Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 04:15 PM

96 posts, read 370,988 times

Advertisements

Really, the four points you made could apply to ANY major metro area. My wife and I have been here for almost 3 months and we love it here. We came from Central PA (near Philly) and will never go back. Sure, it's hot and humid here, but don't you have access to a pool nearby? NYC, Philly, and Chicago all smell. Try buying a new construction 3,000 square foot home in any of these suburban areas...can't find it. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:16 PM

657 posts, read 2,545,344 times
Saying the city smells and the streets are full of trash is just nonsense. Which streets? You must be talking about something small. As for your commute, it depends on where you work. If you work downtown, Kingwood would probably be a better option than Katy. Weekend traffic isn't too bad in Houston, so the idea that you can't visit anywhere in Houston is again pure nonsense.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:16 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplotz View Post
If that is your only response, then it lends credence to what I am saying. I was not comparing Minneapolis weather to Houston weather. I have lived in a variety of places and these are my observations of Houston as a newcomer.
Guess Minnesotans can't take jokes either. You say Houston smells like poop (just just normal poop, but dog poop), and I can't make a snow comment?

Old 11-20-2007, 04:26 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
As far as my experiences with TX so far, it seems to me that alot to people here are not forward thinking as far as how can we improve our living environment. You guys have done the things the same way for decades and now it's really starting to catch up with the major Texas cities. As i look around Houston for an example, I see very poor city management as far as zoning, law enforcement, road improvement, public transportation and funding of the largest ISD in Harris county. One may ask, "why is that, when this is the 4th largest cities in the country"? My answer would be that people here are relunctant to change and progress towards the future until it's too late. All of these problems that I'd mention which happens to just the tip of the iceberg are all easily correctable. So, why are we still in this situation? Before you answer this question let me guess that you'll pond it off on immigration, katrina evacs., etc.... My point is it's easy to make excuses, however now is the time for those in power to take the initative and correct some of these issues.

just wanted to add that houston was not our first choice and the only reason we came is because MY WIFE really wanted this job offer she received. I took a big pay cut when we moved out here(thank god my wife pay was increased). I have gotten to like the city more and more since we have been here, but sometimes I just have to wonder "do these people have a clue?"

I guess want I'm trying to say , there's a reason why it's sooooo cheap to live hear. I would guess if everyone had a choice where to live and work comfortable, I doubt if dallas, san antonio or houston would even be in consideration. just my .02 cents

"Generally, people here don't seem to care about much outside their own circle of existence. At the grocery store, for example, most people just leave their shopping cart in the parking spot where they parked after they are done with it. So the parking lot is full of abandoned carts blocking access for other people trying to park. Another example: the streets of Houston are full of trash. Everywhere you look there are discarded fast food cups, cigarette butts, and misc. garbage and debris. Natives probably just overlook it, but if you actually look outside you see it everywhere."-jplotz

That is soooo true lol.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:27 PM

6 posts, read 46,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennsylTexan View Post
Really, the four points you made could apply to ANY major metro area. My wife and I have been here for almost 3 months and we love it here. We came from Central PA (near Philly) and will never go back. Sure, it's hot and humid here, but don't you have access to a pool nearby? NYC, Philly, and Chicago all smell. Try buying a new construction 3,000 square foot home in any of these suburban areas...can't find it. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Use to live in Central PA also, about 5 years ago. What town you from?

Old 11-20-2007, 04:55 PM

9 posts, read 48,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheasare View Post
The "myth" you describe is only misleading if you compare Houston to a smaller city like Minneapolis which in the metro area has less than half a million people. Smaller, less densely packed cities are by far less expensive.

C.

The twin cities metro area (which includes Minneapolis) has a population of 3.5 million, making it the 15th largest in the US. I would guess that it is a bit denser than the Houston metro area. Minneapolis is actually fairly expensive, overpriced in my opinion (which is part of why we moved away). So, it seems your idea about comparisons between Houston and other cities is also disingenuous.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:02 PM

713 posts, read 1,865,978 times
The thing is, most of the eastern U.S. is really hot and humid in the summer. I lived in St. Louis for a few years, and the summertime heat and humidity was unbearable. The same thing for Atlanta and many other southeast cities. It's not just Houston. If Houston smells like "dog poop" because of the humidity, I'd imagine many other cities would too.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:10 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplotz View Post
The twin cities metro area (which includes Minneapolis) has a population of 3.5 million, making it the 15th largest in the US. I would guess that it is a bit denser than the Houston metro area. Minneapolis is actually fairly expensive, overpriced in my opinion (which is part of why we moved away). So, it seems your idea about comparisons between Houston and other cities is also disingenuous.
Well, Houston is actually denser (using urban areas), and has over two million more people (actually, The Twin Cities have about 3.1 million people according to this, so Houston would have almost three million more people). The trash, etc. isn't unique to just the Houston metro. I have seen cigarette buds, trash, etc. in many other cities outside of Texas.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:11 PM

832 posts, read 3,853,682 times
I moved here, from Northern California in 2005 (Kingwood), and love it. The original post is far removed from my experience of Houston.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:11 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,502 times
Sorry your experience here was not a good one. I personally think you chose the wrong area to live (rent). I'm not a fan of Katy (no offense to those who live there). You should have tried North or somewhere like Kingwood.

I wish you the best on where you next call "Home".

~K~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston