle-class complexes and neighborhoods. Like I said, section 8 is everywhere.
This is the perfect answer to the OP's question. I can see this thread going nowhere real fast so it will be closed.

Last edited by da jammer; 11-25-2007 at 08:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: