Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 10:33 AM

705 posts, read 1,259,543 times

Advertisements

Different industries/businesses have different needs. There are plenty that rather have their workers in early and get stuff done. The sooner the better. I deal with a lot of east coast associates and they're already an hour ahead by the time I get in. I can also log in from my laptop or phone if need be.

I actually find it therapeutic to drive in while its dark in the mornings, things seem quiet and its not as busy. Also get to the watch the sunrise most mornings. I think what's more depressing is with daylight savings, the ones that get off at 5, its dark by the time they get home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 11:31 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
I actually find it therapeutic to drive in while its dark in the mornings, things seem quiet and its not as busy. Also get to the watch the sunrise most mornings.
I'd enjoy a few hours of sleep more and breakfast with kids. But thats just me

Old 12-09-2013, 12:04 PM

705 posts, read 1,259,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
I'd enjoy a few hours of sleep more and breakfast with kids. But thats just me
i get 6-7 hours of sleep, and I enjoy dinner with the kids and seeing them at their activities in the afternoon. but that's just me.

And the OP is asking about different commute routes to work at a certain time so if you don't have anything to add to that then you're going off topic.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:15 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,914,072 times
Quote:
i get 6-7 hours of sleep, and I enjoy dinner with the kids and seeing them at their activities in the afternoon. but that's just me.

And the OP is asking about different commute routes to work at a certain time so if you don't have anything to add to that then you're going off topic.
Agreed. I'd rather sit around the table and ask them how their day went at 4pm than fight the daily struggle to get them out of bed, out the door at 7:00am. One is much more pleasant than the other, IMO.

I too work the 5:30 - 2:30pm schedule. Home by 3pm, zero traffic on the Westpark to 99.

But to each his own.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:22 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,309 times
LOL I get home right about dinner time. What time do you guys eat? 5pm?? 4pm? dang thats not normal

I think the #1 issue in Houston is this general understanding of what *normal* is. Everyone seem to just adjust to the new normal... like paying for expensive alarm/security systems and services, community pools + backyard pool scenarios, golf courses, crazy commutes and work hours etc

Old 12-09-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
LOL I get home right about dinner time. What time do you guys eat? 5pm?? 4pm? dang thats not normal
5ish, sometimes 6pm. Early to bed, early to rise mentality.

I've done the 8-5 work day and with traffic, my commute goes from 20min to 45-50min each way. By working these (admittedly) earlier hours, I reduce my commute time 1 hour/day, 5 days week, 4.3 weeks/month, 12 months/year = 258 hours/year saved. I just created 10.75 days of free time at home.

It's like time travel without the DeLorean and Flux Capacitor.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I think the #1 issue in Houston is this general understanding of what *normal* is. Everyone seem to just adjust to the new normal... like paying for expensive alarm/security systems and services, community pools + backyard pool scenarios, golf courses etc
Sure, to a lot of people, especially those that live in the suburbs, that is a concept of normal.

My brother and sister in law work afternoons/nights though ITL; I'm waking up when they're going to bed. So normal is a perception, not necessarily a blanket reality. It just so happens to be that Houston has a large portion of people who perceive normal to be what you mentioned.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:32 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,768,770 times
I am in the early group as well. I take 59 in from Sugarland and it is an easy commute to my office near the Galleria. Takes about 30 minutes and I am parked and at my desk in about 35 most days. I also get to get on my 550i a bit without too many people in the way. I normally get in around 6:45am.
Like others I get to spend the evening with my family and attend and coach my kids sports or go to mathnasium or some other event. That to me is priceless. Doesn't matter if I live right next to my office, if I were forced to work 9-5 i would probably seek employment elsewhere. Sure there are the times when i have to work all night but that is typically not normal so I don't mind when it happens.

Back to the question though...59 is pretty good between 6 and 7am. I drive it every day during that time.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:35 PM

Yes, to address the OPs question... Two of these arterial freeways (I-10 and 59) serve hundreds of thousands of vehicles each day, and the Westpark has a very finite capacity for vehicles. All 3 become near parking lots the closer to 8am you get, I-10 probably being the worst of them and probably takes the longest to clear out (by 9am, Westpark is clear and 59 is moving fairly steadily minus the junctions at Sam Houston and farther down the road at 610.) You're better off leaving your house by 6am, work by 4pm if you plan on taking these routes out to/past 99.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:38 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
I leave around 6am and i10 main lanes get backed up around Westgreen, all the way until after Dairy Ashford and then it opens up and it's pretty fluid after that all the way into downtown. Not sure why it bottlenecks in that section. I take the HOV/tollway so I do not deal with that backup, and my commute is only about 35 mins.
A couple reasons: it is where everyone in Katy is getting on the freeway, then many are getting off in the energy corridor, then I-10 gets another lane after Dairy Ashford (tollway exit to enter the freeway) which opens things up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston