Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 04:16 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,214,982 times

Advertisements

There's "old Richmond" off 90, there's unincorporated Richmond off the Grand Parkway

two different environments...old Richmond is a small town that's kinda bland if you ask me...new Richmond is what the Cinco Ranch area off the Grand Parkway was in the 90s...exploding with modern amenities

"Old" Katy is off 1-10 at Katy-FB Road but "New Katy" is Cinco Ranch area, parts of Fry on the North Side, most of 99 that's South....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 08:06 PM

11 posts, read 26,783 times
Thanks so much for the information, very diverse interpretations which is what we were hoping for.

Let me clarify, we have an empty nest so schools are not a concern. What is the traffic like driving to Katy from Richmond? Also whats the traffic like driving from Richmond to Houston and from Katy to Houston. I've tried using Google Maps with traffic in the morning and it doesn't seem that bad.

Please be honest, I will be the one driving to Houston, my wife will be driving to Katy. Currently I spend 16 hours a week behind the wheel M-F. My commute with no traffic would take 45 minutes, it's never less than 1.5 hours and I leave at 6am. I certainly can't imagine the traffic is that bad there. But I'll wait for your answers, thanks again for all the information and help!

Robert.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:48 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Where do you work? I have heard of 2 hour commutes in Houston, although they are rare. Most people have a 20-90 minute commute each way.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:01 AM

Haven't quite nailed down that location as of yet. We are sitting at 99.9% confirmation that it's a go with my wife's position but the rumor is she's gonna get it we are supposed to hear around mid December and be relocated in January. Once I have that I will push for my position with the contacts I have there in Houston, I'm a Commercial Construction Project Manager and at last check there were 141 positions available on Monster.com in a 40 mile radius of Houston.

We are very excited about this and can't wait. My wife hates the cold and I work in the DC area with entitled, lazy, apathetic government agency rep's. Here the less you "choose" to do the more reward you receive, if you fit the demographic. I am running 11mil projects with client reps who couldn't flip burgers. It really sad.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:45 AM

238 posts, read 696,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowdowntime View Post
Haven't quite nailed down that location as of yet. We are sitting at 99.9% confirmation that it's a go with my wife's position but the rumor is she's gonna get it we are supposed to hear around mid December and be relocated in January. Once I have that I will push for my position with the contacts I have there in Houston, I'm a Commercial Construction Project Manager and at last check there were 141 positions available on Monster.com in a 40 mile radius of Houston.

We are very excited about this and can't wait. My wife hates the cold and I work in the DC area with entitled, lazy, apathetic government agency rep's. Here the less you "choose" to do the more reward you receive, if you fit the demographic. I am running 11mil projects with client reps who couldn't flip burgers. It really sad.
I'm from DC, too (NOVA actually). I didn't mind the cold, but hated the traffic there. I work in downtown and will be living in Richmond (in Sugar Land at the moment), and to give you an idea of the commute:

I'll be honest and I'm not going to sugar coat it, it's going to take at least 45 minutes minimum, more likely an hour. But there are a few ways to make the commute more tolerable, you can drive up hwy 59 from Richmond to the West Bellfort park and ride (at beltway 8), and take the bus into downtown or medical center. On the bus you can take a nap or read or daydream. You can even send work emails while on the bus - it'll make you look good at work

Of course, that's assuming you will work in downtown or the medical center. If you're working at NASA or Galleria or somewhere else that isn't easily accessible by METRO from the park and ride, you'll have to suck it up and drive.

And if you leave the house before 6:30 am, it'll be more like 45 min rather than 1 hour. After 7 am, however, the early birds are already at their offices and the rush is full on. From Katy it'll be about the same.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:49 AM

99 posts, read 151,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekbiker View Post
I'm from DC, too (NOVA actually). I didn't mind the cold, but hated the traffic there. I work in downtown and will be living in Richmond, and to give you an idea of the commute:

I'll be honest and I'm not going to sugar coat it, it's going to take at least 45 minutes minimum, more likely an hour. But there are a few ways to make the commute more tolerable, you can drive up hwy 59 from Richmond to the West Bellfort park and ride (at beltway 8), and take the bus into downtown or medical center. On the bus you can take a nap or read or daydream. You can even send work emails while on the bus - it'll make you look good at work

Of course, that's assuming you will work in downtown or the medical center. If you're working at NASA or Galleria or somewhere else that isn't easily accessible by METRO from the park and ride, you'll have to suck it up and drive.

And if you leave the house before 6:30 am, it'll be more like 45 min rather than 1 hour. After 7 am, however, the early birds are already at their offices and the rush is full on. From Katy it'll be about the same.
Yeah the commute will suck even at 6:30 am. I drive to the Galleria on most day. However, they have a new Metro line 285 from Kingsland Park and Ride in Katy to Galleria. Very convenient. I10 does have a carpool lane during rush hour so that might help if you drive with someone else. If you chose Richmond near Westpark tollway, thats another option even though you will be shelling out $4+ each way. Still good to have an option. Driving into downtown or galleria during weekends isnt bad at all. I can make it to downtown from I10 and 99 in about 35 mins.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:52 AM

238 posts, read 696,151 times
Oh and see if your company will comp your metro fares. Mine does.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:37 PM

It is what it is, here after I make the long commute home to maintain a level of comfortable living style for us, I have to run a residential renovation company after I get home which always extends my day to 8 or 9pm. I still can't wrap my head around getting off work and just going home to spend time with my wife. So a 1 hour commute will be very doable.

Let me ask you though, here we have HOV lanes "High Occupancy Vehicle" (3 people) and with that we have people who work downtown or the Pentagon who wait in lines in the commuter lots to get a "free" ride to work, it's called slugging. Are there HOV lanes on any of the highways there?

Unfortunately, typically PM's have to have their car to visit the project sites, but who knows it may be different.

Thanks again.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:04 PM

705 posts, read 1,259,543 times
Katy freeway has HOV in one section, then managed lanes (toll) with an HOV lane during the rush hour. Here its only 2+ to get you in the HOV. There are people waiting in the carpool lines at the Kingsland Park and Ride, but you're rolling the dice if someone pulls up or not.

The big con for the commute from Richmond to Katy is the construction going on the grand parkway at fm 1093, but it should be near completion soon. Traffic gets really backed up in that area right now.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:07 PM

766 posts, read 1,253,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sksainath View Post
Welcome to the Houston area. I live in Katy and recently bought an investment house in Richmond. There is a difference in the Community look, choice of bars/restaurants. Cinco/Seven Meadows/Grand Lakes are very nice Master Planned Communities. The Katy area is more developed and its very walk-able. Having said that the area of Richmond just south of Westpark tollway is picking up with retail, new communities and entertainment. In a couple years, the entire arc from katy to richmond to sugarland will become even more attractive. I would recommend the area just south of Westpark tollway if you want to look in Richmond. You will get more bang for the buck as you said. The main difference at this point is maturity and school district.
Omg walkable? Are you joking? You can walk to a park maybe, but lollllll I'm rolling on the floor from this comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston