Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 01:26 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,018,139 times

Advertisements

Absolutely no way on the FBISD side of SCR if you are interested in schools. AISD may not be that great, but it's a much better choice than FBISD SCR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 01:31 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,018,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Salizar View Post
This is excellent advice. I think I will take it. Besides First Colony (for Clements) and Sweetwater (for Dulles) areas, what other areas in Sugar Land should we be looking at?

Meyerland and Bellaire is probably going to come down to pure luck if a home pops up we like.
Do you want new construction? I was reading your posts that way. If you do want new, you are looking at Riverstone and Sienna. I think both are good options for a med center commute via the Tollway or 90. Sienna a little bit cheaper and closer to the med center, Riverstone closer to Sugar Land retail and 59.

First Colony is all resale, and will push your budget because of Clements. Dulles zoned will also be all resale, but quite a bit more affordable and just as nice homes. I would not discount resale. Tax rates will be much lower and properties will appreciate faster.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:35 PM

28 posts, read 64,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
Do you want new construction? I was reading your posts that way. If you do want new, you are looking at Riverstone and Sienna. I think both are good options for a med center commute via the Tollway or 90. Sienna a little bit cheaper and closer to the med center, Riverstone closer to Sugar Land retail and 59.

First Colony is all resale, and will push your budget because of Clements. Dulles zoned will also be all resale, but quite a bit more affordable and just as nice homes. I would not discount resale. Tax rates will be much lower and properties will appreciate faster.

Newer would be better, but we don't mind a resale at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
We owned a home and lived in SCR for more than 7 years until last year. It's by no means unlivable or unsafe, but there was a clear downward trend during that period. The number of rentals kept going up, the upkeep of properties started to go down, the crime rate steadily crept up.

As far as the schools, we still have many friends in SCR and most of them still like living in the neighborhood, but a good number have put their kids in private school.

The retail in the area also serves as the closest retail for some of the worst neighborhoods in the Houston area, and shopping is less pleasant there than most other suburban retail. Go check out that Walmart for example, and even the HEB.

The traffic is beyond horrible, both locally on 518 (almost all the time), and into Houston via 288 during work travel hours.

There is a budget for which SCR is still a decent choice, but at $450k, I'd say it's a pretty terrible choice, one of the worst you can make. Sugar Land is within your budget, and I'd definitely rather go there and deal with a little bit more of a commute. Then you have Westbury remodels in your budget that may be smaller than you want but you eliminate the commute. Both are much better choices, IMO.
What are your thoughts on Silverlake?

Riverstone and Sienna seem great. There are a few homes currently on sale in First Colony that we could afford. I'm just very wary on having my kids attend the public schools there... I know they're highly rated, but I not sure I want my kids around that crowd. Also considering New Territory and Telfar, but now we're getting even further from the TMC. The distance from the TMC makes Sugar Land less desirable, but the plans to turn 288 into a toll road make Pearland WAY less desirable!

Old 01-06-2014, 11:57 AM

551 posts, read 1,573,747 times
SCR homes, even though in Pearland, are zoned to Alvin ISD. Alvin ISD is not as highly rated as Pearland ISD. I've had three children in Pearland ISD, all have done very well. For the most part teachers and administration are great! If you do choose Pearland, I would stick with Silvercreek or Silverlake. The traffic on 518 is a nightmare but there are ways around it. I have lived in Pearland since 1999 and love it. Someone mentioned going to the HEB and Walmart to see how Pearland is. I don't go to Walmart anywhere. They cater to the same kind of people and have the worst customer service no matter where the Walmart is. The HEB has a great international section so many people come from outside of Pearland to shop there. That doesn't bother me, but if you want to beat the crowd don't go on Saturday morning or Sunday between 10-noon. Pearland Town Center is nice and the shopping area at CR 90 and 518 with Randall's Kohl's, Target etc. is very easy access from Silvercreek and Silverlake.
Good luck with your decision.
BTW-I like Sugarland but the traffic there is no better than in Pearland!

Old 05-11-2014, 10:36 AM

I would like to update this thread for anyone out there who may be facing a similar decision. We ended up moving to the Silverlake/Silvercreek area and love it! Compared to all the other MPCs we toured (First Colony, Telfair, Sugar Creek, Riverstone, Fall Creek, Southern Trails, Shadow Creek Ranch: way too many I know), we felt like Silverlake and Silvercreek had the best combination of great schools, relatively low property taxes and ethic diversity. Moreover, many of the negative things I read here about Pearland (smells, too much riff raft, bad schools) were completely unfounded. We love living here and couldn't be happier. Good luck!

Old 05-11-2014, 03:46 PM

56 posts, read 112,413 times
I'm glad you revived this thread just because it have me a chance to read through it. I live in SCR and I think you made the best choice. If I could sell my house and move to Silverlake/Silvercreek I would. Silverlake/Silvercreek just has a more "manicured" feel to it. The homes are older but the look of the neighborhood is nicer.

And not that Silverlake/Silvercreek is necessarily "monied" but if I had to compare this area to SCR I'd say Silverlake/Silvercreek is "old money" while SCR is "new money". Again, not that either one is actually "monied", especially in comparison to West U, RO, Bellaire, etc. but you know what I mean. One (SCR) is flashier/shinier (newer) than SL/SC but SL/SC is just overall nicer.

Anyway, good choice. SCR and Alvin ISD is growing so flipping fast, no stability is how I feel. SCR is totally fine, don't get me wrong. The whole crime thing.... I've NEVER experienced any of it or heard of anyone who has. We have nice, big homes. The schools (elementary) seem to be good.

But in the end, if I could do it all over again I'd choose Silverlake/Silvercreek.

This is probably stupid of me to post (downing my own 'hood) but it may help someone in the future.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouMomof2 View Post
I'm glad you revived this thread just because it have me a chance to read through it. I live in SCR and I think you made the best choice. If I could sell my house and move to Silverlake/Silvercreek I would. Silverlake/Silvercreek just has a more "manicured" feel to it. The homes are older but the look of the neighborhood is nicer.

And not that Silverlake/Silvercreek is necessarily "monied" but if I had to compare this area to SCR I'd say Silverlake/Silvercreek is "old money" while SCR is "new money". Again, not that either one is actually "monied", especially in comparison to West U, RO, Bellaire, etc. but you know what I mean. One (SCR) is flashier/shinier (newer) than SL/SC but SL/SC is just overall nicer.

Anyway, good choice. SCR and Alvin ISD is growing so flipping fast, no stability is how I feel. SCR is totally fine, don't get me wrong. The whole crime thing.... I've NEVER experienced any of it or heard of anyone who has. We have nice, big homes. The schools (elementary) seem to be good.

But in the end, if I could do it all over again I'd choose Silverlake/Silvercreek.

This is probably stupid of me to post (downing my own 'hood) but it may help someone in the future.
I loved SCR. It was a really tough decision. We really liked the elementary and middle school options in SCR, but with my oldest getting ready to go to high school soon, we felt like Dawson in Silverlake/Silvercreek was the way to go. I completely agree with the old vs new money analogies. I personally think that in 1-2 decades when it gets built out and the long-term plans begin to become reality, SCR will be the premier MPC in the Houston area. It was very tempting for us to buy-in now that prices are more reasonable than in Sugar Land.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Salizar View Post
I loved SCR. It was a really tough decision. We really liked the elementary and middle school options in SCR, but with my oldest getting ready to go to high school soon, we felt like Dawson in Silverlake/Silvercreek was the way to go. I completely agree with the old vs new money analogies. I personally think that in 1-2 decades when it gets built out and the long-term plans begin to become reality, SCR will be the premier MPC in the Houston area. It was very tempting for us to buy-in now that prices are more reasonable than in Sugar Land.
You're probably right. I surely do hope so. Dawson HS appears to be a great school (looks beautiful as well) but the new Shadow Creek Ranch HS that will be built within the next two years or so.... I think it'll be a great school as well (Lord willing).

Old 05-12-2014, 07:10 AM

238 posts, read 696,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouMomof2 View Post
You're probably right. I surely do hope so. Dawson HS appears to be a great school (looks beautiful as well) but the new Shadow Creek Ranch HS that will be built within the next two years or so.... I think it'll be a great school as well (Lord willing).
Is this new HS zoned to FBISD or alvin? Where do I get info on this?

Old 05-12-2014, 08:03 AM

Default Shadow Creek Ranch High School

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekbiker View Post
Is this new HS zoned to FBISD or alvin? Where do I get info on this?
Alvin ISD. Alvin ISD High School #3

There's more info on the Alvin ISD website, I just can't find it right now. It's suppose to service all of West Pearland (SCR, Southern Trails, etc.). When I watched the vision for the school given by the Superintendent it seems like it's going to be really nice and innovative. Hopefully his vision matches reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston