Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 08:16 PM

141 posts, read 305,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
A roommate? LOL. I was already pricing in that you would have 3 roommates. Dude, nobody has "a" roommate in NY. You have several. Even with 2 or 3 roommates your rent is going to be 1k to 1500 a month to have about 12 sq feet of personal space and one shared bathroom! Look dude, you're probably a nice a guy in real life, you just need to go there and do it. It's not like it is on TV. Don't tell me about your friends or what you read or what you think, just live there for a year and get back to me. I've been very fair with my assessment of NY. In fact, I've said over and over again now I think everyone should live there once in their life. If you spend a year there you will REALLY appreciate Houston. I'm not saying Houston is better or worse, I'm saying you will "appreciate it". Just give it a go. Living there for a year won't kill ya (I don't think). LOL.
Oh, New York is certainly better (if you can afford it!). I was born and raised in Houston but moved to NYC at 25 and was there for three years and now i'm back in Houston trying to get one of my businesses off of the ground. I'm moving back to NYC as soon as I can. I miss my apartment in Tribeca, I miss my view, I miss the architecture, I miss the street vibrancy, I miss walking everywhere, I miss the biking along the Hudson River Park, I miss the food and the world-class dining scene, I miss Central Park and the fall, I miss the glamorous lounges and bars, I miss the MoMA and the MET, I miss visiting the chaos of Midtown, I miss kayaking on the Hudson, I miss taking my car out of the garage and going on a scenic drive in the beautiful winding, hilly country roads in Bedford and other areas North of Westchester, and stopping for horseback riding, I miss the Hamptons. I think about my former NYC life every day and cry (well not really, but I feel like it lol) . NYC really feels like home and Houston now seems so foreign to me, even though I'm a Houstonian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 08:42 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,756,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Don Draper View Post
Oh, New York is certainly better (if you can afford it!). I was born and raised in Houston but moved to NYC at 25 and was there for three years and now i'm back in Houston trying to get one of my businesses off of the ground. I'm moving back to NYC as soon as I can. I miss my apartment in Tribeca, I miss my view, I miss the architecture, I miss the street vibrancy, I miss walking everywhere, I miss the biking along the Hudson River Park, I miss the food and the world-class dining scene, I miss Central Park and the fall, I miss the glamorous lounges and bars, I miss the MoMA and the MET, I miss visiting the chaos of Midtown, I miss kayaking on the Hudson, I miss taking my car out of the garage and going on a scenic drive in the beautiful winding, hilly country roads in Bedford and other areas North of Westchester, and stopping for horseback riding, I miss the Hamptons. I think about my former NYC life every day and cry (well not really, but I feel like it lol) . NYC really feels like home and Houston now seems so foreign to me, even though I'm a Houstonian.
I did all that stuff and more and I don't miss it. LOL. And yes, many places in the world are nice if you can afford it. Ironic you moved down here to get your business off the ground and not there. Tells you a lot about trying to do any kind of business in NY. Well, either way good luck!

Old 11-16-2013, 01:04 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,121,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
A roommate? LOL. I was already pricing in that you would have 3 roommates. Dude, nobody has "a" roommate in NY. You have several. Even with 2 or 3 roommates your rent is going to be 1k to 1500 a month to have about 12 sq feet of personal space and one shared bathroom! Look dude, you're probably a nice a guy in real life, you just need to go there and do it. It's not like it is on TV. Don't tell me about your friends or what you read or what you think, just live there for a year and get back to me. I've been very fair with my assessment of NY. In fact, I've said over and over again now I think everyone should live there once in their life. If you spend a year there you will REALLY appreciate Houston. I'm not saying Houston is better or worse, I'm saying you will "appreciate it". Just give it a go. Living there for a year won't kill ya (I don't think). LOL.
LMAO! That's fine. I've had 4 roommates and we shared one bathroom. I have a pretty decent amount of experience with the city. Say like past 6 years not 10, not talking 10 years ago. I know it's not like Friends or Sex in the City. I'm way past that. I think you missed the part where I was there on a monthly, sometimes weekly basis. Not exactly the same but enough. I never said I don't appreciate Houston. I'm just over Houston...just like you were over Hoboken and Chicago. Different strokes. I definitely missed Houston in Boston. But all my friends are back in the NE now. I'm going to be moving to NYC to intern in 6 months and will probably stay, so I'll tell you how it is, bud.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 11-16-2013 at 01:19 PM..

Old 12-04-2013, 02:04 PM

35 posts, read 31,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
For a young urban professional such as myself, Houston is a breath of fresh air. I've been living in cities like Boston, NYC, and Los Angeles where the rent is atrocious. I mean unbearable. Currently, I live in Los Angeles and have an income of 50k. I live in a "junior" one bedroom which is a studio apartment that has a wall the separates the living from the bedroom. It sucks. It's not new and in an old but overall safe working class area. I pay 1025, rent and utilities.

I remember living in a luxury apartment on the tail end of the Energy Corridor headed toward Westchase. A spacious one bedroom with a huge bathroom and closet, all for 850. Even then I thought it was too high but I wanted to live someplace nice.

I count the days when I will come back to Houston (one year) and where my 50k will stretch much further. Rent and gas kill your checks here in LA. In Houston I've found un-beatable deals on smaller town homes or converted apartments in really nice areas in the loop for under 900 bucks, usually independently owned. I cannot wait to go back to cheap gas and ample jobs.

You guys have to look at this in context. You're not living out in Boise, Idaho, you're in the fourth largest metro area in the country. What you guys are getting is a bargain for a major bordering on world class amenities for nearly half off. Sure prices are going up in Houston but sometimes I think you guys are a bit spoiled. LOL. I remember living in Houston and there would be some apartments I wouldn't even dare live in because they were slightly older and I would've been afraid of what my friends would've thought (because sorry to say Houston is very keeping up with the jonses, no lie). But now after coming back from my shack in LA, I could care less. Those slightly older nice apartments impress me, that's how humbling it is to come back from a city with a ridiculous cost of living.

Dude, enjoy Houston for everything it has before you get hitched with kids. It really is a young professional's playground.
You live in L.A. You MOVED from here. Thats all that matters. You know deep down in you heart if money was not an issue for you you would live in L.A. Houston is a place where people with financial issues move to. Hence is why the country wants to move here.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilkn View Post
I think the problem you're facing is your salary didn't adjust when you went to LA. That sucks. At least in my field, salaries are all much higher in the Bay Area at least and probably LA too.

Also, I don't know much about the energy corridor, but the luxury apartments in Houston in Midtown, Montrose, etc., are now going for $1300+/month for the smallest 1br units. You can find complexes where the cheapest units are over $2k/month, though those aren't the norm.
Thank you. Houston is NOT cheap.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
First, I don't have any desire to be in the inner loop. My Commute now is to the West side, slightly further West then where I live. Although I don't live where I do according to where I work. In the last 6 years (at the same company) our offices have been in Alief, 290 and 610, 45 and Monroe, and Fulshear. So, for me it's not a question. I live in the Suburbs. I find it crazy that people will spend so much money on their homes. We live well below our means when it comes to our home, meaning we have a less expensive home then what we were approved for. I could not imagine paying say, 5k for a monthly mortgage payment.

With that said, you can find a nice house in a nice suburb for well under 200k. In my household, it is my Husband, me and 2 cats. Why would I want a 3000sq ft house? I don't want to have to clean all of that space, I don't want to have to cool all of that space. Houston and it's surrounding area are still very affordable.
Not for long. in 2 years Houston will be too expensive. Just watch. The more people move here the Higher the prices go.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Haggis View Post
Let me get this straight. You think if you going from single & making your landlord rich... to married w/2 incomes and owning a nice house and building some equity... that makes you lower class?

I think the only thing here that has changed is the elitist attitude. Houston used to be laid back and down to earth. Nowadays I think much of that is gone. It never was all that cheap, even 10 years ago.

Tell ya what... go tell someone outside of Houston you live here and see how high on the totem pole they think you are.
Elitist attitude is rampant all over the country. Even poor people are elitist nowadays, the music today is making everyone young rich and poor arrogant.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
LOL. Well, hate to say it but I agree with you. Houston has grown into a major keeping up with the jonses type of city. In certain sectors it remains down to earth but for the most part it's become a lot like Dallas 2.0. People really care about their stuff, what house they bought, what luxurious part of town they're in, their cars. It's not pretentious in the same vein as NYC and LA but it has absorbed a bit of that Dallas quality I don't like. I don't know how else to describe it. I think maybe and this is just a theory, it's because it lacks the aesthetic qualities of hills, lakes, mountains, outdoors, large arts scene, or whatever that people just concentrate on working and gathering up the niceties a city like Houston can afford them? IDK. But yes, I get what you're saying.
I agree also

Old 12-04-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
I don't get it. Why try to keep up with the Jonses?? They are probably so deep in debt with sleepless nights about how they are going to pay for everything. I really don't care what someone else things about something I may or may have. People who do care are shallow. That's sad....But, at the end of the day, I sleep rather well knowing the only debt I owe....my house and taxes.
House and Taxes is still alot of Debt.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:34 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,929,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBANK View Post
You live in L.A. You MOVED from here. Thats all that matters. You know deep down in you heart if money was not an issue for you you would live in L.A. Houston is a place where people with financial issues move to. Hence is why the country wants to move here.
Well duh, Houston is a poor man's LA and Texas is a poor man's California. That much is true.

Quote:
I agree also
Houston can be remarkably keeping up with the Jonses. In a city like LA or NYC, you either have it or you don't. No one tries to make it seem like they do or else you will be seen as some delusional guy who is faking it until he makes it. The extreme wealth polarization in both cities makes it utterly laughable to keep up with the Joneses.

But in Houston, people working legal assistant jobs and financing a slightly used beamer think they're ballin' out of control. I have friends working logistics for shipping companies making 20 bucks an hour thinking they're entitled to models and bottles at one of Houston's many many douchey clubs. Coupled with facebook and they think they're on a reality show. That is just the worst of it.

On the other end you have the middle class suburban keeping up with the jonses culture. Shopping at the town centers, living in a gawdy master planned community and making people in the lower quadrant think that they're "rich".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston