Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 01:51 PM

49 posts, read 85,143 times

Advertisements

Considering 77079 and 77024. Couple in 30s with KG kid, considering public schooling ...what are your thoughts? Budget < 700K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 01:56 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,750,811 times
You money will go farther and you will have more choices in 77079. You will have to be on the hunt and move quickly for homes in that price range in 77024 as they tend to go very fast. Heck most homes under a million go fast in that part of town unless they are on a busy street\fault line etc...
Good schools in both but not all of 77079 is zoned to the highly acclaimed SBISB schools so you will have to check.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:58 PM

5,581 posts, read 4,844,606 times
Agree with the above. I would think 77024 homes below $700K will likely need a whole bunch of updating or repairs. A hidden area to look in within 77079 is north of the Katy Freeway off Kirkwood. Also the portions of 77079 zoned to KISD - the elementary (Wolfe) seems to have a good reputation though the high school seems to be less desirable.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:03 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,382,347 times
There really isn't a lot of inventory in either area. There are only 44 homes for sale in both zips combined under 700k, half of which seem to be pending....Sub-700 in both zips isn't going to be a fully updated house away from busier streets or off a fault line. However you will get more for your money in 77079. The farther west you go, the cheaper they get, and the schools change close to Eldridge. If the property is nice, it will go fast to someone who has an extremely strong offer(ie mostly cash or all cash). You have to compete with cash ready builders half the time..

Frostwood Elem is going to be the most diverse elem, with all the townhouses and apartments zoned to it. Some of those complexes are almost entirely Asian. Ie. The Pines.

While 77079 has a glut of lower income apartments aound Tully and Dairy Ashford, they are starting to be torn down, making way for expensive townhouse rentals. It's yet to be known who the residents will be. Singles, Empty Nesters,Or families trying to hit the better schools.

I would highly suggest taking a family walk together through any single family neighborhood you are considering to get a true feel for it and its residents.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 12-30-2013 at 03:12 PM..

Old 12-30-2013, 03:57 PM

49 posts, read 85,143 times
We have driven through 77024.. What we found odd is lack of sidewalks...busy roads are ok. You said frost wood is diverse. In a good way I imagine? Please elaborate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
There really isn't a lot of inventory in either area. There are only 44 homes for sale in both zips combined under 700k, half of which seem to be pending....Sub-700 in both zips isn't going to be a fully updated house away from busier streets or off a fault line. However you will get more for your money in 77079. The farther west you go, the cheaper they get, and the schools change close to Eldridge. If the property is nice, it will go fast to someone who has an extremely strong offer(ie mostly cash or all cash). You have to compete with cash ready builders half the time..

Frostwood Elem is going to be the most diverse elem, with all the townhouses and apartments zoned to it. Some of those complexes are almost entirely Asian. Ie. The Pines.

While 77079 has a glut of lower income apartments aound Tully and Dairy Ashford, they are starting to be torn down, making way for expensive townhouse rentals. It's yet to be known who the residents will be. Singles, Empty Nesters,Or families trying to hit the better schools.

I would highly suggest taking a family walk together through any single family neighborhood you are considering to get a true feel for it and its residents.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:10 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,382,347 times
Big tree roots and shifting soil in the area make sidewalks hazardous. We use the neighborhood streets without issue. Memorial has a sidewalk, and some of the roads like Strey and Bunker Hill do too,if you are into traffic noise when you stroll.

Diverse as in, if you are looking for more cultures other than white.

Ps, a drive will not give you the same interaction with the residents that a walk will. You learn a lot about an area through interaction. You are buying the neighborhood and the neighbors,as well as the house and school.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 12-30-2013 at 04:22 PM..

Old 12-30-2013, 04:18 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,669,731 times
Your budget is way too low for Memorial. At 700K I would look at Spring Branch, Oak Forest, or Garden Oaks. It is sad to say that 700K is not much for a home anymore.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:35 PM
fnh

2,887 posts, read 3,884,133 times
Seriously, people consider Frostwood to be diverse? LOL!

IF you believe that SBISD is doing something intrinsically 'special' (I don't), AND you want a school population slightly more reflective of reality, AND you have a budget of only $700K, AND you don't want to be in the distant suburbia of 77079... why not look north of I-10 in 77055?

Old 12-30-2013, 04:49 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,750,811 times
Curious what the school population slightly more reflective of reality means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Seriously, people consider Frostwood to be diverse? LOL!

IF you believe that SBISD is doing something intrinsically 'special' (I don't), AND you want a school population slightly more reflective of reality, AND you have a budget of only $700K, AND you don't want to be in the distant suburbia of 77079... why not look north of I-10 in 77055?

Old 12-30-2013, 05:11 PM
fnh

2,887 posts, read 3,884,133 times
Frostwood is, what, 75% white? And quite affluent I might add. Show me an area school with a higher percentage in a city with a minority white population. The next represented demographic, Asian, is crammed into nearby apartment/townhomes (e.g. The Pines, see above). I have a hard time believing the Hispanic population is even 10%, maybe it is, but the AA population is certainly negligible.

Point is, the school scores are great but principally reflect a predominantly white, very affluent demographic, and nothing more. Otherwise, why are the SBISD schools north of I-10 undesirable? Heck, even the eastern 77079 schools were considered iffy until fairly recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston