Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 04:36 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times

Advertisements

How did they run Dunkin Donuts out? There are about ten or so in town, and that seems like what it always was. Personally, I don't like Dunkin Donuts, but evidently enough people do to keep them in business. I also heard it was a KK fight between corporate and that franchise owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 05:08 PM

57 posts, read 143,843 times
I have never gotten the hype about Krispy Kreme. I live in CA and have missed Shipley's for years. KK is way too sweet and as someone stated, their consistency is different; Shipley's beats em' hands down.

We got a KK in my town and they lasted about 2 years. Then poof, they were gone (along with other locations in the US). I'm thinking they got too big too fast and overextended themselves financially.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:16 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
I agree with texas7.

Krispy Kreme is tasty, but I get the feeling that those who prefer it are the people whose taste buds have largely been influenced by fast food or otherwise heavily salted and sugared foods.

Shipleys has more of a gourmet taste, and I think that those who are more fond of down home, southern-style food would prefer it.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:18 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Anyone know when the 1st one will open???? I can hardly wait!!!!!!! Nothing beats a hot KK!!!!!!!!

Old 12-07-2013, 05:30 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
How did they run Dunkin Donuts out? There are about ten or so in town, and that seems like what it always was. Personally, I don't like Dunkin Donuts, but evidently enough people do to keep them in business. I also heard it was a KK fight between corporate and that franchise owner.
No, Dunkin Donuts just started to come back to this market. I remember we used to have them here when I was a kid, and then a lot of them closed down.

Dunkin Donuts announces plans for 16 new stores in Houston - Newswatch

More Dunkin’ Donuts to open in Houston - 29-95

Old 12-07-2013, 05:44 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
Shipley's has only been around in Houston for all those years.
I've never seen a Shipley's outside of this city.
KK has been around for the same number of years with locations all over the world and clearly has a cult following.
It's really no comparison.

More misinformation that unfortunately people in this city have been fed repeatedly and now believe.

Nice try. Shipleys has locations all throughout Texas and all throughout out the South(Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama)

http://www.shipleydonuts.ws/

Old 12-07-2013, 09:41 PM

Too-may-toe. Ta-mought-toe. Whichever one you like - just be glad we KK addicts have our fix back (and I DON'T like sugary things, normally). (...and not a fast food fan)

Old 12-07-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
No, Dunkin Donuts just started to come back to this market. I remember we used to have them here when I was a kid, and then a lot of them closed down.
The ones I know about have been there for a long time.

I think a lot of places are expanding in Houston, because of the population increases here.

This is timely: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-da...b_4391548.html
None are chains. #12 spot is in Austin - and #2 in Round Rock, TX.

There is a crème brulee donut in that group - why don't they make that here? It would be a Shut Up And Take My Money item.

Last edited by cheryjohns; 12-07-2013 at 10:03 PM..

Old 12-07-2013, 10:25 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,450,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Nice try. Shipleys has locations all throughout Texas and all throughout out the South(Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama)

http://www.shipleydonuts.ws/
Never said they didn't exist outside the city, just said I had never seen one.
Why are Shipley folks so protective of the brand?
What's wrong with a little competition?
Can't two donut places exist in this city?
It doesn't always have to been one or the other.
Geesh, you would think the mob ran Shipley's or something.....

Old 12-07-2013, 10:39 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
Never said they didn't exist outside the city, just said I had never seen one.
Why are Shipley folks so protective of the brand?
What's wrong with a little competition?
Can't two donut places exist in this city?
It doesn't always have to been one or the other.
Geesh, you would think the mob ran Shipley's or something.....
You're in a city forum bad-mouthing one of its home grown brands. Why shouldn't folks be defensive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston