Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 07:00 PM

4 posts, read 8,020 times

Advertisements

The place is on 77072 in a gated community on Leader St in the Alief school district. I like the place, just a little on the fence about the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 07:15 PM

129 posts, read 234,585 times
I did a lot of research on Houston before moving here two weeks ago. Heard only negative on this forum regarding Alief. But, in these two weeks I've read and watched of literally dozens shot/wounded/found dead in Cypress and zero news reports of Alief.

Cypress is an area I was lead to believe was safe by this forum, and Alief a place to avoid. So I don't know what to believe at this point.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:28 PM

4 posts, read 8,020 times
Hmm, i hear its a big area.

I'd be living in this community located here
http://imageshack.com/a/img843/1831/f2v8.png

Old 11-20-2013, 07:38 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,312 times
I live in alief, a block from here. I think this complex is fine BUT the one on the other side is not good. Theyve been trying to clean up that place but it still has some crackhead characters. Cheap apartments in this area got a lot of katrina refugees back in 2006 and there are still a few rowdy ones in apartment complexes
Try that apartment on cook rd. Near the school. Or on synott, it a different world down there
Renting a house might be better

Old 11-20-2013, 08:14 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmILost View Post
I did a lot of research on Houston before moving here two weeks ago. Heard only negative on this forum regarding Alief. But, in these two weeks I've read and watched of literally dozens shot/wounded/found dead in Cypress and zero news reports of Alief.

Cypress is an area I was lead to believe was safe by this forum, and Alief a place to avoid. So I don't know what to believe at this point.
The thing about Cypress is that it's not really a defined area. Depending on who you ask people will say they live in Cypress as far east as 249, southeast to Jersey Vilage, west to near Katy, and northwest to near Hockley. This happens because Cypress is unincorporated. So Northwest Harris County is sometimes just called Cypress. It would be equivalent to a crime occurring in Spring and people saying it happened in The Woodlands, or a crime occurring in Alief and people saying it was Katy, or a crime in Stafford being lumped in with Sugar Land. The boundary of "Cypress" is huge and encompasses a lot of communities. Many of those communities are sketchy. The people who actually live in Cypress and have a Cypress address are clustered around Cy-Fair High School. But the news considers anything within the Cy-Fair ISD borders to be Cypress which is crazy because there are over a quarter of a million people living in that area.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:

That bad part of cypress is actually nearer the industrial complexes. The bad part of alief is on bissonet which is the part closest to fondren SW where crime is pretty high. North alief especially westpark is pretty safe

Old 11-20-2013, 08:22 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,039 times
Quote:

Crime happens in Alief. Stabbing, murders, "gang" fights, robberies on a daily basis. The news just choose which ones they want to report on. They will get more of a rise from viewers when they report on something bad happening in a supposedly "good" area.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
Crime happens in Alief. Stabbing, murders, "gang" fights, robberies on a daily basis. The news just choose which ones they want to report on. They will get more of a rise from viewers when they report on something bad happening in a supposedly "good" area.
Hmm khou website will put EVERYTHING on their website even news they dont have details about. Just today they reported a raid on a house in Fondren SW but no other info. I also saw news about counterfeit coach bags being sold on harwin dr and 4 nobodies pictures are on the website. I mean who cares about that especially if you shop on harwin. Its the internet... they put headlines first and they can update later with details if theres development

Old 11-20-2013, 08:43 PM

Also crime in sugarland, katy etc especially in bigger subdivisions is a bigger deal because they pay a premium for their sense of safety. And that particular crime could happen to anyone in that particular subdivision or another similar to it. In places like Alief which has a dense population, crime is mostly around cheap apartments on bissonet and maybe sportsbars.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:19 AM

Check out today's houston crime headlines
khou.com | Houston Crime News, Crime Stoppers, Videos, Crime Blogs - KHOU.com

Apparently Houston's Thanksgivings day float is an illegal act
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston