Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 04:28 AM

5 posts, read 13,400 times

Advertisements

I've been reading/following this board for months now in anticipation of our upcoming move in December. I've learned a lot from you all (thank you!), but still need some help in school/neighborhood selection.

We're moving back to Houston after 7 years abroad as expats. Our son is 9 (4th grade), has been attending academically-challenging int'l schools, now speaks three languages and consistently tests in the gifted range on state and IQ tests. We're told he needs a gifted program, IB program, or at least an academically-rigorous school that allows him to do coursework by ability, not grade and preferably has access to chess, robotics, foreign language, etc. at school.

Criteria:

1. A school that takes mid-year students and that goes beyond 5th grade so as not to have to move him again after 6 months...or 1 1/2 years (he's been moved every 2 years for the last 7).

2. Highly-selective academically with admissions or one with a solid gifted program (more than a one-day a week pull out). The HISD Vanguard Program and the new SBISD Gifted School do not accept mid-year students in their programs. Even if he qualifies, there is no guarantee he'll get selected via the lottery for the following September, which puts our house hunt/neighborhood decision in absolute limbo.

3. Private school tuition around 12K/yr or below. We hired a private school consultant and her recommendations for him based on his history, test scores, IQ, interests, etc. were St. Johns, Kincaid, Regis, Western Academy, St. Thomas. We can't afford the 17-20K/year private schools, but I think we make too much to qualify for tuition assistance.

4. A location that would allow us to live not far (10 mins by car) from school, and not too far (within 35 mins) from my husband's office at Westheimer and 8. Our preference is to live in the Memorial area near hubby's work, if we can find decent housing for 450K/under. Fixer upper okay in safe and pretty area.

Schools we're still considering:

Western Academy
St. Thomas (though not a great location for us in terms of hubby's work at Westheimer/8)
Fort Bend Christian Academy

Western Academy (Catholic) is fairly new in Houston. It seems very interesting and a good fit for his personality, love for outdoors, and what seems like rigorous academics. But not many online in Houston have heard of them. Should that worry me? They are molded after a very successful school call "The Heights" in Potomac, Maryland.

Opinions on any/all of these schools for a gifted kid who is quite social (and a bit worldly due to his extensive travels)? Any other private schools that you would recommend? Or public schools with strong GT programs that would fit our needs for mid-year entry?

Thanks a million. This is turning out to be a much more difficult decision than we anticipated.

JA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 05:19 AM

914 posts, read 1,818,932 times
Look at the Awty school. It has high academic standards. Awty has lots of international students. Some of these students may move in and out during the year--so there may be some openings. They might be very interested in your son's background and "find" a place for him. Awty is near 1-10 and 610 close to the Memorial area.

Housing in the Memorial area is sky rocketing in price because of all of the oil jobs and resurgence of the Houston housing market in general. Look north of 1-10 or in further out Memorial. Get a good realtor to help you.

Most of the private schools have application deadlines in December for entry the following fall. Acceptances go out in March. You should get on that asap. The natural entry points for most private schools are at 6th and 9th grade. Low priced private schools with high admission standards are a rarity in Houston. The schools charge what the market will bear, and there are brilliant kids lined up to take all available slots. Some of the Catholic schools are a bit less expensive because the church underwrites them.

I have never heard of the Western School. If you go the public route, Spring Branch ISD might be your best bet. If you move into a good zoned area, the school has to take you at mid year. There are lots of good elementary and middle schools in Spring Branch ISD. This could guide you housing search.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:57 AM
fnh

2,887 posts, read 3,888,640 times
I would also suggest Awty as your son sounds like a typical student there, but tuition with fees runs close to 20K now. There is financial aid available. Have you considered raising your school budget and lowering your home budget?

Old 11-05-2013, 06:51 AM

2,546 posts, read 4,022,513 times
I have friends who really like the Western school. They have high standards so I take their recommendation seriously.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:57 AM
fnh

2,887 posts, read 3,888,640 times
I was just doing some reading on the Western Academy website, there is very little information there. Is it new?

Two words strike me immediately: Opus Dei...

Old 11-05-2013, 01:13 PM

509 posts, read 726,982 times
You might also consider one of the Classical Schools around town. They are based upon the classical model of education, which you can read about on the websites of those schools. Typically,they have very reasonable tuition.

One of these is Veritas Christian Academy in Bellaire. There are a few others scattered around the suburbs.

Last edited by Houston parent; 11-05-2013 at 01:34 PM..

Old 11-12-2013, 02:18 AM

Thank you to ALL of you who replied to my post and for the private messages, as well. Your suggestions and insight is very helpful to us and we're currently researching your recommendations. It's great to have eyes and ears on the ground there in Houston to help us out before we arrive! Merci beaucoup!

Old 11-12-2013, 08:35 AM

175 posts, read 367,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post

One of these is Veritas Christian Academy in Bellaire. There are a few others scattered around the suburbs.
Veritas is pretty good. I have a couple of friends whose kids go there and they are very happy with the school. Last time I looked at their website, I saw that all of their teachers were Texas certified, which is a rare thing for most private schools.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 5,604 times
Don't listen to HISD and SBISD when they say they don't accept new students. If your child is already gifted, they have to. You might have to coax with legal action, but what thing I've learned living here is once you say "feds", Texans often times get scared.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:48 PM

Thanks again for the replies. I thought I'd swing by with an update.

Veritas looks good but the location in relation to my husbands work (Westheimer/8) is not as desirable.

Thanks for the Awty suggestions. I agree, he would fit in there like a perfect puzzle piece. I spoke with Awty about their Int'l side and the language director was actually pushing us to the French side due to my son being fluent in French and having gone to a rigorous French prep school here in Paris. It would be great for him to solidify that language for 1 1/2 more years at Awty, then move to the Int'l side in 6th grade. But, then he's in the French academic system -- very different from the US. And, wow, we're back to looking at a 20K/year tuition. Ouch. We'll apply for assistance, but I doubt we'll get anything. The smaller house suggestion may just be the route we have to go (though after living in tiny apartments with no outdoor space the past 7 years we were really hoping for a big yard.

Also, Western Academy still looks like a front runner (thanks for your input on that school). Very different from Awty, but very interesting. I interviewed many families from there on my own...all quite happy with the academics and culture. They have an accelerated Math program by level (rather than grade), which works for our son. The families say it's a different experience than most private schools...in a good way. Many of them transferred last year from notable private schools in Houston. The Opus Dei reputation...was morphed by a hollywood movie. After a lot of research, I'm not concerned about that at all. One thing is for sure...the boys there get a lot more outdoor time. Our impression is that it's sort of a combined boy scouts/Catholic/British prep school experience. For a 9 year old city kid like ours (having lived 3 years in central Tokyo and 4 years in central Paris), all that roughing it boy-style would certainly be good for him.

I'm sending apps to St. John and Awty as back ups for Fall. Awty and Western Academy are possibilities for January (with some begging thrown in). I've also pre-registered for Bunker Hill for January (based on our projected temp housing location) to bridge a 6 month gap, if needed.

Whew! Feels like college apps and he's only 9. So glad I have you locals to help us make decisions. Thanks for the input and feel free to comment if you think of any other angles, options, concerns, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: