U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 01:27 PM

75 posts, read 123,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
I predict that it's going to be cookie cutter townhomes and glass towers like what's going on in midtown and rice military. It's proximity to downtown is too close for it not to end up that way. Since the east end doesn't have many established, nice old homes like the heights or montrose, most of what's left will be bulldozed for modern replacements. It'll probably make the skyline prettier eventually though, and make the traffic on the stretch of I-45 between I-10 and I-69 that much worse.

Doubt it in the short term future. Second Ward doesn't look much different than what Brooksmith, for example, looked like 10-15 years ago. No glass towers or "midtown effect" happening there. Just new single family homes, sprinkle of town homes and old renovated homes. I foresee the same effect for the Second Ward portion (North of Harrisburg/West of Lockwood) and the Eastwood portion (South of Harrisburg) of the East End in the near future. This year alone, four properties were completely rehabbed on my block alone here in Second Ward, no tear downs. To me that is significant being as there had been no interest in my general vicinity prior to that in the last 5 years I've lived here. My point...there are plenty of old properties left to renovate in the East End. However, I can see the "midtown effect" happening in the EaDo area immediately east of downtown. While part of the Greater East End, it is distinctly a whole different neighborhood, as Midtown is to Montrose.

Last edited by intencity77; 07-25-2014 at 01:38 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 03:50 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,458,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intencity77 View Post
Doubt it in the short term future. Second Ward doesn't look much different than what Brooksmith, for example, looked like 10-15 years ago. No glass towers or "midtown effect" happening there. Just new single family homes, sprinkle of town homes and old renovated homes. I foresee the same effect for the Second Ward portion (North of Harrisburg/West of Lockwood) and the Eastwood portion (South of Harrisburg) of the East End in the near future. This year alone, four properties were completely rehabbed on my block alone here in Second Ward, no tear downs. To me that is significant being as there had been no interest in my general vicinity prior to that in the last 5 years I've lived here. My point...there are plenty of old properties left to renovate in the East End. However, I can see the "midtown effect" happening in the EaDo area immediately east of downtown. While part of the Greater East End, it is distinctly a whole different neighborhood, as Midtown is to Montrose.
I agree for the most part; I apologize as I wasn't really as specific as I should have been. I was referring to areas west of Milby st. and south of Navigation blvd only. You're also right that it's probably awhile before any extremely large buildings go up. The surrounding areas will definitely still see changes as a result though eventually.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:43 PM

370 posts, read 522,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intencity77 View Post
Its true, and even that will take some time. Give it a good 4 - 5 years and you will start seeing it. A good way to tell is when Midtown prices and EaDo prices of homes are very similar in cost. (this is the region directly east of downtown)

Montrose is Montrose, you just can't replace it easily. It'll last the way it is for atleast a long while. Even then when the culture is all gone 25+ yrs from now, It's location of being south of the Heights/Washington, west of midtown/downtown, north of museum district/west u, and east of highland village/galleria/upper kirby makes it so in demand for buyers. as people who generally buy inside the loop or city, want to be close to everything

Old 07-26-2014, 10:37 AM

191 posts, read 307,571 times
This is a home inside the loop in 77029...

Old 07-26-2014, 02:39 PM

693 posts, read 944,879 times
What does this Tier 1 stuff mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Fact is that it is inevitable since the University of Houston has reached Tier 1 status and there is now considerable demand for better housing from this generation of students and the quality of life from a short commute by highly compensated university faculty and staff.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:13 PM

75 posts, read 123,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golferadam View Post
This is a home inside the loop in 77029...

If that is inside the loop as you say, then it's in Pleasantville (an area near the brewery), not the Greater East End district. The entire 77029 zip code lies north of Buffalo Bayou. The bulk of the East End lies SOUTH of Buffalo Bayou, East of US 59, north of I-45/Gulf Freeway and west of 610. Additionally, if you are using that picture to discount the fact that their are no nice homes in the East End, then the same can be shown for The Heights, West End or other "hot" areas. There are always gonna be trashy, unkept, abandoned properties in almost EVERY inner city neighborhood no matter how "it" they are. As inner city neighborhoods gentrify, these type of eyesore properties will decrease but will never completely go away.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:35 PM

33 posts, read 39,756 times
Just purchased a new construction townhouse in the East End, so this would be good news for me

Old 08-08-2014, 08:59 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,174,921 times
No it won't.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:01 PM

849 posts, read 1,356,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGuyBlkGT View Post
Just purchased a new construction townhouse in the East End, so this would be good news for me
The East End covers a LOT of territory. Which neighborhood are you in? Many of the new townhouses are actually in Eado, just east of downtown.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:48 AM

4,789 posts, read 8,761,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
until the schools change, wishful thinking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
not really the school did not change with midtown, the demographs did.which lead to the schools changing
When Midtown changed it just meant J. Will Jones Elementary closed. Backlash Upon Backlash at HISD | Houston Press At first parts of Midtown that were previously zoned to J. Will Jones were zoned to Blackshear, but since then they've been changed to Gregory Lincoln K-8. Gregory Lincoln itself has downsized (the new campus is smaller than the old one) because the area itself is having fewer and fewer kiddos. A part of Midtown has always been zoned to MacGregor Elementary. Middle school: it's Gregory-Lincoln and has been for years.

As for high school, Midtown is mostly zoned to Lamar, with small bits going to Reagan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or