Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 01:31 PM

213 posts, read 388,319 times

Advertisements

Believe it or not a lot of millionaires enjoy living in Houston. Just ask one of the 100,000+ that live here. They enjoy giving back to the community via philanthropy. Houston has shelter for all classes including the High Net Worth Individual. Notice how I said giving and not taxing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 01:38 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,006,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostOak5115 View Post
Believe it or not a lot of millionaires enjoy living in Houston. Just ask one of the 100,000+ that live here. They enjoy giving back to the community via philanthropy. Houston has shelter for all classes including the High Net Worth Individual. Notice how I said giving and not taxing.
Well I like how they remain shrouded from the limelight. It gives them a mysterious quality. The only glimpses I get are some of the social society rags in Houston, other than that I don't think too many people have stories about this wealthy class to tell. It's not like living in LA or NYC and talking about being in the same bar or club or party in the hills with James Franco or something.

The thing I like about Houston is how un-pretentious the people are. For instance, as much I completely disagree with former President Bush, I think he is a rather humble man and I am always surprised that whenever TV showcases his homes or his lifestyle or where he eats it's always stuff that reminds me of my family and where I've eaten before. I mean it doesn't take a gozillionaire to visit Mesina Hof. Everything, no matter how wealthy in Texas, always has that upper middle class Western feel to it, do you guys know what I mean? It's never that off the wall utterly pretentious clearly exclusive other worldly vibe to it. I like that and love Texas for that very reason. It's not like trying to dine in NYC where you feel like there are modern day Pharohs that occupy the god-like structures built in their name *cough* Trump, P.Diddy....

Old 12-05-2013, 01:53 PM

1,011 posts, read 976,431 times
The advantage LA has over Houston is its location. It's natural setting and the weather can't be surpassed by Houston's flat and humid environment. In that regard, Houston will never be better than LA no matter the amount of money spent on beautification. With that said, I think Houston is doing a good job, albeit slow, in developing "natural" beauty with landscaping, man-made lakes in MPC, gentrification of previous downtrodden areas, etc. Houston is doing its best with the hand it is dealt. Could there be improvement in infrastructure. Hell yes.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:58 PM

99 posts, read 151,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
The advantage LA has over Houston is its location. It's natural setting and the weather can't be surpassed by Houston's flat and humid environment. In that regard, Houston will never be better than LA no matter the amount of money spent on beautification. With that said, I think Houston is doing a good job, albeit slow, in developing "natural" beauty with landscaping, man-made lakes in MPC, gentrification of previous downtrodden areas, etc. Houston is doing its best with the hand it is dealt. Could there be improvement in infrastructure. Hell yes.
I couldnt have said it any better. Houston is at a disadvantage when it comes to geography and weather. But with planning and a pro-active society (govt included), Houston will become a truly global city in the next 5-6 years IMO.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:21 PM

I also agree and would to commend 3shipguy's comments. That is exactly the plan Houston needs to adopt and continue to be on top.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:04 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
The advantage LA has over Houston is its location. It's natural setting and the weather can't be surpassed by Houston's flat and humid environment.
First, the weather. Yes, LA's weather (and San Diego's) pretty much can't be beat.

Now, as far as the natural beauty and LA go, most people can't afford to see the ocean views. The best view the majority of the middle class will get are some house covered hills and the mountains in the far distance. The middle class can visit the natural beauty, but they aren't living there.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:05 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I also agree and would to commend 3shipguy's comments. That is exactly the plan Houston needs to adopt and continue to be on top.
Quote:
developing "natural" beauty with landscaping, man-made lakes in MPC
But, but, but, that's just gaudy.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
But, but, but, that's just gaudy.

Gaudy as some of them may be, I don't my preference is for everyone, so I encourage more of what the people want. They like that stuff and if that is what attracts highly skilled people then so be it.

Also, I mentioned the fake lake MPC of Fulshear, Cross Creek as gaudy. I love Sugar Land and I think the Woodlands is heaven. I love it. I would love to live there. I remember attending a lecture by Nobel Peace Prize recipient Muhammad Yunus, after eating at a restaurant neaby with a heli-pad, after that walking around the many developments surrounded by a fake river, stream, creek or whatever they were trying to pull. I just personally think Cross Creek is gaudy and the things they're building out there in the Ft. Bend area.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
First, the weather. Yes, LA's weather (and San Diego's) pretty much can't be beat.

Now, as far as the natural beauty and LA go, most people can't afford to see the ocean views. The best view the majority of the middle class will get are some house covered hills and the mountains in the far distance. The middle class can visit the natural beauty, but they aren't living there.
Last I hear, you have to pay to go on to that boardwalk in Galveston that looks like a cheap knockoff of the Santa Monica Pier? Is that right? I truly don't know.

Anyways, LA's public spaces are free and open to the public. Parking is another matter entirely but I was surprised by how much the city allocates for it's citizens. You don't have to be rich to go to the beach, hike the hills or hang out at the parks.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:48 PM

99 posts, read 151,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Last I hear, you have to pay to go on to that boardwalk in Galveston that looks like a cheap knockoff of the Santa Monica Pier? Is that right? I truly don't know.

Anyways, LA's public spaces are free and open to the public. Parking is another matter entirely but I was surprised by how much the city allocates for it's citizens. You don't have to be rich to go to the beach, hike the hills or hang out at the parks.
Yes you have to just just to get on the boardwalk. Its more expensive if you want to go on the rides. I took my mom and wife (who is from LA)...Yeaaaaaa guess who had a "non-impressed" face. I took my wife who was at that time my gf to UCLA and then Santa Monica. It is heaven compared to Galveston. Having said that I do see all the improvements they have made in the Galveston area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston