Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 04:00 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times

Advertisements

I would live in 77504 before I would 77089. 504 would put you in a middle-income area of Pasadena (and away from the plants). Look at homes near Strawberry/Burke/Crenshaw/Fairmont areas.

Oh and WYSIWYG - I learned a long time ago not to judge people (particularly teens) by what they look like. I believe you referred to them as Mexican Goth Skaters - typically skaters don't tend to be thugs and don't harrass people. I went the movies (in Clear Lake) and two of the best dressed, preppy types teens almost knocked me over to get in ahead of me --while a group of teens - all goth dress - pierced and studded beyond believe - stepped ahead of me - only to hold the door open for me and my family. Took my teen to Numbers on lower Westheimer to see Nine Inch Nails - all the goth, pierced crowd treated me with nothing but politeness.

Almeda mall is headed down the tubes big-time just like Gulfgate did so very many years ago when Almeda Mall was new and in vogue. There are plans (by the same guy who redid Gulfgate to basically demolish Almeda Mall and redo in a form similar to Gulfgates - that could be very good for the area. Never noticed the armed guards but then again I haven't gone there in years for safety reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 04:12 PM

241 posts, read 1,178,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Oh and WYSIWYG - I learned a long time ago not to judge people (particularly teens) by what they look like. I believe you referred to them as Mexican Goth Skaters - typically skaters don't tend to be thugs and don't harrass people. I went the movies (in Clear Lake) and two of the best dressed, preppy types teens almost knocked me over to get in ahead of me --while a group of teens - all goth dress - pierced and studded beyond believe - stepped ahead of me - only to hold the door open for me and my family. Took my teen to Numbers on lower Westheimer to see Nine Inch Nails - all the goth, pierced crowd treated me with nothing but politeness.

As a teen I was goth as well. I eventually ended up graduating high school in 3 years, finishing college by age 22, holding a higher-end position at a large Houston company, and qualified and purchased a brand new 2007 home by the age of 23. Goth kids have their heads on straight but are usually neglected. They have to work harder than others to get accepted into society because of stereotypes. Talk to a couple of them, I bet they could hold a pretty amazing conversation with you compared to a fancy dressed teen that's been spoiled.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:29 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
hehe my fault for not being clear. a lot of mexican goth skaters, meaning mexican tean culture is the norm or else they'll be in hiding (they are easily bullied by other groups). and I didnt see 'thugs' but ghetto hoodrats.
speaking of our teens, i sported a 1' mohawk in highschool and most of college, it was colored rust and silver, had eggwhites and waterbased glue on it everyday. spikes, chains and branded Wardog#2...the works, I got anarchy written all over me and giggled when people think i'm a satanist.
I dont think I turned out too bad, just missing thicker hair

Old 11-20-2007, 05:23 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
You're from LA and drove here?

Some thoughts:

The fools who loiter in Houston are still a hell of a lot friendlier than the ones in LA. Being polite like a Texan can go a long way! But use good judgment when to MYOB. Houston is more integrated than LA. It is not pretentious. Many people who live close to 45 Gulf between 610 and 8 are hard-working, blue-collar, middle-class families.

Welcome to Houston.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:59 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,391 times
Welcome to Houston. They are putting pretty new houses in the run down areas of town and people are flocking to them.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:57 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
My temporary location is in someplace called Kirkmont. It seems to be on higher ground than some of the other areas. It's clean and nice. It has the look and feel of a $700k - $1M community in Los Angeles. However, I can't stand box houses. Fortunately, housing choices are abundant...if one is willing to pay the high property taxes. I am not sure if I want to pull $100K out of an account that's making me at least 25% a year and buy something that will require me to put in 10% a year to support it, especially when there is a good chance I will move in two years.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:52 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
What are 'box' houses? A lot of homes in tract-neighborhoods all over the state have a certain Texas-generic look to them.

People who buy homes here can get somewhat trapped in them. You can count 0-6% appreciation per year and high insurance rates, too + HOA fees. This can erase any short-term investment potential unless your house is priced high, perhaps $500k+. Two years, stick with renting. However if you can maintain gainful employment here for 10+ yrs, it's a great place to live comfortably and watch your savings grow.

BTW, Kirkmont is a decent neighborhood. Once you go inside the beltway it gets a little sketchy. I think there are decent apartments close to the Carmax.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:04 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
A) Why would you buy a house if you know you're going to move in two years?

B) Why in the hell would you move to a place that you think sucks and that you made up your mind about that a long time ago?

Old 11-23-2007, 02:57 PM

619 posts, read 2,168,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
My temporary location is in someplace called Kirkmont. It seems to be on higher ground than some of the other areas. It's clean and nice. It has the look and feel of a $700k - $1M community in Los Angeles. However, I can't stand box houses. Fortunately, housing choices are abundant...if one is willing to pay the high property taxes. I am not sure if I want to pull $100K out of an account that's making me at least 25% a year and buy something that will require me to put in 10% a year to support it, especially when there is a good chance I will move in two years.
25% a year?.....

Old 11-24-2007, 09:52 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
What are 'box' houses? A lot of homes in tract-neighborhoods all over the state have a certain Texas-generic look to them.

People who buy homes here can get somewhat trapped in them. You can count 0-6% appreciation per year and high insurance rates, too + HOA fees. This can erase any short-term investment potential unless your house is priced high, perhaps $500k+. Two years, stick with renting. However if you can maintain gainful employment here for 10+ yrs, it's a great place to live comfortably and watch your savings grow.

BTW, Kirkmont is a decent neighborhood. Once you go inside the beltway it gets a little sketchy. I think there are decent apartments close to the Carmax.
Low and mid priced new houses are built on tiny lots, are right next to each other and look nearly identical. I tend to call them box houses. Kirkville, the street I live on, is nice but it's not for me. I went to Clear Lake City yesterday to check it out. It's a nice city. The houses there look like the ones on Kirkville. They seem to be spaced further apart and are a little more expensive. While the houses might be the same in both zip codes, the areas themselves are different. 77062 is more upscale than 77089.

I am still looking to buy. There are so many houses to choose from. I have even looked at FSBO properties. Unfortunately, this market tends to be dominated by house flippers. I like it here so far. I love the winter here -- cold but not too cold with rains sprinkled here and there. The middle class here are doing better than the middle class in Los Angeles. One disappointment is that I haven't met a single person who speaks with that special Texan accent. This is after all Texas. Where are the real Texans at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston