Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 05:42 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,218,368 times

Advertisements

again...these same folks left 3rd ward to create the suburbs and now they run back to do the same?

The energy bubble bursts...what happens?

Old 10-31-2013, 05:43 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I'm black and I like when I see "whitey" move in, that means the neighborhood is on a upswing.
Uncle Ruckus Photo Gallery 6 - A Sad Song on the Violin

Old 10-31-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
or their situation/sexual orientation has changed and theres really only a few places where they can feel accepted or invisible... with the colored people. Houston in general does work as a place to go to when youre running away from your past

Your a hypocrite.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:50 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
We know when Whites have returned is when they take over Sunnyside and South Park...

they left HISD in shambles but we expect them to come back and save it? please...

Whites were built Madison, Sterling, Jones, Milby, etc. but it wasn't good enough for them...so why is it going to be good for the next round?
LMAO! When Sunnyside comes back around we'll know for sure. That and when they finally push through and move everyone from outside of the Beltway. They might be able to move minorities out of the Loop but north of 610 to the Beltway I'm sorry but black people and Hispanics minorities are not going anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Wow so this myth that HISD is the pits while KISD and Ft. Bend have the best schools known to man, is all just talk? I figured as much since I knew young professionals were pouring into the city making it more expensive but also because I always found it hard to believe that all HISD schools (not just affluent ones) were that bad.

I also didn't find anything all that remotely special about the KISD schools outside of a few things. In fact the last article I read was that suburban poverty is becoming just as much if not a a bigger issue than urban poverty for Houston as more and more people who cannot afford a city are buying or renting homes in suburban areas. So it's not like Katy is all Cinco Ranch or the Woodlands is all nice, there are plenty of areas in those zones that suffer the same problems.

The only major white flight I really see is WAY out past Harris into Ft. Bend in places like Fulshear, Simonton, Westin Lakes, Richmond, etc. There are people of all stripes there too but I've noticed it's mostly Caucasian.
I feel like there's the sense that minorities in the burbs care more. You know they do live in a house aka more expensive even to rent rather than an apartment. Not that there's anything ever wrong with an apartment but a house is just more money so despite a school having more minorities they aren't seen as broke broke because.

SES wise in the burbs 70% of the kids are on the same level vs in the Loop. 500k ranch style house kid going to X elementary sitting next to classmate from $700 apartment.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Trolls and racebaiters are unable to have an intelligent conversation, that's why I always throw them back an "intelligent" question and then they don't know what to say

How is my statement unintelligent? I have to get my point across nicely on these here forums.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Um, prices in the Loop may be up but HISD is still extremely minority high so it's going to take a LONG time to push minorities out of the Loop.

HISD as a whole. The Loop is very segregated. Look at the school numbers. It's kind of humourous/sad. Blacks and Hispanics at like 70%+ and you're like I know there's white people in the Loop. Then you look and they're all squeezed into like 3 schools. Pretty soon, if not already people will be being bribed "My kids HAVE to go to THIS school in HISD. It's the less minority one so naturally the teachers will care more and so will the parents"

Not every white person with some dough wanting to live in the Loop will be able to squeeze into West U and Bellaire. It's just not possible.

And what if that doesn't happen? What happens if we stay and we become the dominant in this city? What will you do if we make Houston greater then its ever been without you??

Old 10-31-2013, 06:14 PM

285 posts, read 568,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I've heard anecdotally that this has happened in a couple Heights elementaries which used to be primarily low-income Hispanic but are now more yuppie kids (heavily Anglo). Travis and Harvard are the ones I've heard mentioned - anybody have stats to prove that out?
Yes, they are becoming more white. Not "heavily Anglo" yet but trending in that direction. Also the % of kids on reduced/free lunches has plummeted from 75% to less than 25% at Harvard Elem since 2006.

Travis Elem -

Travis Elementary School in Houston TX - SchoolDigger.com

Harvard Elem -

Harvard Elementary School in Houston TX - SchoolDigger.com

Old 10-31-2013, 07:34 PM

286 posts, read 555,249 times
just because 5% of the city is gentrifying hardly means whites are making a return to Houston, overall Houston will continue to lose whites like all cities.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:00 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
And what if that doesn't happen? What happens if we stay and we become the dominant in this city? What will you do if we make Houston greater then its ever been without you??

Well I'm black so I'm not the 'you' you're referring to.

You must have been bored today starting this thread.

Honestly, we're too smart CD to post in a thread with a one sentence opener. If you want to start a serious and intelligent topic conversation give a little. Just a random sentence is just like trolling.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:23 PM

498 posts, read 837,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
again...these same folks left 3rd ward to create the suburbs and now they run back to do the same?
Italians and Jews are who left 3rd Ward/Riverside. Are they moving back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston