Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 03:47 PM

99 posts, read 151,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
From my understanding, the street where this woman was killed has a bike lane, so the city was quite directly telling her to use her bike on that street. We don't know if she was actually riding in the bike lane or not, but the point is the street was a designated bike route.
From what I remember riding my bike to school in Fremont/San Jose (SF bay area), the bikes lanes were much wider and had extra width between the car lane and the bike lane as a buffer zone. I have seen several of these bike lanes in the Memorial area and they are barely wide enough to ride the bike. There is no scope for a mistake to happen. I would much rather they not have a bike lane in such instances because it encourages bikers but it is not safe for them. I have heard of the bike share programs in downtown and sure hope they have designated proper bike lanes instead of just painting a white line on the corner of the road and claiming it is a bike lane. I am not familiar with the street where this woman was killed but I think it is high time for the City to revisit this issue and have the vision to provide everyone on the road a safeguard. Accidents happen but these tragic accidents can be prevented to some extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 04:03 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sksainath View Post
From what I remember riding my bike to school in Fremont/San Jose (SF bay area), the bikes lanes were much wider and had extra width between the car lane and the bike lane as a buffer zone. I have seen several of these bike lanes in the Memorial area and they are barely wide enough to ride the bike. There is no scope for a mistake to happen. I would much rather they not have a bike lane in such instances because it encourages bikers but it is not safe for them. I have heard of the bike share programs in downtown and sure hope they have designated proper bike lanes instead of just painting a white line on the corner of the road and claiming it is a bike lane. I am not familiar with the street where this woman was killed but I think it is high time for the City to revisit this issue and have the vision to provide everyone on the road a safeguard. Accidents happen but these tragic accidents can be prevented to some extent.
I'm from San Francisco, so I understand completely what you mean about their bike lanes. And yes, there are some bike lanes in Houston that are really just gutters. When I come across a poorly maintained bike lane, I do take the lane. Because as a cyclist we are such vulnerable road users, we will do whatever is necessary to put ourselves in the safest place possible. I'm super aware of my surroundings when I ride. I make eye contact and constantly check behind me. The squeaky wheel approach needs to happen. Our city council members must be contacted to let them know that we believe everyone should be safe on the Houston roads.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:43 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
I'm from San Francisco, so I understand completely what you mean about their bike lanes. And yes, there are some bike lanes in Houston that are really just gutters. When I come across a poorly maintained bike lane, I do take the lane. Because as a cyclist we are such vulnerable road users, we will do whatever is necessary to put ourselves in the safest place possible. I'm super aware of my surroundings when I ride. I make eye contact and constantly check behind me. The squeaky wheel approach needs to happen. Our city council members must be contacted to let them know that we believe everyone should be safe on the Houston roads.
So basically you admit to not following the rules/laws that you went to Austin to push to get passed? If there's a bike lane present and a bike rider chooses to not ride in it but instead to take up an entire lane and not maintain the posted speed limit why wouldn't motorists stuck behind them have the right to get frustrated or upset?

If you don't personally approve of the quality of the bike lanes why not ride on a path that you do like?

Old 12-11-2013, 08:42 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,312 times
kinda sad that you people are using her death as some bicycle propaganda. how about something less about you guys/ how about asking her parent if you don't have a clue how she needs to be remembered

Old 12-11-2013, 09:03 PM

3 posts, read 2,558 times
I can tell you her mom and dad are amazed at how many lives she touched. They participated at the bike ride on Sunday and are very supportive of the memorial bike ride tonight. They know how much biking, being green, etc... Meant to Chelsea and are proud of all of the change and awareness this is bringing about. They are awesome people and went above and beyond, letting who she was be expressed at the memorial services. I can tell you personally that they are very supportive of bicycle safety not just because I knew Chelsea but because I know them. It's written all over their Facebook posts and they spoke of it at her memorial. In the words of her father " it is what it is. It's what you do from there that matters."

Old 12-12-2013, 07:31 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
So basically you admit to not following the rules/laws that you went to Austin to push to get passed? If there's a bike lane present and a bike rider chooses to not ride in it but instead to take up an entire lane and not maintain the posted speed limit why wouldn't motorists stuck behind them have the right to get frustrated or upset?

If you don't personally approve of the quality of the bike lanes why not ride on a path that you do like?
You may want to read his post again, because he says he does ride in the crappy bike lanes that are there. I think you may have read it wrong. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston