Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 11:48 AM

49 posts, read 85,813 times

Advertisements

We dont want to be pushed to the burbs if we can avoid it at all . I see your point about 77024 , waiting to buy there might only make the market go upwards... There are some good listings in 77079 within 700K though ... thoughts?

10934 Saint Marys Ln, Houston, TX 77079 - HAR.com

14022 Perthshire Rd, Houston, TX 77079 - HAR.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
With your budget you really need to look somewhere other than 77024, $700k just isn't realistic and is a stretch even in 77079 east of Kirkwood. I live in Nottingham Forest, west of Kirkwood, zoned to Meadow Wood, Spring Forest and Stratford. Your budget is fine here and even better west of Dairy Ashford.

Most kids attend public here, many do go private too. None of these schools rock the ratings on paper but I suggest you tour the schools, walk the neighborhood and talk to the people who live here. These a good public schools and the neighborhoods have a lot to offer with park access and adjacent shops and services. No doubt the ratings and SFMS will improve with three big apartment complexes being razed but the diversity will still be here in the remaining condos and apartments.

The Oak Forest suggestion is a good one too, and with 77055 you can spend what you save on house sending the kids private. Not a bad option either if you're just not comfortable with public schools as some on here clearly aren't - not that there's anything wrong with that, we plan to keep that option on the back burner. Going private opens up some great housing choices much with a much better commute.

What's good about this area is the location. It serves the EC and Westchase in the same way West U serves downtown and the Med center. And the Galleria isn't too bad a commute either. Access to the I-10, Westheimer, City Centre, Town & County etc. is great. These neighborhoods do not exist in some special bubble where they would depreciate in the order of 20% while the rest of Houston is sitting pretty. That's just not realisitic.

I thought the commute from Sugarland to Downtown wasn't too bad, have you looked there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 12:06 PM

Also , ToyYot , your honest reply made think...need to work on that promotion real quick

Old 01-02-2014, 12:22 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,789,810 times
Those places look nice...although either probably could've been gotten for $150k less a couple of years ago.

If you're considering homes from this vintage, place a premium on those that have upgraded plumbing, electrical panel, A/C, insulation, windows, etc... Flippers are quick to lay down new carpeting and deck out the kitchen in stainless and granite, but many will shy away from the more-expensive system upgrades. Also, a tip unique to this side of 77079...steer clear of the Long Point Fault Line. If that Saint Marys house isn't on it, it's pretty close to it. Long Point Fault homes are pretty much the only ones in this 'hood that sit on the market for long.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:00 PM

264 posts, read 441,716 times
Nismom, we looked at the house on St. Marys! Don't think it is worth the price at all. As you can see, there is a reason for it sitting on the market, plus I believe there has been a price reduction. You can easily hear the traffic on I-10. It has zero curb appeal in person. There were a number of people attending the open house a few weeks ago and I never saw a pending. They did a pretty nice job with the kitchen but it has this awkward high cabinet area. The family room is also an awkward space, if I recall correctly. Master was blah. Not a basic rectangle but I remember it being cut off somewhere. I'm sure there will be another open house on this one soon. This area is doing a lot of tear downs and rebuilds.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:16 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,129,693 times
[SIZE=3]The Perthshire Rd house is on a cul-de-sac opening out onto Kirkwood, a major thoroughfare. This effectively cuts off the house from the neighborhood. In this house you are, in effect, not living in a neighborhood at all! A big part of the appeal of this area is the neighborhood feel and how kids can ride their bikes safely to their friends house, school, etc, etc.. Also, being overlooked by the Bateswood Apts would be a negative for most.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]This house has been for sale for some time for a reason.[/SIZE]

Old 01-02-2014, 02:27 PM

12302 Barryknoll Ln, Houston, TX 77024 - HAR.com

29 Bayou Shadows St, Houston, TX 77024 - HAR.com

??

Old 01-02-2014, 02:37 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Barryknoll...that's the Mall and the Hospital right there! Also you back to the commercial alley way for restaurants...4 am deliveries anyone?

The Bayou Shadows place might not be all that bad. But those are all older, retirees in there. No access to friends or other neighborhoods. Flooding.Horrible traffic noise, and not to mention terrible traffic just to get in or leave home during rush hours. Flat roof nightmare as well.

If these are you choices, it would be better to buy north of the freeway and go private , or buy a townhouse in Somerset or Ethans Glen.

Ps, I don't mind commenting on location, but commenting on an individual's dwelling seems wrong to me. This could turn into a "Trash That House " thread really fast.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:38 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,129,693 times
Barryknoll - absolutely hideous location!!
Bayou - also on Gessner, that's a tough sell.

I sense you're a bit hung up on the zip code?!

Old 01-02-2014, 02:38 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,768,770 times
The Barryknoll house is on the corner. The Gessner traffic will be relentless, not to mention the mall and hospital. It backs up to the retail on Kingsride as well.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:44 PM

Hung up on the schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
Barryknoll - absolutely hideous location!!
Bayou - also on Gessner, that's a tough sell.

I sense you're a bit hung up on the zip code?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston