Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 01:38 PM

54 posts, read 127,689 times

Advertisements

Houston has gotten very ghetto in fact I used to love Houston now I cant stand it and am hardly ever here. The amount of ghetto people I run into on a weekly basis is beyond annoying. You can just go to your local store and some ghetto person will do something like cut you in line with their 20 kids or threaten you over nothing. I went to a local bar and turned my back for 2 seconds and this ghetto guy stole my beer and ran away. At my job a woman slapped me because I said I don't like ghetto girls and I got attacked by 3 of her friends right after. You just get caught up in dumb situations like this because of the horrible demographic of the people. I seriously need to venture out into the woodlands or just get out of Houston completely. The low cost of living brings nothing but trash here you have a bunch of poor trashy people moving here in flocks causing nothing but problems and people see this as a plus. The money here and low cost of living does not make up for a **** poor quality of life and extreme ghettoness. Cant believe people put up with this just for a paycheck and a cookie cutter home in the burbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 02:13 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,927,080 times
Well Houston lacks working class neighborhoods that are safe and not run down. If there are they're few and far between. Instead you have low cost low income areas that are the pits or high end master planned areas. Even the nicer middle class burbs I first grew up in before my family moved out for the country life in Ft.Bend are seeing a lot of poverty creeping in. I think half of Katy has parts like this that I used to remember as nice.

People move to Houston for the low cost living and ample jobs but the people that don't have the creds or the high labor skills to land the high paying jobs get the other half of the job growth: low wage service sector. These jobs are low pay with little benefits and the social services in Texas suck big time so ppl are just SOL living in ghetto areas. Not to mention Texas being a right to work state and you have a huge poverty problem that the boosters love to ignore. They think its a matter of personal initiative not a socio-political one.

So yeah being poor in Texas is only marginally better than being poor in a place like Detroit. In the latter you're living off the government going no where, no jobs, while in the former you're working a crappy job going no where with no social help but at least the rent is cheaper.

Welcome to Houston.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:38 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,433,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Well Houston lacks working class neighborhoods that are safe and not run down. If there are they're few and far between. Instead you have low cost low income areas that are the pits or high end master planned areas. Even the nicer middle class burbs I first grew up in before my family moved out for the country life in Ft.Bend are seeing a lot of poverty creeping in. I think half of Katy has parts like this that I used to remember as nice.

People move to Houston for the low cost living and ample jobs but the people that don't have the creds or the high labor skills to land the high paying jobs get the other half of the job growth: low wage service sector. These jobs are low pay with little benefits and the social services in Texas suck big time so ppl are just SOL living in ghetto areas. Not to mention Texas being a right to work state and you have a huge poverty problem that the boosters love to ignore. They think its a matter of personal initiative not a socio-political one.

So yeah being poor in Texas is only marginally better than being poor in a place like Detroit. In the latter you're living off the government going no where, no jobs, while in the former you're working a crappy job going no where with no social help but at least the rent is cheaper.

Welcome to Houston.
I can help you find a cheap place in Detroit. It sounds like it's more your speed.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I can help you find a cheap place in Detroit. It sounds like it's more your speed.
Little quips like this don't help your case.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:22 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,012,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamaicanSprinter View Post
Houston has gotten very ghetto in fact I used to love Houston now I cant stand it and am hardly ever here. The amount of ghetto people I run into on a weekly basis is beyond annoying. You can just go to your local store and some ghetto person will do something like cut you in line with their 20 kids or threaten you over nothing. I went to a local bar and turned my back for 2 seconds and this ghetto guy stole my beer and ran away. At my job a woman slapped me because I said I don't like ghetto girls and I got attacked by 3 of her friends right after. You just get caught up in dumb situations like this because of the horrible demographic of the people. I seriously need to venture out into the woodlands or just get out of Houston completely. The low cost of living brings nothing but trash here you have a bunch of poor trashy people moving here in flocks causing nothing but problems and people see this as a plus. The money here and low cost of living does not make up for a **** poor quality of life and extreme ghettoness. Cant believe people put up with this just for a paycheck and a cookie cutter home in the burbs
Birds of a feather...

I never encounter or have seen anything like you say in houston. There is a lot of ghetto people here but i never have to interact with them if i dont want to. Socioeconomic segregation has some silver linings

Old 12-03-2013, 04:27 PM

119 posts, read 247,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamaicanSprinter View Post
teehee

Old 12-03-2013, 04:29 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,433,491 times
Quote:
Little quips like this don't help your case.
But they make me laugh, and since we'll never agree when discussing your love of the nanny state, I might as well entertain myself.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
But they make me laugh, and since we'll never agree when discussing your love of the nanny state, I might as well entertain myself.
It's not nanny state it's just basic services that are paid for in taxes. Just having a job doesn't get you far if the COL still isn't relative to inflation. Unless employers plan to raise wages more services are needed to offset the growing disparity.

Why is it all just a matter of personal responsibility to you people?

Old 12-03-2013, 05:24 PM

99 posts, read 150,198 times
Quote:
It's not nanny state it's just basic services that are paid for in taxes. Just having a job doesn't get you far if the COL still isn't relative to inflation. Unless employers plan to raise wages more services are needed to offset the growing disparity.

Why is it all just a matter of personal responsibility to you people?
The roads are in trash condition and people still believe that having semi-decent roads is inviting too much government. I find it even funnier when conservatives call for a smaller government while asking folks to vote for them...

Old 12-03-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sksainath View Post
The roads are in trash condition and people still believe that having semi-decent roads is inviting too much government. I find it even funnier when conservatives call for a smaller government while asking folks to vote for them...
That is one thing I've never understood about these right wing politicians. They're in government and all they can talk about is how inefficient it is and how it needs to be downsized. Why are they in government then? How can they be if they don't believe in it and they want to relinquish public power for more private power?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston