Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 06:47 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,275 times

Advertisements

I see more and more of those Houston incidents where life don't seem to matter to much to our police officers. I always see the so called "attempted to run down the deputy" cases, so the bad guy had to be killed. What about get outta of the day, let him run, arrest him later and spare his life? He wrote a bad check, does he deserve to die, really?

I personally think our police is becoming more and more like bunch of bullies high on adrenaline willing to kill anyone for the smalls mistake. And yes I am sure some of you will say, you don't know what happened and well, he tried to run over the officer so he killed him. But to me this case is so obvious and simple. Let the man run, don't chase him, don't get in front of his SUV to use the "run over" excuse and kill him....

Is it just me that feels this way or is OK for our police to act so lethally for the smallest infractions. Sh*it I am scare to drive on the street now with one of those sikos pulling a stunt like this on me.

HCSO: Off-duty Prairie View A&M police officer shoots, kills man in parking lot | khou.com Houston

Old 12-29-2013, 07:05 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
It wasn't an HPD officer but I could say the same thing about these darn thugs on our streets - human life is so invaluable to people that they kill people for a car, for what's in their homes, to rob them while eating at a Denny's or Subway.

You're right though, I don't know the story of what happened at the Walgreens but honestly, I don't care what happens to someone if they are committing a crime - they chose a dangerous way to live. I only get concerned when an innocent person is killed for no reason, when not running from a crime, etc. That seems to happen on a low frequency scale. If an officer stops you in pursuit by stepping in front of your car, for heaven's sake - STOP. People think they can just steal and the like and just run and not have to pay any consequences. I'm tired of people thinking they can just take things rather than work. I understand what you are saying but really if they let people run - at what point is it enough? Where do we draw the line of how much one can steal?

Old 12-29-2013, 07:16 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,039 times
Yes let him run so he can commit more crimes while running away!

You would think different when the next crime involves you or a family member. Then you would of wish the officer would of stopped him the previous time.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:32 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Kind of like the drunk woman in Pasadena who was caught shoplifting at a Walmart in the middle of the night a couple of weeks ago. Walmart let her go with no charges. They caught her and no punishment. She came back an hour later, stealing again - this time she ran and knocked down a store security person, then in the process of running - ran a red light and killed an innocent woman and seriously injuring the woman's 14 year old daughter.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:18 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Why does everybody has to be so extremist and go to talk about how some criminals should be shot.
Yes, some should be shot.... guess what, there's also times when police officers should not shoot and that's what Ethanw is talking about.

Because some SOB shoot be shot in the head (holding somebody hostage) doesn't mean that police officers should go around shooting anybody that pisses them off.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:41 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Because some SOB shoot be shot in the head (holding somebody hostage) doesn't mean that police officers should go around shooting anybody that pisses them off.
Unfortunately, there are a good number of LEOs that have trouble making the distinction between crimes that require the use of force and crimes that don't. The problem is mostly society's fault since LEOs are given a lot more leeway with respect to using lethal force than is the average person.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:09 AM

693 posts, read 1,107,891 times
I'm all for off duty cops shooting criminals. The location was at veterans memorial and Antoine. I hardly think the off duty cop shot an innocent bystander. This was not a River Oaks area drug store.

There are many liberties cops take and rules they bend. Lots of crooked cops out there and the original poster seems to have an agenda here.

This shooting doesn't bother me.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:41 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,275 times
I have no agenda mate, none at all. It just makes me sad to see a small time crook loosing his life over what I think is police over reaction.

What makes me even sadder is that so many of you think this is just fine and it does prove my theory. I don't believe that we as an American society value life too much or any for that matter. We're just helping the police even more to behave in this manner thinking that is ok to jump in front of a car and use the "attempted to run down the deputy" excuse to murder the poor guy.

Someone here said what it was family, I will be thankful for the police. I will turn around and say what if the small crook was someone in your family? Would you be ok with family loosing his/her life over a insignificant offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
I'm all for off duty cops shooting criminals. The location was at veterans memorial and Antoine. I hardly think the off duty cop shot an innocent bystander. This was not a River Oaks area drug store.

There are many liberties cops take and rules they bend. Lots of crooked cops out there and the original poster seems to have an agenda here.

This shooting doesn't bother me.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:00 AM

76 posts, read 236,832 times
go on youtube and you'll find rampant police abuse all over, not just Houston. The problem is they hire sociopathic tendencies as well. They are allowed to lie per the law and they aren't trained how to control their authority. They will lie and manipulate to get info from you so they can arrest you so that you will have to spend money to pay towards their system. Then they get a slap on the wrist, a few weeks of paid suspension, a desk job until the city forgets and then they're back on the job. And we all go back to watching ESPN, the Kardashians and our XBOXs like nothing happened. We won't unite and stand up for unjust actions because we're too busy, but if there is a game or concert playing, we'll gather in droves of 50K to 100K in order to root for our celebrities/athletes. As bad as that all sounds, its just how it is.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:15 AM

693 posts, read 1,107,891 times
Don't act like a thug or drunkard in public and you'll be ok in most cases. I don't agree with the cops and their money generating schemes for speeding tickets/overtime pay, or vice preying on SOBs. Furthermore I don't approve of the blood draws at dwi stops. That being said I will gladly support the use of brute force or deadly force to take down violent criminals and criminals evading arrest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston