U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 11:47 AM

3 posts, read 13,054 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about Ponderosa Forest....I love the homes there but I am not sure how the area will be in 5-7 yrs. I currently live in the area but not in the neighborhood. I live in a new neighborhood but I hate it..too many trashy people...does anyone know anything about Ridgecrest? I love older homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 12:17 PM

2,577 posts, read 5,634,171 times
Ponderosa is nice, but I wouldn't expect a lot in the appreciation game there. The area seems stable, but stagnant. Spring Schools seem to be less desirable than Klein, so the prices suffer out there. It does have easy access to 45 and to the Hardy Toll Road.

The 100 year flood plain used to run around Castlerock St. back towards Cypress Creek. Don't know if it has changed. The last time I was out there I noticed they had torn down a few houses in the back that flooded repeatedly. South of more-or-less Castlerock (towards 1960) flooding was not an issue.

If you look at the houses in the back of Ponderosa West on Ridgecrest and west of there, you will notice they are built up on pier and beam in response to their posiition in the flood plain. If you go east of there you will see houses just as far back in the subdivision, (towards Cypress Creek) that are older and were not built up like on the west side. Obviously that could be a problem since the elevation of the land is about the same.

Also, eventually Ella Blvd will be put through. So houses cornering on that will have to deal with the traffic. There are also a couple of "cut-through" streets where people take Sugar Pine in, and then "cut over" to hit Kuykendahl while avoiding the 1960/Kuykendahl intersection.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:05 PM

1,186 posts, read 4,440,886 times
Ponderosa is a great neighborhood, I grew up there. Originally developed by Kickerillo beginning in the late 1960's, the majority of homes in the neighborhood are custom homes. It's heavily wooded and pretty well-cared for considering its age.

The schools were once Exemplary K-12, but the demographics of the Spring ISD school zone has changed dramatically over the past decade and is not as desireable as SISD once was, so resale values are a bit more stagnant than other areas in Klein, Cy-Fair and Conroe ISD.

With that said, you can get a really nice home on a good-sized lot with lots of upgrades and beautiful lush trees for less than you should be paying.

I drove through there the other day and she still looks good.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:41 PM

796 posts, read 2,536,072 times
Ponderosa is nice but in a less desirable school district (Spring ISD), therefore may have a longer days on market and less appreciation when it comes time to sell.
You can get a home there for a good price. You may consider other neighborhoods such as Terranova, Champion Forest, Spring Creek Forest, Memorial Northwest. These are older homes in the Klein school district. Spring creek forest has some of the biggest lots you will find in any neighborhood and is reasonably priced.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,847 times
Default Ponderosa Forest

I lived in Inverness Forest back in the early '70's and I remember PF. I got to move back to PF in 2000 and have been here almost 10 years now and love it. I do not have kids. It looks exactly as I remember it from the '70's thanks to deed restriction enforcement. The cut through cars now are limited to people too dumb to realize that the new Kuykendahl/1960 project eliminated congestion at that intersection. And, Traffic has waned.

I love this place.

Dave

Old 04-28-2010, 07:27 PM

7,351 posts, read 8,059,337 times
It just doesn't appreciate - but you can get a lot of home for the money - on good-sized lots. A lot would depend on whether you have school-aged children and care about the schools.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 6,550 times
We are looking to move to the area from Tampa. Can anyone tell me about the schools in the area. I have three children, 1 in each grade group K-6 /6-9 /9-12. I'm looking at Bammel Elem, Bammel Mid, and Weatfield High. Two other options are (Schultz, Hildebrandt and Klein High) or (Haude, Strack and Klein Collins High) Can someone share their opinion of the student/ teacher and school rating info. please?

Old 07-25-2010, 10:57 PM

5,345 posts, read 9,098,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.3.1movingfromlakeland View Post
We are looking to move to the area from Tampa. Can anyone tell me about the schools in the area. I have three children, 1 in each grade group K-6 /6-9 /9-12. I'm looking at Bammel Elem, Bammel Mid, and Westfield High.
Not sure how high your standards are, but generally those schools are not looked on well at all. They were actually great about 15+ years ago, then I guess a bunch of apartment developers overbuilt and too much cheap housing moved in south of FM 1960, the nicer subdivisions north of FM 1960 aged into more empty-nesters, and it was a downward spiral and complete demographic change in the schools after that.
I'd look further north/west, or to another part of town entirely.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:46 PM

12,535 posts, read 13,845,059 times
I absolutely love far North/Northwest Houston. The piney woods setting combined with the 1960-70's ranch style custom homes has a certain charm to it you can't find in the newer cookie cutter neighborhoods where every other house looks the same.

It seems you can get a lot of bang for your buck in that area of town if the sub-par public schools aren't an issue.

Most of the houses have been very well kept up over the years.

I used to live in an upscale apartment complex for several years that was in the Champions area.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:52 AM

3,697 posts, read 3,239,682 times
There is nothing wrong with the 1960 Cypress Creek corridor. The kids get the standard Texas education and the houses are great. If you think that God only loves well off white people, you will have problems living among us great unwashed. We are all kinds, all colors, all political persuasion and all preferences. Letter carriers live next door to oil company executives. There are some who grouse about Katrina People, but the demographic started to change years ago. If the real world is your cup of tea, come on down. Klein High school will be undertaking major renovations. I'd forego that for awhile. Forest and Westfield have more kids on free lunch. Not sure they qualify or have creative parents. Collins is a good school, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston